PDA

View Full Version : OT- ISO a new Refrigerator!

sugarsnappea
08-20-2003, 08:05 AM
The recent posts of washers, dryers and vacuums have inspired me to seek help in my fridge quest.

I am looking for a 25 cubic foot (hoping to get counter depth-we'll see!) black fridge. I am drawn to the swing-style freezer on the bottom but DH thinks that the freezers are actually smaller on these models. Does anyone have a fridge like this? I also would like to have an ice maker/water dispenser on the door. I am looking at something mid-range for price >$1400. It is hard to find many counter depths in this price point. However, a good friend works for Kitchenaid/Whirlpool and can he can get us a deal on many models. If anyone has a kitchenaid or other brand that they love, please share!
TIA!! :)

mharling
08-20-2003, 08:53 AM
In our experience, stay away from the GE Profile Arctica series. We got one a couple years a go and had many problems. I can't even guess how much frozen produce we had to throw out. We finally got a replacement this spring and so far, so good. But, I've heard of others with problems too. It may be because it's a relatively new line and they're working out kinks, but I would stay away.

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3237413c427 - New 6/18

stillplayswithbarbies
08-20-2003, 10:02 AM
I don't think you can have both a freezer on the bottom and ice/water in the door. If you find a model that has both, let me know because I like both of those features.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

sugarsnappea
08-20-2003, 10:12 AM
I think you are right. I have heard that Kenmore makes a side by side fridge on top with a freezer on the bottom. I am not sure if there is a ice/water dispenser though... :)

CherylT
08-20-2003, 12:11 PM
I agree to skip GE's - my brother lives in a subdivision where a GE frig was their only choice (no upgrades) and he said they and several of their neighbors have had nothing but trouble with their refrigerators. Two people have had to have them replaced and at least 3 others had to have them serviced - and the subdivision is only a little over a year old. I had a frig with the freezer on the bottom at my old house and I LOVED it - I think it was a Kenmore, but I can't really remember. I miss it so much. They hold WAY more than a side by side IMHO - mainly because you aren't constrained by the width/height of an item. Plus having the refrigerated stuff on top is so much handier. When we bought ours, you could get an auto ice maker with the freezer on the bottom models, but not water - but who knows, maybe that's changed now. When we moved we needed to buy a new frig, but were severely limited in it's height (we live in an historic home) so we couldn't get one here. We have a side by side and we use the ice, but never use the water (but we also have a water cooler). If/when we move or I need a new frig again I am definitely getting a freezer on the bottom (even if I have to knock a wall out here!). Maybe you could find out the cubic footage of the freezers and refrigerator compartments to compare if size is an issue? Anyway, HTH - best of luck to you...

Cheryl
SAHM to Lilli 9/20/00 & Alec 10/21/02

jd11365
08-20-2003, 04:26 PM
We went to a Sears scratch and dent store and got our $1400 Kenmore for $450...there is a scratch on the side which you can't see because it is hidden my the cabinets...it is a 25 cubic foot Kenmore and I love it! I don' t like water in the door...even with a filter...I have a water cooler. IMOH it tastes better...Florida has horrible water even filtered! Regardless, I would check into a scratch and dent place for HUGE discounts.

dogmom
08-20-2003, 07:07 PM
I got an Amana side by side counter depth, 36 inch wide. I really like it, although I do miss my bottom freezer. Luckily, all we did was move that to the back hallway. It has ice, filtered water, etc. I liked the inside set up a little better than the other brands. My appliance dealer told me to stay away from GE because (1) they were more expensive and (2) they were having problems with the compressors on them. I tried to get one from the scratch & dent at Sears but I could not find a counter depth one. I have black, it hardly shows a thing.

phirey
08-20-2003, 11:16 PM
I second the Sears outlet for scratch n dents. Got an $1100 bottom-freezer Kenmore for somewhere around $500. Love love love the bottom freezer (or actuall the top fridge is what I love, but you know what i mean!)

Tondi G
08-20-2003, 11:47 PM
My BIL and SIL have an Amana fridge with the bottom freezer and it has a water dispenser on the inside on the left side.... it was pretty cool..... I believe they also had an ice maker in the freezer part! It might be worth checking out.... it was a nice fridge!

Good Luck...... I soooo want a new fridge..... we live in an apartment currently but are hoping to get into a house sooner than later so we keep holding back on getting a new fridge.... I am so jealous you are getting a new one!

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01

sugarsnappea
08-21-2003, 06:57 AM
Thanks everyone. I am going to find out where there is a Sears Outlet. I too, have heard good things about the Amana. You have all pointed me in the right direction. :)