PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed!

farsk
08-02-2003, 03:28 PM
Hello everyone!
The questions begin!

1. How does everyone get the cute pics of their babies on their posts? I tried to attach, but it didn't come up like yours.

2. Is it awful to rock a newborn to sleep? Are we setting ourselves up for heartache later?

3. How did you get your little one on a "schedule" and how long did it take before they were somewhat predictable? (Can you tell I'm a first time mom?)

4. Did you wake your little ones during the night to feed or let them wake to let you know they were hungry? (Ellen is 10 days old)

5. What other advice do you have for a sleep-deprived but happy first time mom?

Thanks for everything!

-Shannon
Mom to Ellen 7/23/2003

liya
08-02-2003, 06:40 PM
>Hello everyone!
>The questions begin!
>
>1. How does everyone get the cute pics of their babies on
>their posts? I tried to attach, but it didn't come up like
>yours.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=read_count&om=1770&forum=DCForumID30&viewmode=threaded this is a post for the free networks...you have to take the picture and make it 48x48 then post it somewhere where it has a url(i have picturetrail but the thread above says how you can do it for free) ...tke the url post it in your user profile (where it says avatar) and thats it...
>
>2. Is it awful to rock a newborn to sleep? Are we setting
>ourselves up for heartache later?

You know i did and Arian got a little used to it...and still now at 5 months we have to somewhat rock him to sleep...its a pain sometimes but hes slowly getting used to mommy and daddy not rocking him to sleep....He gotta do what ya gotta do to get some sleep... ;)
>
>3. How did you get your little one on a "schedule" and how
>long did it take before they were somewhat predictable? (Can
>you tell I'm a first time mom?)

Ok you will know: poop, pee, hunger, sleep and just mom im bored....Right now it all gets extremely confusing cause youll never know whats what...so you find yourself checking everything to see whats wrong...Still now at 5.5 months sometimes im ratting my brain trying to find out whats wrong with him...But sometimes they do get cranky for no aparent reason...lol...but you will know more and more as time goes by....you will quickly learn the hunger signs...lol...
>
>4. Did you wake your little ones during the night to feed or
>let them wake to let you know they were hungry? (Ellen is 10
>days old)

If your breast or bottle feeding it doesnt matter...your little one will wake up on her own and she will let you know shes hungry TRUST ME she will let you know....no need to wake her up...She will establish her own feeding patterns...
>
>5. What other advice do you have for a sleep-deprived but
>happy first time mom?

Take naps when you baby takes naps....your going to need all the energy you have

Forget about your house...if you have someone let someone else clean it for you(especially if your breastfeeding right now your still establishing your milk supply)

If you are breastfeeding make sure not to offer a bottle until at about 4-6 weeks this can interfere with your milk supply..

Have hubby help you in anyway he can..

And enjoy your baby cause pretty soon she will be a big girl...they grow so fast...Enjoy the newborn peace fase(yes i said peace)....as long as possible... ;)
>

HTH

Marisa6826
08-02-2003, 07:32 PM
1. How does everyone get the cute pics of their babies on their posts? I tried to attach, but it didn't come up like yours.

I can't explain this one easily. What I did was attach a small picture (it has to be less than 50mb) to one thread and then copy that URL to the avatar line in my profile. There were a few threads by "stillplayswithbarbies" a couple months back. Do a search and you should be able to find it.

2. Is it awful to rock a newborn to sleep? Are we setting ourselves up for heartache later?

I still rock Sophie till she's just a little sleepy and then put her in her crib while she's awake but groggy. Trust me - start early on this one!

3. How did you get your little one on a "schedule" and how long did it take before they were somewhat predictable? (Can you tell I'm a first time mom?)

Don't even TRY to get yourself on a schedule before the first 12-14 weeks. The baby is still WAY WAY too young to even consider this. She will start to create her own little schedule around 12w.

4. Did you wake your little ones during the night to feed or let them wake to let you know they were hungry? (Ellen is 10 days old)

Unless your DD is underweight, generally don't let her sleep more than three hours during the DAY. At night let her go as long as she wants. She will DEFINITELY let you know when she's ready to eat. Also - keep the lights low, don't talk and play with her or change her dipe (unless it's poopy) at night. Feed her and put her right back to sleep.

5. What other advice do you have for a sleep-deprived but happy first time mom?

Get help, take others up on offers to watch the baby even if it's so you can take a shower or go for a walk. Sleep when the baby sleeps - housework can wait! If people ask what they can do, tell them to bring you a casserole to freeze. Day to day life actually is better if you leave the house even for a half hour. TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF FIRST!!!! Oh - and drink lots of water :)

Welcome to Mommyhood! It's the hardest and best job you'll ever have! :)

-m