PDA

View Full Version : 1st Birthday Blues

blnony
08-11-2003, 08:12 PM
Well, next Saturday is Audrey's 1st Birthday party and then days later she really turns 1. I've just been in such a funk about it this past week or so. Granted, we've both been sick and that hasn't helped, but I just feel so down about it, then I feel bad that I'm not more excited. It just seems like its gone by so fast; and she's changing so much, in a weird way, I miss my baby. She doesn't want to be rocked anymore, or cuddled. I can barely get a hold of her long enough to feed her. She's walking a little (3 steps or so) and she's just becoming so independent. I know thats a good thing, but its hard to transition into the toddlerhood thing. Is this normal? Or am I thinking about all this too much?

mamahill
08-11-2003, 08:25 PM
Oh Brianna! Of course this is completely normal. It does seem like such a loss, on one hand. On the other, I am absolutely LOVING this stage. I've told almost everyone I know that since turning 1, I have felt like Ainsleigh and I are having so much more fun together. When Ainsleigh weaned suddenly, I received the advice (which I will FOREVER treasure): Don't think of it as losing your baby, but getting to know your little girl.

This applies to so MANY things, and I am constantly thrilled at getting to know each new part of her. For example, this last weekend I put Ainsleigh's hair in pigtails for the first time. Small pigtails, but pigtails nevertheless. It was so fun!

I guess I'm just trying to say that it's ok to be sad - I sometimes look at Ainsleigh and think, "What happened to my sweet sleeping infant?" But for the most part, I just look at her and think, "What are you going to do next?!"

Best wishes to you AND Audrey on her big day. Congratulations to you for making it through the first year with a smile - it just gets better and better!

redhookmom
08-11-2003, 08:29 PM
My DD was born on the same day as yours. And, I have been feeling the same way... This year has gone so fast, I miss my baby! I have been trying to tell myself to simply enjoy each day for what it is. With my first I was always looking forward and with my second I seem to be always looking back. I guess it is because I now know how fast it all goes...

One of the best parts of spending time with Grace right now is watching her personality emerge. There are so many fun things to look forward to. (I'm trying.)

jojo2324
08-11-2003, 09:43 PM
Oh, it IS hard! I cried a little bit on Gannon's first birthday. I just sometimes feel like with each passing day he's mine less and less. (But somehow he still manages to be the biggest mama's boy on the planet.) But Sarah's right...you really start to look forward to the little things they will accomplish. Yesterday I was watching him for 5 minutes just play with the remote control. He was pushing the buttons and furrowing his brow and sticking out his tongue. And I swear my heart almost broke it got so big. Not that his playing with a remote is an accomplishment, but just to see him thinking and turning into his own little self is so wonderful. This week he's started handing everything to anybody. He's very generous. :) And he has this cute way of laying his cheek down against his shoulder when he holds out whatever it is he wants to share.

I think many have said this, but it's so true. The stage you're in RIGHT NOW is going to be your favorite. Each stage definitely has its trials, but each step your baby takes is also so rewarding and heartwarming.

But there's no reason not to be a little sad. You're baby's growing up! Cry a little bit, and know that we're here for you. :)

Marisa6826
08-11-2003, 09:55 PM
Oh Brianna :(

I've never been so struck at just how fast time moves until I had Sophie. It seems just yesterday they laid her on my chest in the operating room and now she has a tooth, can almost sit up and has just upgraded into her "big girl" Roundabout.

I'm so sad that she's rapidly progressing to her first birthday as well.

Jonathan's always making fun of me saying it's a little too early to be so reminiscent - what am I going to be like on her wedding day, or the day SHE gives birth (God willing!)?

We're all in the same boat, I guess. So hug and kiss that little beautiful girl, go shopping and get her a fancy party dress and just thank God that you don't have to beat the boys off with a stick yet! :)

Chin up and BIG hugs!

-m

Annette_C
08-11-2003, 10:40 PM
Brianna,
It's perfectly normal to feel the way you do. Our babies grow up so fast!! I should know, right?;)
I confess that I've never really liked the baby stage. I've always preferred the little girl stage! I guess because there's more interaction so making it easier for us to play together and communicate. She might seem more independent now (she's discovering things on her own) but, soon, she'll be your little girl again! In fact, she'll want you to play with her, read her books, sing her songs, etc.
Don't look back, hon...look forward at the beautiful memories you and Audrey are going to be creating every day!
Enjoy every moment and rejoyce in the fact that you and your little girl have almost completed a full year together!
Many hugs and Happy 1st Birthday Audrey!
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

cinrein
08-12-2003, 07:04 AM
Just wanted to say that all these posts bring tears to my eyes. :)

Cindy
Mama to Anna 2/11/03

Andrea S
08-12-2003, 07:34 AM
Brianna,

I am going through the same things as you. Andrew's b-day is fast approaching and I am not ready. I love watching him grow and learn new things, but I do not want every year to fly by like the first one has.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

nigele
08-12-2003, 09:14 AM
Oh, it is sooooo normal! I felt the exact same way. After Tom turned one, though, the feeling went away (well, almost all the way!) Tom is doing so many fun new things now and I keep thinking that he wouldn't be doing all of this if he was still a tiny baby. Hang in there!

cara1
08-12-2003, 12:39 PM
I was the same way last Feb. It lasted a couple of weeks. Then he started walking, and running, and being so much more fun. Sure, when I see other people with tiny babies, I do get a little pang of, "Oh, remember when", but well, I guess that's why many of us get pregnant again...