PDA

View Full Version : how to private mail someone

deborah_r
08-07-2003, 05:58 PM
I've never really been faithful to a message board like this before (but you people are all just so nice and fun and knowledgable, etc that I just can't stay away :) ) so I don't know much about how they operate.

I guessed that I would go to profiles and click on the person to send them a private message, but whenever I have tried it I cannot find the person in the list. Does it mean that these individuals have their profiles blocked?

MartiesMom2B
08-07-2003, 06:11 PM
Try to find a post that the person made and you can see if there is an icon on the top right hand corner for PM-ing. I believe you can make the option on whether or not you want your profile on the list. So I would go to a post that someone specifically wrote and see if they allow PMs.

HTH!

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

mama2be
08-07-2003, 06:14 PM
If you go to the icons on the right of a message there is one that represents "email"...I always accidently click on one that adds folks to a "buddy list"...what that is I will never know...but one is for emails. I do think some folks block their "profiles" I don't think it blocks their email but it might...

I always suggest not to have your last name and your city on your profile...recently I had added Tristan's picture to my avatar which adds it to my profile and then you have a lot of info in one place...
I am not overly paranoid by any stretch of the imagination BUT my last name and city with the picture of my baby I jsut didn't feel comfortable with...just my 2 cents :)...

One or the other should be fine though...

deborah_r
08-07-2003, 06:16 PM
OMG! Do you know I have never even noticed those icons before? I think I still have a case of new-mommy-brain...I just this afternoon figured out how to attach the hood onto my Pliko (in just a shade under 3 months)

Thanks for the help!

mama2be
08-07-2003, 06:19 PM
Write who you are in the subject line...becaseu sometimes it does not say....I can't tell you how many emails I have gotten and have no idea who they are from if they don't specify...Or your email address...

For some reason I am notified by some that I have an email...for others I have to notice on the top where it says you have a message...I don't think it is consistant...

luvbeinmama
08-07-2003, 06:23 PM
You can email a person from one of their posts by clicking on the icon of an envelope, paper & pencil. To send a private message to their board inbox, click on the icon of wavy lines and a piece of notebook paper. Everyone has the private message icon regardless of whether they let you see their profile or allow you to email them directly. When you sign in, if you received a private message there is a notice at the very top of the page at the conference level. The head icon just goes to the profile, I don't know that you can email them or private message them from there.

HTH!

parkersmama
08-07-2003, 10:22 PM
I *think* that the difference is this: an email from the board comes straight to whichever email account you've got as your address and it is from "webmaster"; a message blinking at the top of the BB when you sign on is a private message (PM). If you reply to an email, your personal email address is revealed to the person. If you reply to a PM, it shows up to them the same way yours showed up, upon entry to the board. HTH!

KMommie
08-07-2003, 10:32 PM
Hmmm, whenever I've gotten a Personal Message, I've received an email notifying me about it. There must be perference that you can click on, maybe in your user profile? I don't know how it happened, it just does. :)

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

peanut4us
08-07-2003, 11:09 PM
There is a preference setting for email notifcation. Click User menu-->Edit Preferences. It's in there ;-)