PDA

View Full Version : weissbluth followers need help please!!!!!

cchavez
08-14-2003, 11:34 AM
DS is 15 wks and currently takes 4 naps a day...they are usually 40 minutes each...anyway the last 2 days his last nap starting b/w 4:15/4:30 has been lasting about 1.5 hrs. I always freak out thinking this is going to mess up his bed time. But he wakes up right at 6:00 and we start his nite time routine at 7:30 and then he is asleep by 8:00. And I actually think i could put him down earlier but dh wants to see him when he gets home from work....i know i shouldn't be doing that but it is so hard when ds hardly sees him

Well, this morning he slept until 7:00 so his naps are running later today....my question is should I not let him sleep past 6;00 tonite???Just so i can ensure that he will go to bed b/w 7-8????

Also, I have been wanting to ask....we hardly ever go out except for quick trips now that we are following the 2 hour rule but what do you do if you ever need to get out??? Try to take the stroller and let them sleep there???

Also, what do you do when you miss naps??? DS has a ped appt in a few weeks and i think we might miss his early am nap.

TIA

flagger
08-14-2003, 12:08 PM
You miss naps and just go on about your day.

I think the key is establishing a routine so that on those days when you get off the routine, it is easy to bounce back whereas if you had no routine you could never get anything done because he or she would be so fussy.

I have started to watch and read Cocoa's cues more than the clock. Sometimes it is 1..5 hours before she goes down again, other times it is 3 hours. We seem to get our best go out, errand time in the afternoon between the second and last nap.

I would get him a little earlier, but you can always get him up if he is not crying but has his eyes open. Ms. Flagger will do that sometimes.

C99
08-14-2003, 01:55 PM
Christine,

I know that you, like everyone else, is just trying to figure out what is best for your baby and your family. But I mean this in the nicest possible way: I think you should relax a bit about his sleep and napping patterns. He'll get there. It may not be the second he turns 4 months, but he will get there.

As Flagger said, some days they nap and some days, they don't. Some nights they sleep straight through and other nights, they wake up several times. It's not a strict schedule, it's a routine. And although some babies get themselves on more or less of routine at 12 weeks, some (like my Nate!) don't get themselves into a routine until much later.

Sarah1
08-14-2003, 02:50 PM
Hi Christine,

You are doing a great job. Definitely, don't stress about it too much. If you miss a nap, just go on with the day. Some days, you have appts, want to see friends, etc, and the nap gets lost. It happens even to us control freaks. Try to go with the flow and remind yourself that a break in the routine will not mess things up...in fact, I think it's good to occasionally break the routine, because you want your baby to be adaptable.

As for your question about the late nap, I probably would wake him up by 6 if you want him to sleep by 8.

cchavez
08-14-2003, 05:13 PM
I guess I am taking Weissbluth too literally when he says you wouldn't miss your child's feeding for your convenience so why would you make him/her miss their nap......but even he says there will be non routine days. I also feel that I have the luxury of being at home so it is possible for my child to get the naps he needs.....

although getting him down for this last nap was a pain...he was obviously tired but wanted to sleep in my arms....oh, now he let me rock him....anyway he is asleep in his bouncy.

thanks!