PDA

View Full Version : pg? pms?

emilyf
08-04-2003, 10:20 AM
Ok, here's the story: ds is 8 mos, I am still nursing-very occasional supplementing, and am on the nursing pill. Friday night we went out to dinner and I felt kind of sick afterwards, thought it might be something I ate. Saturday, the same thing-woke me up in the middle of the night. I complained to dh, and he said maybe I was pregnant-hadn't even occurred to me! I then realized that my boobs felt really tender and even more swollen than normal. Also, my face has broken out. I've been feeling kind of listless and bloated, so I'm thinking maybe it is pms except that I still feel kind of nauseuos. I took a pregnancy test and it was negative. I haven't had my period since ds was born, just some very light spotting around 4 mos. Any thoughts?
Emily
mom of Charlie born 11/02

josephsmom
08-04-2003, 12:12 PM
If you don't have a period within a week, I'd suggest you do another pregnancy test and/or call your doctor. I hope this works out whichever way you want it to :D!

Helene
mommy to Joseph 12/29/01

lisams
08-04-2003, 01:36 PM
My DD is 8 1/2 months, and the symptoms you described are what I have a week or two before my period. I'm BFing and had my first period around 6 months. My regular pms symtoms seemed stronger post-partum, I wonder if the hormones are just trying to get back to normal. Since you're on the pill, you may want to call your dr. and see what he/she says just to be safe.

Hope you're feeling better soon and get an answer!
Lisa

ocmama
08-04-2003, 09:04 PM
I was the same way when I got my period again. I got mine 9 months PP and the pms hit me like a bus. On top of being bloated, irritable, and having my face break out, I was sick to my stomach, got the shakes, thought I was going to pass out, if I got up to fast, the room would spin. It was so bad even the 2nd cycle that I really thought I was prego. Hormones are weird and I think that your body is just trying to figure out how to get back on track.

HTH

ocmama

emilyf
08-04-2003, 09:13 PM
That makes me feel much better, I am REALLY not ready to be pregnant again-part of it is I think I forgot what pms felt like it has been so long!
Emily
mom of Charlie born 11/02

Calmegja
08-04-2003, 09:22 PM
I've been a nursing mom 4 times, and I swear, nursing and getting your period can make you feel like a Mack truck hit you. I get sick to my stomach, ache all over, and in general feel awful during my PMS times while nursing.

It happens every single time.

I don't know what happened, but those pregnancy books promised a joyful time of lack of menses while nursing, and I get raging periods and feel sick every month. I guess my body didn't get the memo!

dogmom
08-05-2003, 02:11 PM
I don't know much about the nursing pill, but do not rule out that as a culprit. Well over a decade ago when I was in my mid 20's I got off the BC pill for a year since I had no need. When I got back on it I started experiencing nausea that sounding like morning sickness to me. I was on a lower dose pill than I had been before. I went back to my doctor who said the symptons *should* resolve in three months. After I spent a whole commute home on a crowded subway trying not to throw up on everyone I gave up on the BC pill. Having said that, many friends I know have PMS symptoms like you describe. I tend to have symptoms around the time I ovulate, go figure.