PDA

View Full Version : Kindermusik?

heytootsy
09-03-2003, 10:17 PM
I am thinking of signing Maya up for a music class. Has anyone been to a music class with their baby? How about Kindermusik?

flagger
09-03-2003, 10:47 PM
>I am thinking of signing Maya up for a music class. Has
>anyone been to a music class with their baby? How about
>Kindermusik?

This was posted on another forum that I belong to. Her son is six months old.

Kindermusic has several levels depending on the age of your child. I found it shortly after we moved here and was SO desperate to find something to do that I signed up right away!! It's 180.00 but it's a 15 week class so that only comes to $12 a class. Of course $30.00 of that was supplies they SAY we needed. Anyway...I know he's young, but if he has that same gift for music I want him exposed to it early. Plus it should be fun. This week is the first week of classes. I'll let you know how I like it!

Posted later that same day

We REALLY enjoyed Kindermusik today though. I think he will really like it. It's at his naptime and he MISSED his nap (after being up most of the night..argh!) but he did great in class anyway because he was kept stimulated the whole time. He really seemed to enjoy it.

HTH

Roleysmom
09-03-2003, 11:50 PM
Hey Chrissy,

We haven't done Kindermusik but we have been to Wiggleworms, the music and movement class at Sing and Dance (on Halsted about 2600 north) and a similar class at the JCC. I really like that type of class, especially for a baby Maya's age. I think it gets a little less fun as the kids get older (the class feels more disjointed as the kids wander around everywhere.) All of the classes we have been to follow the same basic format. The babies sit on the floor near the parents, the instructor has a guitar and you sing, do songs with finger movements, maybe puppets, the older babies and toddlers use shakers and then you get up and walk around and swoosh them in and out, etc. There's always a hello and goodbye song where you sign each baby's name. That's cool. Oh, and there's bubbles too. A couple of the classes had a parachute that we waved up and down with the babies underneath. It's really fun. At our wiggleworms class, I could tell Roley was paying close attention when the older kids were spinning around and later that weekend when we had music on she spun around for the first time. It's also a nice chance to relearn all of the words to songs we grew up with!

Paula-- mom to Roley Julia 01-04-02

ginalc
09-04-2003, 06:58 AM
Hi,

I have done Kindermusik with my soon to be 3-yr old DD and it was fun. Like any class, there is "homework" where you learn in the classroom and you are supposed to practice at home with your child. There is a "materials fee" that includes a CD, book, and some other items.

DD really loved the class, but for me it was a little annoying. Our teacher was really chatty and I learned all about her husband looking for a new job, her daughter's experience in the 8th grade, her neighbor's dog, yadda yadda yadda. We learned alot from the class in terms of movement, songs, instrument playing, etc. If you have a good instructor (and ours was pretty good aside from the chattiness) you'll have a great time. It's a great way to meet Moms with children the same age in your area. I started a playgroup out of my Kindermusik class that continues today.

I think that both Kindermusik and Gymboree exercise classes offer a free day to participate and observe before buying classtime. They also have fall Open Houses to introduce Moms, kids, and teachers. You might want to call and ask locally.

Good Luck!

gina, mom to 3

khakismom
09-04-2003, 10:53 AM
Kathleen and I did Kindermusik when she was about 9 months and are doing it now. This is one of her favorite classes! She loves music and singing--and the Kindermusik Village music was great. Easy songs to sing and listen to. And fun instruments to play. Maya should be at a perfect age to start this.

Let us know if you sign her up and what you think. Have fun!!

heytootsy
09-04-2003, 02:18 PM
Thanks for your info. I think I am going to sign up. Classes start on September 16, I will let you know how we like it.

C99
09-04-2003, 04:03 PM
I did a Kindermusik preview class with Nathaniel and we just started Wiggleworms today. IMO, they're very similar. Kindermusik follows a specific format, however, and ties it all together with books and take-home music CDs.

redhookmom
09-04-2003, 09:59 PM
I have gone to many Kindermusic classes, with three different instructors. The format is the same but the feel of the class is so different with each teacher. I too know way to much information about one of the teachers... I think the curriculm is great! If you can try one out first, I think that would be a great idea.

I have also gone to other music classes. What I like about Kindermusic is the take home stuff. The music becomes a part of our lives.

Jessica