PDA

View Full Version : baby miserable in car seat Help

memedee
08-19-2003, 10:50 AM
Did anybody out there have a baby that screamed while riding in the car. He just hates being in the car and it is impossible to drive with him screaming.
Any suggestions.Do you think switching to the Britax bigger seat will make a difference?

daisymommy
08-19-2003, 11:01 AM
Been there, experienced that ;). Here are some possible reasons for the screaming that we came up with. Some have solutions, unfortunatley, some don't.
-Carseat straps are too tight. Get larger carseat. We went from the Snugride to a convertible carseat (like Britax), and it made a big difference.
-Sun in eyes: get cling window shields and rear window screen (First Years).
-Play music, give him a toy to hold.
-Doesn't want to be where he can't see you and get be moving around. No answers here other than talk to him while you're driving.
-If he has reflux at all, the incline of infant carseats scrunches their belly in just the right way to cause them pain. We had to put a little recieving blanket in the small of his back, or get a Snuzzler insert that lift stheir torso to provide lumbar support. That helped some.

Good Luck, and it does get better. Joshu used to scream as soon as he got into his carseat, adn didn't stop until he got out. Now he gurggles and talks to himself, and falls asleep in the car every time!

Rachels
08-19-2003, 11:09 AM
Ohhhhh, I've been there. Abigail screamed herself hoarse for months. Looking back, I think it was probably a reflux issue, like Amy said. At any rate, while she still doesn't love to be in the car, the day we got her Roundabout was the day the screaming stopped. She is much more comfortable, can see out, etc. Also, I got a mirror so that I could see her. We got one of the FP ones that hooks on. I know it's one of those things you're not technically supposed to do, but for us it made a world of difference. I can check on her and not feel so anxious and distracted, and she can watch my face in the rearview mirror. Also, when she was smaller, toys with lights and music seemed to help a good deal. The FP dashboard toy was a lifesaver.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

KMommie
08-19-2003, 11:54 AM
DD used to love riding in the car, she would always fall asleep! Then at about 6 weeks, she started screaming...and hasn't really stopped since. We switched to the Britax, and that helped the screaming, but now she doesn't fall asleep! She will tolerate only short trips in the car, before she starts screaming. We've found that a musical toy helps her, and we're working on getting a mirror put up. It takes a lot longer for her to start complaining if someone is in the back with her, so we think she might just be bored. I think this might be why people can't wait for FF. DH is already talking about it, but he's just going to have to wait---I told him we're keeping her RF until she outgrows her Roundabout!

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

jenmcadams
08-19-2003, 11:59 AM
The Roundabout made a big difference for us...Abbie generally does ok in the car although as she's gotten more mobile, it's gotten a little worse again. We also have a mirror which I love (even though you're technically not supposed to use them) b/c I can see what she's doing. Finally, I actually keep a bag of small toys in the car (e.g. toy phone that rings, teethers, small animals, etc.) and I put this on the passenger front seat and when she's fussy, I'll hand her toys over the top of the car seat. She actually reaches up for them when she hears me rustle in the bag...again this is something I'm sure I'm not technically supposed to do, but I'm careful to not do it in congested traffic situations and it's made a big difference for us.

memedee
08-19-2003, 12:30 PM
Thank you sooo much for your fast response.
I am going to get the mirror and the fp toy.Does it go over the snugride and fasten to both sides with a clip?
How do you know if the straps are too tight?
Thanks

MamaKath
08-19-2003, 12:45 PM
Switching to a RA helped us as well. I think being higher up in a cushy seat made a huge difference for us.

Actually the other thing that helped was getting a van. Our car died and we got a van-baby stopped screaming. I think the view was better. ;-) But I know that wouldn't have even been an option if we hadn't had to buy a different car.

HTH

mamahill
08-19-2003, 12:48 PM
From about month 3-6 if Ainsleigh DIDN'T scream, I was giddy. It was a rotten time. I don't know if it was reflux or just that she didn't like being "alone." I had a sun shade and the seat was definitely big enough still (didn't outgrow the snugride until month 11). And they straps weren't too tight (though that might have been the problem since she had to be swaddled to go to sleep). Anyway, no words of advice, just commiseration. Perhaps the bigger seat will make a difference in his case. Good luck!

Karenn
08-19-2003, 12:54 PM
Colin was a carseat screamer too. Playing lulabies in the car really helped him. We used the same CD over and over and now it still soothes him in the car if he gets a little wound up.

Good luck!

JulieL
08-19-2003, 01:43 PM
My DS cried every time we got into the car and I just know it was his Century Smart Fit infant car seat. At the time I thought it was him, because his head would slump like crazy. No matter how I tried to prop him up it was not use he still slumped. When he was 5 or 6 months old and we got the Evenflo Truimph (I think - it's the high end Evenflo convertable seat) the crying ended immediately. The Evenflo reclined more than the infant car seat did! Why I will never understand. But maybe your baby is just uncomfortable like mine was. I gave away the Century seat and when ever baby #2 comes I will buy something else for sure. I hate that I could have helped my son out earlier and just didn't know it.

Rachels
08-19-2003, 02:28 PM
You should be able to get one finger comfortably under the straps. You don't want them to be loose at all, but your finger should fit under there without a huge fight. Also, check the clip by the tummy. Abigail's was really digging into her belly.

This is the dashboard I had:

http://www.dmartstores.com/fispric71rad.html

It has a remote so you can turn it on from the driver's seat, and has both upbeat and soothing music. It has velcro straps that hook it on the carseat buckle (no loosening of the buckle required). Saved our rears.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

lisams
08-19-2003, 02:36 PM
Weve been there too. Getting the Britax Marathon carseat made a huge difference. It's much more comfortbale for her and she can see out the windows. Also playing her Baby Einstien CDs helped. I also keep a stash of soft toys up front (cloth book, stuffed bear) to hand back to her in case she starts melting down. I know you're technically not supposed to have anything back there that could go flying, but having her screaming was more of a danger than anything (I couldn't concentrate on driving with her screaming).

It will get better - hang in there!

Lisa

Momof3Labs
08-19-2003, 04:53 PM
Switching to the Britax made a big difference for us - and Colin wasn't even near the size limits of his infant seat yet! He just seemed to hate the position!

kransden
08-19-2003, 05:03 PM
My friends have this problem, their child likes gangsta rap (spelling?) They discovered this accidently one day by scanning radio stations. Who would have guessed?? They are the most unlikely couple to be playing that lol. They look like the type of people that would have a cadillac with steer horns on the front. My dd likes Sousa Marches herself.
Hey, it's worth a try!

Karin
Katie 10/24/02

Marisa6826
08-19-2003, 05:13 PM
OK. I know I shouldn't be laughing, but that's just hysterical! :)

-m

Dcclerk
08-19-2003, 06:52 PM
We're right there with you. DS screams when I even look at the carseat. He does just fine when someone sits next to him, though, so I think it is a boredom/fear of being alone thing. I'll be looking into that dashboard myself!

Dcclerk
08-19-2003, 06:53 PM
LOL. You painted a beautiful picture! (My son is partial to Jimmy Buffett!)

StaceyKim
08-20-2003, 08:57 AM
Thanks for this website and product. I just ordered it today and I hope it works. I will keep you posted!

cinrein
08-20-2003, 10:08 AM
LOL!! I wasn't counting on hating my child's taste in music until she was MUCH older.

Cindy
Mama to Anna 2/11/03

nitaghei
08-20-2003, 11:09 AM
Classic rock works as lullabies for DS. Led Zepplin or the Rolling Stones will knock him out in about 2 minutes!! Who would have known?! My musical tastes run to Indian classical and blues, but I'm willing to endure the Stones, if that's what it takes.

Nita

StaceyKim
08-21-2003, 07:33 PM
Did some research and someone recommended I get a car seat gallery that you can put pictures of family members in etc. Here is the link
http://www.geniusbabies.com/cargalawwinb.html
Also just found out my DS is too long (by an inch) for the infant car seat and we need to upgrade immediately! Could be part of the problem with him hating most car rides although I think he gets lonely back there.

Rachels
08-22-2003, 06:58 AM
We had that, and Abigail seemed to really like it. I'd forgotten about that. Did you get the new carseat? I bet you'll find that he's more comfortable.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

etwahl
08-22-2003, 07:24 AM
we moved up to the roundabout and she's just fine when i'm in the back with her, but now that daddy isn't around like he was, i have to drive and she's back there alone. she usually screams the entire time. i'm not sure what to do. would this gallery help at her age you think?

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

Rachels
08-22-2003, 07:52 AM
Maybe. Abigail loves to look at photos of family members. I think even she would like it, although at this stage she'd be frustrated if she couldn't hold it.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

StaceyKim
08-22-2003, 08:18 AM
picking up carseat this weekend and then i need to get it installed. i am having anxiety about not having my kolkraft anymore! i love using that for the car.

StaceyKim
08-22-2003, 08:21 AM
i ordered it yesterday. i will let you know how DS likes it. he is 4 months old.

mcmorfit
08-22-2003, 08:42 AM
Stacey,

I second the mourn of losing the Kolcraft! Last night DH was trying to fit the Marathan in the Kolcraft and mubmling something about bungy cords!