PDA

View Full Version : Sad news for my sister

ddmarsh
08-13-2003, 01:46 PM
My dear sister has no children, she woke up at age 35 and suddenly decided they wanted to have children whereas previously they had chosen not to. About 6 months ago she had a miscarriage and she is now 7 weeks pregnant. Today she was told she has a molar pregnancy which I have discovered upon reading is a rather unusual and serious problem. She will be having a D&C tomorrow and then will have to have weekly blood checks for about 6 months due to the risk of cancer spreading as a result (although the risk is relatively low, it is a risk nonetheless).

Just wondered if anyone who is interested might say a prayer for her. I would also be interested in hearing from anyone who may have experienced this and/or knows of someone who has and may be able to offer some positive outcomes after having gone through this.

Thanks so much -

Marisa6826
08-13-2003, 01:58 PM
Deb-

I'm very sorry to hear such sad news. I have not had a molar pregnancy, but went through fertility treatments. It's all just very difficult when all you want is a baby.

Please give her a big hug and tell her we're thinking about her.

-m

jojo2324
08-13-2003, 02:01 PM
Debbie, I am so sorry for your sister. I will be thinking of you both.

heytootsy
08-13-2003, 02:05 PM
Oh my, I am so sorry to hear that. Similar thing happened to my aunt, it was crushing. I will be thinking of you and your sister.

mama2be
08-13-2003, 02:17 PM
She of course will be in my thoughts and prayers!!!!

momathome
08-13-2003, 02:37 PM
Debbie-
I am very sorry to hear what your sister is going through. Of course, I will pray that things go smoothly for her and that someday soon, she will have the little baby she is dreaming of. Hugs to you both.
-Lauren

trumansmom
08-13-2003, 02:42 PM
I'll keep her in my prayers. She's luckiy to have a sister looking out for her.

And if I may give a little advice, the pain from a pregnancy loss never really goes away. Please continue to be available for her to talk about this. She may not want to, or she may need to talk about it lots for months and months. Just letting her know that you are there for her no matter how she chooses to deal with it will truly mean a lot to her.

I'm so sorry.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01

dogmom
08-13-2003, 03:00 PM
I am so sorry to hear about this. It is such a cruel joke. Oh, you don't really have a baby growing inside you like you thought you did, and, by the way, it might be malignant. I remember when I first heard about them in my Maternal/Newborn class I was just dumb founded. I had a patient, a little 19 year old, that had a molar pregnancy. It was obviously a very different set of circumstances, but she eventually did fine. I do not know if it has any implications for future fertility. I do know that the HCG levels stay high for a while after the D&C.

Maybe she should talk to the social worker at the hospital she is going to and try to link up with a support group. People have very funny attitudes about miscarriage, and even less sympathetic ones after two of them.

Here is a link to a Yale site that mentions future fertility.
http://www.hygeia.org/poems11.htm

chrissyhowie
08-13-2003, 03:51 PM
Molar pregnancy is thought to happen in about 1 in 1000 pregnancies or so. While 90% of cases are definitively treated by the D&C, there is a risk of persistent tissue. This is why she will be having the blood checks for about 6 months and will likely be put on contraception during that time so that the levels of pregnancy hormone can accurately be followed.

I'm so sorry that she has to go through this. Difficulty in conceiving is such an emotional issue. I'm so glad that she has a thoughtful and caring sister to give her support. I will definitely keep her in my thoughts.

kransden
08-13-2003, 04:31 PM
I am so sorry, Katie and I will put it in our bedtime prayers tonight that your sister gets better fast and has a child to love soon.

Karin
Katie 10/24/02

Andrea S
08-13-2003, 04:39 PM
So sorry for your sister. I will keep her in my thoughts.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

mommyj
08-13-2003, 05:24 PM
Your sister is lucky to have a sister like you. I'll be keeping both of you in my thoughts.

ddmarsh
08-14-2003, 08:29 AM
Thanks so much for the thoughts and information, I really appreciate it. My sister is having a D&C tomorrow a.m. and will then start weekly monitoring to watch for the cancer issue.

Thanks again -

Rhonda36
08-14-2003, 09:09 AM
So sorry your sister has to go through this. I know how it feels to be 35 and aching for a baby.

I know of one other person who had a molar pregnancy. That was 20 years ago, and she went on to have a successful pregnancy after that.

Our thoughts are with you,

Rhonda
mom to Spencer, 5/17/03

cinrein
08-14-2003, 09:21 AM
Debbie,
I'm so sorry your sister is going through this and will keep her in my prayers. Though I never had a molar pregnancy, I did have a 2nd trimester loss and then infertility. I became Anna's Mama shortly after my 37th birthday.

Cindy
Mama to Anna 2/11/03

egoldber
08-14-2003, 09:57 AM
Debbie, I am so sorry to hear about your sister's loss. She is definitely in my thoughts.

If she is interested, I found this loss board to be very helpful and informative. It was recommended to me by another mom here. http://www.pregnancyloss.info/

I also found the book "Silent Sorrow" to be extremely helpful to me in working through my grief. It was also a gift from a very generous mom on this board who had experienced a loss.

mary b
08-14-2003, 11:38 AM
Debbie, I am so sorry about your sister.. It seems like with all the joy on these boards recently, there is also much sorrow!

I will keep her and her DH in my thoughts and prayers!

Mary

Annette_C
08-14-2003, 11:46 AM
Ohh Deb...how sad! I'm so sorry!
Your sister (and you) will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Thinking of you,
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

kathsmom
08-14-2003, 12:57 PM
Debbie,

I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am about your sister's loss. I hope that everything goes well for her in the next few months. My thoughts and prayers go out to her and her DH.