PDA

View Full Version : Can your older baby tell you when he/she is ready to sleep?

Karenn
08-12-2003, 11:10 AM
Colin learned the sign for sleep a couple of weeks ago. He makes the sign when we get him ready for a nap or bed, or when he hears the words, "sleep" or "nigh' night." Lately, he's been randomly signing it at times that that have nothing to do with sleep, but when it's possible that he could be tired. I'm starting to wonder if maybe I should be listening to him and putting him to bed!

I've heard those stories of babies pointing to their cribs when they are tired and never, ever believed that would happen in this house! But now, I'm starting to wonder. I suppose I could just try putting him down, but his sleep is so fragile anyway that I'm a real chicken about trying anything new. Has anyone actually been able to follow their baby's lead on this? (other than with the usual "sleepy cues" like eye rubbing, yawning, etc.)

Thanks,

houseof3boys
08-12-2003, 11:21 AM
Don't have an answer for you but I am excited to see if that actually works! We are looking forward when Ryan is old enough to learn to sign. I think it is a great thing despite my SIL (speech pathologist) thinking it interferes with normal speech.

christic
08-12-2003, 12:12 PM
I think it's very possible that Colin is just enjoying being able to communicate with you rather than saying he's tired. I've never taught my daughter any official signs, but she did start rubbing her eyes when I would ask if she was tired...started with me asking if she was tired AFTER rubbing her eyes, then I would ask first and she would rub. I was curious if she was really answering my question or just responding with what means tired to her, so I started asking at random diaper changes and she will nearly always rub her eyes no matter what time of day.

So at least for us, when I say tired and she rubs her eyes it's sort of the equivalent of "where's your bellybutton?" and her mad dash to pull up her shirt. Your son might be signing sleep to get you to say sleep or night night because it's so cool to be talking with you!

shall85296
08-12-2003, 01:21 PM
DS just started doing the sign for sleep as well. I about fell over because I had only shown it to him a few times! I've noticed that when he learns a new sign he does it inappropriately for a little while. I think he just likes to show me that he knows how to do it now.
Good luck.. we are having so much fun signing, and it has been surprisingly simple!

cmyk
08-12-2003, 10:38 PM
Just wondering what everyone is using to teach signs. Are you using the Baby Signs books? Or do you make up your own?

-Shelley

Karenn
08-13-2003, 10:43 AM
I am using Joseph Garcia's Sign with Your Baby and the videos from signingtime.com. Both use American Sign Language. In my opinion, the book is responsible for about 10% of our success and the videos 90%.

Well, I still can't decide if he's ready to sleep when he signs "sleep". I agree, there are definitely times when Colin makes signs randomly just to "hear" himself talk and show me his new words. :) He "babbles" on at lunch about dogs, kitties and airplanes when there are none in sight. But at the same time, I have noticed that he only signs "food" when he's hungry, and "potty" when he's going poopie. So I'm still wondering if there's a correlation when he signs sleep. I guess I'll never know unless I get brave enough to try putting him down! Thanks all, for your replies.

egoldber
08-14-2003, 10:15 AM
Sarah defintiely signs when she is ready to go to bed! She makes the "sleep" sign and heads for the stairs! It's pretty cute. :)