PDA

View Full Version : What's up with the drool?

jd11365
08-06-2003, 07:55 PM
All of a sudden, DD is a like a leaky faucet...dripping with drool all the time. Is this a stage? She's 14 weeks old...read Flagger's post about Cocoa drooling, and then the following reply said the same, so is it a new 3 month thing?

justlearning
08-06-2003, 08:04 PM
DS is around the same age and also is always drooling now. I thought it meant that he's in the very early stages of teething, especially because it seems that he's been extra fussy during the times that he's extra leaky. I have no idea if the teething theory is right, so I'm curious to hear what others say...

barbarhow
08-06-2003, 08:10 PM
DS has been doing this for about 4 weeks. From what everyone says it is the beginning of teething. He had one really miserable week nothing seemed to soothe him except the Hylands teething tabs. It seems to have let up this week. Only occasional fussies. No teeth yet but lots of drool. HTH.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

egoldber
08-06-2003, 08:15 PM
Actually, my ped told me that this is when their salivary glands kick in and start working. Sine they have no teeth and haven't learned the "swallow your drool" habit that we all have, the saliva runs out of their mouths. This is usually NOT the beginning stages of teething. It is very unusual, although not unheard of, for babies that young to be teething.

HTH,

jd11365
08-06-2003, 08:18 PM
Makes sense to me...seems a bit early for teething...I never even thought that was it...but the salivary thing sounds sensible. So is this now the time we start wearing bibs? I have all these cute little outfits...hate the bibs...

egoldber
08-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Yes, this is why all the little outfits for that age have matching bibs!! :)

justlearning
08-06-2003, 08:30 PM
Beth,

Very interesting! Your theory makes perfect sense. (I always seem to learn something when reading your posts!) I hadn't asked my doctor about his drooling, so I was going with the teething theory because according to my mom's diary, my first tooth came in when I was 3 1/2 months old. Out of curiousity, when do babies normally start teething?

egoldber
08-06-2003, 08:35 PM
Again, according to my ped, the average baby gets their first tooth by their 7th month.

But my DD didn't get her first tooth until 14 months, so you never know!!! LOL!! And if you got a tooth at 3 1/2 months, then your babe may very well be teething!

peanut4us
08-06-2003, 09:19 PM
My ped said the same thing. no worries.

mharling
08-06-2003, 10:25 PM
Ds has been drooling for a little while now. He has also been coughing a fair amount. I asked the ped about it today at his 4-month visit and she said coughing is common when they're drooling more and could even sound like a fake cough (yep!). Who knew all these things could be related?

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3237413c427 - New 6/18

parkersmama
08-06-2003, 10:42 PM
Wow, I'd always assumed it was teething! I guess that's because Parker got his first tooth right before 4 months and Wesley got his between 4 & 5months. So for us, it really was teething! But, I'd assumed that's why all babies drool. Glad to know there's another reason. BTW, Amy Grace has started up...drooling and chewing...I wonder if she'll be another early teether?

KMommie
08-06-2003, 11:09 PM
DD has been a drooler since week 5 and well, DD got her first 2 bottom teeth at 11 weeks, so she's an early teether. She's been fussy ever since they came in, so for 4 weeks I've been waiting for more to come in, but no luck. Then this morning she started with the cough... Sigh... if it's just her salivary glands kicking in, I better get used to it.

I read that early teeth are hereditary, so it's possible Ethan might be teething early too. My mom can't remember when I got my first teeth (I was third-born) but she remembers my oldest brother, and he teethed at 12 weeks and MIL couldn't remember DH's teething schedule but remembered his older brother was born with a tooth, so I was looking for teeth early with DD.

ITA about the bibs. I have all these cute outfits, and matching bibs, but I just don't feel like having DD wear the bibs! I prefer her bib-less. :)

daisymommy
08-07-2003, 11:05 AM
Some babies do begin teething this early. Josh started teh drool-bucket thing at 3 months, started knawing on everything, and got his first 2 teeth when he was 4 months old ! They sprouted one day apart from each other!