PDA

View Full Version : prenatal vitamin post-birth???

hellokitty1
08-12-2003, 11:07 PM
What is the consensus on continuing to take the prenatal vitamin after Baby is born? A friend of mine told me her doctor said to keep taking it and I thought so too because I was once told that as long as I am in my pregnant-bearing years, I should take it for the folic acid;not to mention it was prescribed before i was even pregnant. But at my 6wk checkup, the doc told me i did not need to take it as it may cause constipation (which it does not). Should I go back to the old Centrum I was taking before the prenatal vitamin or should i take the prenatal vitamin? on a side note, i don't plan on another baby for a couple years and am currently breastfeeding.

Thx Ladies!

pritchettzoo
08-12-2003, 11:29 PM
The nurse who taught our birthing class suggested we keep taking prenatal vitamins if we were going to be breastfeeding. I have found an OTC (StuartNatal) that my doctor says is great (and doesn't make me throw-up!), and it's a bunch cheaper than the prescription kind. I found them on sale at Kroger and then saw a generic at Sam's with the same ingredients. In case cost is a consideration...

Anna
#1(DD) EDD 9/10/03

August Mom
08-13-2003, 12:03 AM
My doctor recommended that I keep taking the prenatal vitamin, especially while BFing. I use Discount Drug Mart's brand that is comparable to StuartNatal. I have never had any problems or side effects with it. And, it is basically the same price as Centrum (maybe even a bit cheaper).

hellokitty1
08-13-2003, 01:01 AM
Thanks. I'll keep taking my prenatal vitamin. With my insurance, a 90 day supply is only like $4 so I'll likely stick with my prescription.

josephsmom
08-13-2003, 07:37 AM
My doc had me continue taking prenatal vitamins for as long as I breastfed.

Helene
mommy to Joseph 12/29/01

lukkykatt
08-13-2003, 09:18 AM
Mine too.