PDA

View Full Version : Co-sleeper who rolls

NancyJ
09-03-2003, 12:31 PM
What do you do with the cosleeping baby for the hours before you get into bed, especially when the babe begins to roll?

I've been putting DS to sleep in our bed at about 8p, usually by BF'ing and then detaching when he falls asleep. I leave him in our bed, on his back, and check on him pretty regularly for the next 3-4 hours until DH and I go to bed. However, he's just begun to roll from back to tummy on the carpet, so I expect he'll be rolling on the bed very soon.

Two nights ago I put the foam sleep positioner on my bed and put DH in that, but it later occurred to me that if he somehow turns onto his tum on the sleep positioner that would be a really bad thing considering how soft the positioner is. So last night I made a wide border around DS with our pillows and checked on him about every 4 minutes. I was so uneasy about the pillows and couldn't get anything else done since I was checking on him so often, so that's not a workable solution.

We have the arm's reach co-sleeper next to our bed, so that's the obvious solution, but DS is very finicky and still somewhat colicky, so sometimes the only thing that will get him to sleep is the breast. Since he wakes up if I move him after he falls asleep, it would be tough to BF in my bed and then try to move him to the co-sleeper.

What do the rest of you cosleepers do with the babe before you go to bed?

Nancy
Mom to Braeden 6.5.03

toomanystrollers
09-03-2003, 12:47 PM
Hi Nancy,
What about putting your matress/boxspring on the floor or purchase some bedrails -I'm not sure which ones are recommended for co-sleeping. Check out mothering.com - go to Discuss- and then onto the "Family Bed" forum. I'm sure you'll find some solutions.

Good luck,

Rachels
09-03-2003, 02:42 PM
We used pillows, too, but I like our current solution MUCH better. We put our mattress and boxspring on the floor, then put a crib mattress between our bed and the wall. I can lie down on the crib mattress with Abigail to settle her down if need be, but then I don't have to worry about her falling off. When we go to bed, we also don't have to be concerned about waking her. She comes into our bed during the night at some point, but starts her night and takes her naps on her little mattress. I wish I'd figured that out months ago. It's a great solution for us.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02