PDA

View Full Version : OT - Looking for QUICK casserole recipes

mharling
08-19-2003, 06:39 PM
My FIL comes over every Wednesday and I've started preparing a meal to send home with him. Cooking has become somewhat of a chore for my MIL. I've done this about 4 weeks and don't want to start duplicating yet. So far I've done sloppy joes, chicken tetrazzini, corn & noodle casserole and tacos.

I'm looking for more quick and easy recipes (preferably with ground beef) that are easily transportable. I scrolled through the previous recipe post and got a couple ideas, but I'm looking for more. Casseroles are ideal!

TIA!!

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3237413c427 - New 6/18

pritchettzoo
08-19-2003, 08:05 PM
What a sweet gesture! Thanks for asking this question...another thing on my to-do list is to get a bunch of quick recipes together for post-baby. This is the first thing that came to mind...I haven't had it in years though, so I don't know why I thought of it.

Bisquick's IMPOSSIBLE CHEESEBURGER PIE

1 lb. ground beef
1 1/2 c. chopped onion
1 1/2 c. milk
3 eggs
3/4 c. Bisquick baking mix
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 tomatoes, sliced
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease pie plate, 10 x 1 1/2 inches. Brown beef and onion; drain. Spread in plate. Beat milk, eggs, baking mix, salt and pepper 15 seconds in blender on high or 1 minute with hand beater. Pour into plate. Bake 25 minutes. Top with tomatoes and cheese. Bake until knife inserted in center comes out clean, 5 to 8 minutes. 6 to 8 servings. High Altitude: Increase first bake time to 30 minutes.

I love www.allrecipes.com for finding recipes, if you've never used it. Here's a link to ground beef casseroles: http://allrecipes.com/directory/2133.asp

Also, the book Desperation Dinners has several ground beef recipes that sound good. I can copy them and mail to you if you'd like. It may be available at the library, or it's a good investment!

Anna
#1(DD) EDD 9/10/03

jd11365
08-19-2003, 08:47 PM
I'm making a quick and easy dish for my mommy group tomorrow...don't laugh...I don't cook.

1 box Zataran's Jambalaya Rice Mix
1 large sausage chopped into chunks (can use chicken or pork too) Done! Delicious! Fast! Easy! Cheap!

I said don't laugh!

Edited to say, I just threw in a small onion chopped and a small bell pepper...even better...yum! Besides I felt guilty that I wasn't "cooking" and the thought of chopping an onion and pepper made me feel better. ;-)

juliasdad
08-19-2003, 08:55 PM
Hey, nice idea! You could use whatever's on hand in terms of meats; or try andouille sausage, ham, and chicken.

Shortcut or no, jambalaya sounds like a good dish to fit the bill. Plenty of recipes around! Or put a Shepherd's Pie together. Or a lasagne. I also like a casserole that's similar to jambalaya with different seasonings; it's sauteed chicken (chunks) and hot sausage with mushrooms, with rice; the liquid is a mixture of white wine and stock.

-dan

susabusa
08-19-2003, 09:33 PM
The Freezer Queen is here! I have a ton of recipes that are easy to make ahead of time and are freezer friendly. You could make one for you for dinner and one to send home with him. email me and I'll send you a zip file of all the recipes in my last cookbook

Stephanie
[email protected]

sweetbasil
08-19-2003, 09:43 PM
Tater Tot Casserole (easy, easy!)

Preheat oven to 350F
Brown 1# ground beef and 1 chopped onion
Pour into 9x13 baking dish
Cover with one can Cream of Mushroom soup, spread evenly
Cover with one can Cheddar Cheese Soup (or Nacho/Fiesta Cheddar for some zing ;)), spread evenly
Competely cover the top with tater tots, evenly spaced

Bake for 30 minutes, or until bubbly.

Enjoy! :)

cchavez
08-20-2003, 07:33 AM
I have a box of this(jumbalaya??) in the pantry....the one made with Brown rice....(makes me feel like i am eating healthy :)) so it is yummy?...i may have to make this soon...is it very spicy? tia

btw, not a casserole but 2 easy crock pot recipes

cover a pork or beef roast with 1 can of rotel and 2 cans of chopped green chiles and cook on low overnite....serve with tortillas, salsa, sour cream

cover country style/western style pork ribs with your fave bbq sauce and cook on low overnite. ....serve pulled pork on wheat burger buns...we had this last nite and DH really liked it!!

hth

kransden
08-20-2003, 09:20 AM
My mom used to make that, but she added french cut green beans and used american cheese slices underneath the tater tots, I haven't had that in over 15 years! I'll have to make that soon. Thanks for the happy memory!
Karin
Katie 10/24/02

MartiesMom2B
08-20-2003, 11:03 AM
Jamie:

Thanks for the inspiration. I think I'll be making this week for dinner. Ha ha.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

hbangthompson
08-20-2003, 01:49 PM
One of our favorite recipes is pulled BBQ chicken sandwiches and it's beyond too easy. You put about 4 frozen chicken breasts in your crock pot, slice up a med-large onion, pour in a bottle of BBQ sauce and cook on high for 4 hours (or low for 6-8). When the chicken is done, you take 2 forks and pull apart the chicken so it's kind of shredded. I usually add a little more BBQ sauce and let it cook in about 30-45 minutes more. I serve it on either hamburger buns or kaiser or onion rolls with veggies, salad, whatever. And it refrigerates for leftovers nicely and you just reheat in the microwave. You can also use pork or beef if you prefer.

Torey
08-20-2003, 04:59 PM
That shredded BBQ chicken one sounds so yummy and easy. I've been trying to find decent recipes for my crockpot - thanks so much!

houseof3boys
08-20-2003, 05:31 PM
Well the tater tot casserole is a first for me. I would have to modify that with faux meat since I am a veg, but it sounds kinda cool. I will have to give that a try!!