PDA

View Full Version : ds is trying to roll over but his arm gets in the way

cchavez
09-04-2003, 12:47 PM
ds is 4 mos and has been trying to roll over for several wks now....but his arm gets in the way...should i help him out

btw, he weighs 17lbs!

flagger
09-04-2003, 12:49 PM
IMHO, I wouldn't. I want to encourage independence as much as possible and only intervene if causing great harm, pain or permanent damage.

lizajane
09-04-2003, 01:25 PM
schuyler's arm got in the way for a while. and finally, he got over, but landed on his arm. i have found him in the am lying on his tummy sucking his thumb, with his free hand holding the thumb hand. in other words, he is on top of his arm. i used to help him get his arm out when he rolled, trying to teach him how to not get it stuck. but now, i leave him alone. he can get it out when he wants to. and since he can fall back asleep that way, i know it isn't hurting him.

he didn't roll until almost 5 months, at which point he was probably around 19+ pounds. (at 16 weeks he was 18lbs 5oz) i think big babies roll later because they have so much mass to bring with them!

bnme
09-04-2003, 01:52 PM
It took my DS a while to overcome this, too. He was at least 6 months before he was rolling over well. Now at 8 months we rolls around like a pro..thats his mode of transportation..not crawling, rolling
:P
cute

Anyway, I would occasionally show him how to tuck the arm under, but mostly left him to figure it out on his own.

bjiang
09-04-2003, 02:02 PM
It's not going to make much of a difference if you help me out or not. Eventually, and very soon, he would figure it out. You need to put him in a safe place or watch him very closely now. My daughter fell off the bed when she learned how to roll over.

Momof3Labs
09-04-2003, 03:51 PM
No need to help him - that happens to just about every baby, and when they are ready, they figure it out on their own!