PDA

View Full Version : Closed Tear Duct

umma2002
08-05-2003, 05:16 PM
Hi everyone! My one year old has had a closed tear duct problem since birth and they were hoping it would just clear up by now but it hasn't. so we have to go to a pediatric opthalmologist and get it opened! eek! Has anyone experienced this with their children? Is it as terrible as it sounds? how did your children handle it?
Thanks for your help!

Marisa6826
08-05-2003, 10:40 PM
I don't have experience with this one, but thought I would bump it up.

-m

Rachels
08-06-2003, 08:09 AM
I had this myself as a baby. I don't think it's too terrible, and it's VERY quick!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

kransden
08-06-2003, 08:33 AM
I had this as a baby. My dd had it too, so did a friend's baby.
I obviously don't remember mine, but the Dr. did it. Dd's opened on her own at about 6 mos. The friend's dd didn't. They gave her general anesthesia, and were in and out of the office quickly. Her baby looks so much better and seems happier too. They were always having to put drops in her eye and she looked like one of those dogs that have weepy eyes all the time. I know it sounds scary, but they are so happy they did it, and wished it could have been done sooner.

Karin
Katie 10/24/02

kaitlinsmommy
08-06-2003, 12:31 PM
My 8 month old has a blocked tear duct and we just met with a pediatric opthamologist. They are going to probe it next week. While it is frightening to have your baby go under anesthesia, our dr. said it was unlikely it would open on its own if it didn't by 6 mos. He said it was a simple procedure that takes about 10 min. They stick a small needle into the duct to open it & then insert a solution in. I think the worst part is that we can't give her food or fluids for 6 hours beforehand. I'm nervous but will be thankful that her eye won't always be stuck shut with goop. (We affectionately call her "the pirate" now.) I will let you know how the procedure goes on the 15th. It is very common.

umma2002
08-06-2003, 09:09 PM
Thank you all for your input!
Kaitlin's mommy - please let me know how it goes on the 15th! good luck! I'm nervous too but it sounds like it's not that big of a deal - I'm sure everything will be great and your little pirate will glad to see mommy and daddy without goop interference!

kaitlinsmommy
08-15-2003, 01:00 PM
Well, Kaitlin had her tear duct surgery today and it went fine. The worst part was not being able to nurse her after 2 am. She woke up at 3 am and stayed up until her surgery at 9 am. She couldn't understand why I wasn't feeding her. She's very tired and is sleeping now. They said it went well and she should be fully recovered soon. Good luck to umma2002. I tried to e-mail you but could not send you a private message.

umma2002
08-15-2003, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the message! I'm glad everything went well with Kaitlin - I feel much better now. I made an appointment for the end of sept so we'll see how Gwen handles it. I'm sure she'll be fine too. Thanks again!