PDA

View Full Version : Question about condom brands

mommyj
09-04-2003, 11:49 AM
I seem to remember an old thread where a few people mentioned a good brand of condoms. Does anyone remember what that was or have any recommendations for good brands?
TIA!

flagger
09-04-2003, 12:00 PM
I found this in a thread from April.

there's always the premium condoms like Excalibur by Sagami and MicroThin by Kimono.

This may be TMI, but I wonder if it has been so long when the mood hit both of you do you or (your spouse as the case may be) always stop to get b/c protected?

lizajane
09-04-2003, 01:33 PM
i think the ones i like are lifestyles, in the purple box. i think it may have an X on it? which is funny. because when dh went to buy some, after ds was born, he bought TROJANS in a purple box! YUCK! i think trojans suck. i think they are the high school kids brand. ya know, to put in his wallet so that his friends think he is cool? dh thought he had it right because the box was purple! silly dh. and those are non-oxydol nine (sp?) free, as i am allergic to it. and i don't intend to use hormonal b.control because i want to breastfeed to 12 mo and then get pregnant again, so i didn't want to bother with all that... i would have to stop taking it at 9mo old, and wouldn't have started until 3 mo old because i would be scared to lower my milk supply...

just being candid here, which sounds weird to read, but how else can you talk about condoms?

egoldber
09-04-2003, 01:39 PM
We also used Lifestyles, both for a year before we started TTC but after I went off the pill and ever since Sarah was born.

HTH,

KathyO
09-04-2003, 02:03 PM
"there's always the premium condoms like Excalibur by Sagami and MicroThin by Kimono"

That was probably me. I highly recommend both of these - they're a lot thinner and conduct heat a lot better (a surprising amount of the sensation is wound up in heat transmission) than the run-of-the-mill stuff you get at most drugstores. They are Japanese-made, and are available online if you don't have a well-stocked store near you. They're pricier than the ordinary ones, but I figure that since we're not exactly going through 6 or 7 a week (ahh, youth...), I can justify the expense!

A trick I learned from Lou Paget which also helps make condom-wearing not too onerous for the gentleman is to put a few drops of Astroglide inside the tip before putting it on.

And in case you are wondering, (A) the Japanese quality control is excellent - these are not those crappy novelty things sold in the vending machines, and (B) the popular myth about (ahem) "relative fit" from one ethnic group to another does not apply... if your partner is too large for these, then he's putting them on the wrong limb.

And yep, Flagger... we never got "swept away" enough to forget! These days, I am grateful enough to be achieving "takeoff speed"... "swept away" takes even more energy than that!!!

How's that for TMI???

Cheers,

KathyO

The mention of vending machines takes me back to my days as a university birth control counsellor. The student council was having condom machines installed on campus, and called us in to "vet" the various bids being put in by companies which were to install and stock the machines, to make sure that the condoms were actually decent stuff, and not just cheap novelties. One company, I recall, had made its start in snack vending machines, and had branched out into condoms as a later-on thing. Their name derived from their original line of business... which is why we were called to meet with the condom-vending rep from (I swear I am not making this up) "Nimble Nuts Inc."...

Tondi G
09-04-2003, 06:42 PM
I would recommend the Kimono condoms (they really are thinner) followed by the Lifestyles brand.... Do NOT buy Trojans..... Dh and I went through 3 condoms breaking in a row when we were dating.... SCARY! I always got Lifestyles from the free clinic I went to in college.... they have NEVER broken on us!

Good Luck
~Tondi

flagger
09-08-2003, 03:54 PM
I didn't want to post this in the good or bad website section, but I wanted to say that as we could not find the Kimono or Sagami brand condoms locally, I ordered them from Condom Country at www.condom.com

I ordered them on Thursday and they arrived from Seattle to Charlotte on Saturday. Two Days!!! They were not cheap, but based on the reviews here worth trying. Thought I would share if anyone cannot find them locally that I was amazed they arrived so fast.

TMI: Now hopefully one of these weeks, I will actually get to use them. ;)

himom
09-08-2003, 07:09 PM
LOL!

Check out the graphics at that website! I love the condom wearing a handkerchief around its neck.

Jodi
Mommy to Joshua, born February 2003

Edited because I evidently cannot spell handkerchief.

parkersmama
09-09-2003, 05:42 PM
"Nimble Nuts"...I'm LMAO! ;-)