PDA

View Full Version : Is $15 too much for a baby lovey?

candybomiller
08-06-2003, 04:05 PM
Ok, kind of a weird question, but I've started my own baby lovey business (kind of) and I'm wondering if $15 is too much. The loveys are small fleece blankies with tied off ends. My son absolutely adores his, so I was thinking that they would be good to sell.

We're in a huge financial difficulty so I wanted to charge enough to make it worth my while, but not soo much that I put myself out of business. HELP!

Candy
Stressed Mommy to Matt
5/22/02

Rhonda36
08-06-2003, 04:13 PM
I honestly don't think so, Candy... I would certainly pay that, especially if they are super cute and good for gifts. You might consider how you will package it -- I think great packaging can sway people to spend a little more if it's a gift.

I just paid $15 for one of those "Tag It" blankets. I could have easily made it myself, but I'm too lazy these days. It was simply rolled up and tied with a ribbon, so not a real creative packaging solution, but I didn't care since it was for my own peanut.

HTH,

Rhonda
mom to Spencer, 5/17/03

candybomiller
08-06-2003, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the feedback Rhonda. I appreciate it.

Candy

kaitlinsmommy
08-06-2003, 04:40 PM
No way is $15 too much. I was in Target last week and saw a satiny blanket I thought might make a good lovey. It was on sale for $15 and I didn't blink once before plopping down the money. Good for you for considering taking the time to make some money. I wish you the best of luck!

mama2be
08-06-2003, 04:57 PM
Candy post pics...we'd all love to see your product. I also don't think $15 too much for a handmade lovey...hand made items are great shower gifts too!!!!

I for one would like to give business to members among us...

pritchettzoo
08-06-2003, 05:01 PM
I agree that $15 is not too much. Also, with fleece, shipping wouldn't be very expensive. You could also offer "two-fer" deals (like maybe 2 for $25?) depending on your costs...

Good luck. I've been looking at something like the "taggie" blankets for baby-to-be, so please post pics! I'd much rather buy from a real person than Target, etc.!

Anna
#1(DD) EDD 9/10/03

Edited: there's a similar one right now on ebay starting at $20 with BIN at $30!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2338773248&category=3081

MommytoDylan
08-06-2003, 05:23 PM
I paid almost $30 for Dylan's after shipping. It was a silky by Little Giraffe and had blue velvet on one side and blue satin on the other. I ended up buying it online from 2littlemonkeys.com because the baby store in my area couldn't keep them on the shelves. There was a long waiting list and they were $26.00. If I was crafty I would make them and sell them too! I was willing to pay more money than I would usually because I knew Dylan would use it daily and I'd have to see it for a long time.

Good luck!

candybomiller
08-06-2003, 05:58 PM
Anna,

PM me your address and I'll send one to you. If you like it, you can buy it, if not you can just send it back. Does that sound like a deal?

Candy
Mommy to Matt
5/22/02

candybomiller
08-06-2003, 05:59 PM
Neve,

Since I've gotten back from my trip, I can't find my digital camera!! It's so frustrating because I know it's in the house somewhere, but I can't find it!

Kate888
08-06-2003, 07:36 PM
$15 is a great price! Silly me paid more than $30 for a Taggie...
I like Anna's idea of having a little discount if you buy two or more, since most babies need more than one lovey :) Good luck with your new business, Candy. I've tried to visit your site, but couldn't see it. Hope everything goes well! Please post a pic if you find the camera.

Kate
Mama to Maya 2-17-02

kathsmom
08-06-2003, 07:48 PM
Candy,

I agree with the others - $15 is not too much. I like the idea of a "two-fer" as well. I saw a very small blankie at Nordstrom for 20.00 the other day and almost bought it for Andrew. I would love to see it! Let us know how things are going with it!

Take care!

candybomiller
08-06-2003, 09:24 PM
Ok, the colors available right this minute are pistachio, lavender, mint, hot pink and baby blue. :)

peanut4us
08-06-2003, 09:29 PM
Candy, why didn't you tell me you had other things on your mind???

I think it's a great idea. And no, it's not too much. Have you thought about where you are going to sell them? You might want to try ebay or any of your local 2nd hand shops. I know ours sells stuff that is made by locals.

In addition to the 2-fer deal thing others suggested, you might want to consider advertising a percentage off your next one if you refer someone who buys one. Just an idea.

Good luck.

luvbeinmama
08-07-2003, 02:26 AM
This is a great idea! I think the formula I usually see for craft items is to charge 3X the materials cost, or something like that. I could look that up again. $15 is probably a fair price.

MartiesMom2B
08-07-2003, 06:01 AM
Candy:

I second the E-Bay idea. My grandmother is making baby quilts and we've suggested to her to put them on e-bay too.

Good luck with the baby blanket business! I'll support you.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

AngelaS
08-07-2003, 06:24 AM
I think $15 is a very reasonable price. As WAHMs we forget that we must be paid a fair price for labor. I make carseat covers and started out selling them WAAAY too cheap. Now I charge $20 and I've had people tell me that's too cheap. LOL

candybomiller
08-07-2003, 08:41 AM
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm hoping to have my website finished this weekend, and I've started my own yahoo group to keep interested parties informed of when new items are available.

I'll try the ebay idea, and I'm going to see if some brick & mortar stores around here will consider selling them as well.

Wish me lots of luck!

Candy
WAHMommy to Matt
5/22/02

candybomiller
08-25-2003, 11:20 PM
I'm trying to post a picture....