PDA

View Full Version : Co-sleeping / through the night?

deborah_r
08-03-2003, 10:27 PM
Calling all co-sleepers (and former co-sleepers)!!! I'm wondering what my chances of getting DS to sleep through the night are while we are co-sleeping. I still don't feel like I actually get any real sleep, because he fusses so much and usually wants to eat at around 10pm, 2:30am and again around 5:30 or 6am.

Would I be better off to have some truly sleepless nights getting him to sleep in the crib, and put an end to the co-sleeping?

kaitlinsmommy
08-03-2003, 11:27 PM
I think it's definitely a personal decision for you and dh to make. Our dd didn't sleep through the night until 2 months and I thought that was really early. She slept with us for a couple months but, like you, we didn't always sleep as well because we were worried about a pillow getting in her face, etc. If ds is waking because he is truly hungry (which would be normal for his age), you'll still be getting up to fetch him from his crib.

DD now sleeps fine in her crib and usually through the night. But I can say that she now wakes more often to nurse when she does sleep next to me. I think just knowing my breast is right next to her gives her ideas.

Co-sleeping certainly has its downside but there's nothing like seeing your angel's face when you wake up. Just my opinion. Good luck!

Melanie
08-04-2003, 02:45 AM
Ds does not sleep through the night. We started putting him in his bed (crib mattress on floor) a few months ago, to start out the night. He still does not sleep through the night, there, either. So that threw that theory out of the window for us!

Have you read the "No Cry Sleep Solution?" It has some good tips and helped us get MORE sleep, but I don't follow it real well...perhaps I'd get more sleep if I moved beyond step one! LOL

MartiesMom2B
08-04-2003, 07:37 AM
DD did not sleep through the night until she sucked her thumb around 3 months.

What I did when we weren't able to sleep well with Martie in bed with us was put her in her crib the first thing at night. When she woke up that's when I put her into bed with us. She would sleep longer stretches until she slept through the night. Now she sleeps in the crib.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

C99
08-04-2003, 07:40 AM
I agree; it's really a personal decision. We co-slept for just under 6 months, but Nate never slept through the night when he was with us. Now that he's in his crib, he sleeps about 6-8 hours at a stretch at night.

deborah_r
08-04-2003, 11:40 AM
Thanks for all of the suggestions! I haven't tried any of the sleep books yet, but I do have 4 of them in my shopping bag on Amazon - can't figure out which ones to get?

Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child
No-Cy Sleep Solution
Happiest Baby on the Block
Baby Whisperer

Thanks again!

daisymommy
08-04-2003, 12:17 PM
If you are po-cosleeping and attachment parenting, then you will NOT like:
Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child
Baby Whisperer

You will however like (and I believe benefit the most from) "No-Cy Sleep Solution". "Happiest Baby on the Block" was a God-send when my DS was colicy, but it's only for babies up to 3-4 months--so it's past it's usefullness for your DS.

One thing that helped me was this site:
http://pages.ivillage.com/sorensmom/sleeproblems.html
It contains information on nap, sleep, and wake-up patterns for babies, and how much sleep they should be getting from Weisbluth, author of "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child". I hated the book, but the information on when most babies are tired and should nap and go to sleep, was very helpful. Rather than spend so much time reading the book, I would advise just reading this website--a very condensed version, and not so Cry-It-Out oriented like the book.

As a side note:
Some babies don't sleep through the night when they cosleep. They smell mommy and therefor want to wake up to eat, snuggle, and play more often. But that's not always the case. Joshua coslept with us until he was 9 months old, and he slept through the night months before we moved him into his crib. I waited until he was sleeping through the night before we moved him into his crib, so that I didn't have to get out of bed and walk down the hall to feed to comfort him everytime! It saved my sanity! Your DS really isn't waking up more than most baies do at this age..I'm not sure if that is reasuring or makes you more frustrated when you're tired! ;)
Good Luck, and remember, one day this will all be a memory. Your baby will be cruising a mile a minute, and you'll wish he would slow down long enough to snuggle up next to you. Enjoy this time, the cosleeping, and the quiet times in the middle of the night, just the two of you. It goes so fast.

zen_bliss
08-04-2003, 01:10 PM
daisymommy, THANK YOU SO MUCH! you just saved me a bunch of $$$, reading (& probably, irritation at books i hate!)

stillplayswithbarbies
08-04-2003, 02:01 PM
yes Thank you daisymommy! I've been confused about which sleep books to get and you have helped me narrow it down. :)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

daisymommy
08-04-2003, 10:33 PM
You are both very welcome! Just ask if there are any other books you are considering. I am a book worm junkie, and read everythin I can get my hands on. Lately, it's only been baby books--whoopie, how exciting! But if you let me know your likes/dislikes in parenting philosophies, I can tell you if you will like a book or not.
Good Luck,