PDA

View Full Version : Taking baby to class?

sntm
09-04-2003, 11:02 AM
I'm taking graduate classes now and have only epidemiology, from 9:30 to 10:45 am, on Thursdays. Jack just got in to the new daycare (yay!!) and they have the option of paying for just 4 days a week. If we do this, the majority of the time I can drop him off at DH's office for that time, but may have to bring him to class once or twice a month. This hadn't really occurred to me but I've heard of more and more people talking about bringing their babies to classes.

It's a really interesting class, with a great (and nice) professor. It's about 50 people, in a small auditorium-style classroom. There is a door by the back row. I would plan to leave with him if he got verbal at all.

Should I ask my professor about this?

Pros:
- $56 a month savings (which we could use)
- spend more time with Jack

Cons:
- may look unprofessional to professor
- may bother people in the class
- may lead to me missing some class or being distracted
- may interfere with Jack's AM nap?

What do you all think?

sntm
09-04-2003, 11:11 AM
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

KMommie
09-04-2003, 11:11 AM
I think if your professor is okay with this, and you can have someone take notes for you if you have to leave early---it's a great opportunity. It wouldn't be every week and as long as you're considerate of the other students by making sure Jack isn't a distraction, I don't see why not! Hope it works out for you!

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

chrissyhowie
09-04-2003, 11:14 AM
Since it would only be once a month or so, I don't think it would be a big problem. But, I think as Jack gets older it will be more and more difficult to rely on him sleeping through the class. In other words, I wouldn't COUNT on being able to pay attention or stay through the times he has to come with you.

But since the savings could come in handy, it's something that might be worth trying. I guess you'd have to weigh if missing the class once a month was worth the $56 savings. If it routinely became twice a month, then I personally don't think it would be worth that price.

HTH,

cara1
09-04-2003, 11:34 AM
I took DS once to a work meeting that I HAD to go to (it was an emergency on a Sunday). People were just glad I showed up at all. He was about 14 mos and very well-behaved that day, but other than my presence, I was clearly distracted and not paying much attention. So if you just have to show up at the class, but don't actually care about what's happening, then yes, it would give you some extra time with him. But I'm not sure I'd recommend it. You could try it once and see how it goes...

amp
09-04-2003, 11:38 AM
I didn't vote, since I am kind of on the fence. I think I would check with the professor first. Then, if the prof is really ok with it, and it's really not every week, I guess I might try it. The thing I would be concerned about would be that you might be used to his noises and cooing or crying, but others won't be and are paying to take the class, so you may have to leave and miss quite a bit. But the money you would be saving would be tempting. Do you have to plan to schedule the daycare now, or can you add that day later if you need to? If it's possible for you to do it this way, I guess I would plan to skip that day at daycare, try to use DH when possible, and then when necessary take Jack with you to class and see how it goes the first time. If it doesn't work, then do the daycare so you don't miss class or disrupt others. I just don't know if you will lose your slot at the daycare. HTH!

nitaghei
09-04-2003, 12:44 PM
Frankly, I wouldn't. Even a quiet baby is a tremendous distraction for everyone - you, the professor and the other students. When I taught, I tried to be as accomodating as possible, but I was not happy when someone brought a baby to class. Ditto for when I was a student. And I LIKE babies.

How much would you be able to concentrate in class? How would the presence of a baby affect the concentration of other students?

Another thing you might want to consider is that as Jack gets older, he may demand more attention. Since he was about 5 months old, DS does not like my ignoring him if I am in the same room, even though he would play happily by himself if he couldn't see me.

HTH

Nita

bjiang
09-04-2003, 01:49 PM
I strongly advice not take the baby to a class. I don't think you will get much out of the class with a baby there unless he sleeps through the entire class, which is not very likely. I have tried to work from home while looking after my daughter at the same time, and it is very unproductive. If this class is that important, I would spend that $56 dollar a month so I can concentrate in class and not have to spend the extra effort after class to catch up.

wdland45
09-04-2003, 02:00 PM
I don't think I would bring the baby either. I agree that the baby may a distraction to the prof which is not fair to other students, especially if they had to pay to take the class. You will also miss out because there is a good posibility that the baby will not sleep through the entire class and you will be distracted. Good luck.

sntm
09-04-2003, 02:02 PM
We've discussed it more and I think I've decided not to bring him. As much as I would love to save the money, it just isn't worth it. Thanks for all your advice! I'm getting to where I can't turn around without consulting the boards first.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

cara1
09-05-2003, 12:50 PM
:)
Um, you may turn around now.
Don't forget to let us know when you have to pee! (LOL, I'm the same way!)