PDA

View Full Version : OT: Raccoons! How do you get rid of them?

jubilee
08-05-2003, 01:02 AM
I opened my drapes tonight because of a weird noise and found two raccoons sitting on my deck! I am in the middle of a large city, so it was a big surprise to me. We think they have been coming around for a few weeks because I've been hearing the noises for that long. Does anyone know how to get rid of them? I imagine they are attracted to the cat food we put out for our furry one. I know raccoons carry bad diseases so I really don't want them around the cat. I'm at a loss as to what to do...help!

bethwl
08-05-2003, 08:59 AM
You could bring the cat food inside. No doubt that is what they are coming for. I don't think they'll come around if there is no trash/food to rummage for. Even if you let your cat(s) outside some of the time, maybe transitioning to mostly indoor cat(s) would be better (for keeping away raccoons and for the health of kitty/kitties). I live in the middle of Chicago in a third floor condo and we just saw a raccoon on our deck a couple nights ago; he ripped apart a trash bag that was waiting to go downstairs and had been out for only a couple hours. He was bold, too-he kept coming back and waiting on the stairs with his little head poking up over the top step. From what I've heard, raccoons can be very tenacious and pretty much only removing what's attracting them is going to keep them away.

Marisa6826
08-05-2003, 09:02 AM
Julie-

Have you been having a drought where you live? They might be drawn to water since they need it to eat. Raccoons don't have salivary glands and need to dunk their food in order to swallow it. They seek out water if they can't find it in their natural surroundings. Of course it doesn't help if they have some tasty snacks like cat food!

Yes, I am a fount of useless information! :) Seriously though, our neighbourhood was taken over by them several years ago. One even crawled down an open chimney and into a lady's livingroom. It had her toddler cornered in a playpen. We had our catfood in the kitchen just inside a breezeway. I was in the kitchen one night without my glasses on, thought it was the cat, pushed it with my foot a little and was REALLY surprized it was a raccoon! Didn't know I could scream that loud! :)

I would call animal control. They can set out some no-harm traps and safely move them to another, less populated location. Oh - one more thing to consider. If you see on during the DAY, it is likely sick. Stay away from it (not that you'll be petting them anyway).

Good luck and move that cat food! :)

-m

jubilee
08-06-2003, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! We did move the cat food inside tonight and will put it back in the morning. And it was right next to the cat's water, which has been oddly dirty every morning... so now I know they've been dipping the catfood inthe water. That explains that mystery! It had been hot here for weeks, in live in Oregon so hot is in the high 80-90's, so we may need to move the water inside too. As for the cat moving inside...actually we just moved him outside! He's been aggressive toward the baby, and starting urinating on the carpet near the baby's room. So I can't trust him anymore. Anyway, I really appreciate the help!!

heytootsy
08-06-2003, 01:32 AM
OK, this is gross but it really works. Coyote urine (they sell it places, I do not know where). Raccoons will not go near it.

Marisa6826
08-06-2003, 08:50 AM
It must be really expensive. Do you have any idea how HARD it is to get a coyote to pee in a cup?! :)

-m

heytootsy
08-06-2003, 09:17 AM
LOL!!! Must be pretty expensive.