PDA

View Full Version : i am so lame... grocery excitement

lizajane
09-04-2003, 06:56 PM
so i go to kroger tonight, and the sales are just fabulous. i saved $48+ in "kroger savings" with my little kroger card thingy. and $9.50 in coupons.

dh called my cell phone while i was in frozen foods, and i almost sang him a song about how his FAV morningstar veggie "sausage" patties were 2 for $4.00 and i had a coupon for $1.50 off three. )those things are expensive and he eats 2 patties a day!!)

so i practically wanted to call my mom i was so excited about how much i saved at the store.

I AM SO FREAKING LAME!!! THIS IS MY LIFE!!!

wow. i am now officially the ultimate housewife dork.

MartiesMom2B
09-04-2003, 07:23 PM
I should subscribe to the crappy paper just to get Sunday coupons. That's pretty cool that you saved so much. I would be happy too.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

houseof3boys
09-04-2003, 07:49 PM
I am the same way except I get all psyched about the percentage saved overall too. I like to be around 25-30% savings or I get sad!

I love those Morningstar faux sausage patties too. I like them on those frozen Pillsbury biscuits...yummy!!!! I even have my non-vegetarian husband eating them too.

Gotta love those double coupons. :7

JElaineB
09-04-2003, 07:57 PM
Same here! As soon as hubby got home today I had to tell him how great I did at Toys R Us today buying diapers, formula, pj's etc. with all the TRU coupons I used, Enfamil checks AND coupons, and double-couponed Pampers (BRU AND a manufacturer coupon)! I did save a lot of money, when you don't have a lot it is exciting! :)

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

nathansmom
09-04-2003, 09:50 PM
If your lame then I must be really lame. I shop at Smiths ( a kroger owned store) and last week between double coupons and formula checks I took my total from $115 to $41. Not bad.

LisaMom2Allie
09-04-2003, 11:31 PM
I guess I am pretty lame too is this what happens when you become a SAHM with a baby? Coupon shopping takes longer but I think it is definitely worth my time-I leave DD home w/ DH when I shop so the extra time that it takes is kind of like a mini getaway. It is really neat when you see how much you save and think WOW now I can go to the mall!

Lisa
Mom to Allie Nicole
3-10-03

alkagift
09-05-2003, 09:43 AM
Liza,
You crack me up.

Actually, the other day I was just thinking that I needed a new coupon holder thingy because the one I have just doesn't have the cool pre-printed categories and I hate having to come up with them (lazy). AND my fav store, Publix, now doubles coupons up to 50 cents. The Thursday paper is my favorite. I love seeing how much money I save on things--it's like a game!

So, you have some company in the housewife dork category--and I'm not a SAHM--not yet, anyway.

Allison
Mommy to Matthew, 5/19/03

celfsh
09-05-2003, 09:48 AM
Really? Wow, Norah, that is awesome! What day is double coupon day?

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02

starrynight
09-05-2003, 10:02 AM
I guess I'm lame too!! I get so excited when I save money with coupons, I even get mad if I buy something and a week later find a coupon for it in the paper LOL. Instead of subscribing to the paper, I go out on Sunday morning and in some places here you can get the sunday paper on saturday with the coupons and everything for a$1.00 instead of $2.00 because it's the early edition! Anyway, I look through the paper in the store, if the coupons are really good and are ones I will use I buy 2 papers to get double the savings but if the coupons are crappy I don't buy it or I buy a different paper. Then I don't waste money on a whole subscription.

Oh fyi~on 4 day monday holiday weekends there are never coupons in the paper, why I have no clue.

I was so excited the other day because I got a venus razor on sale for $3 plus a free toothbrush!

MartiesMom2B
09-05-2003, 10:16 AM
I just looked at the rates for the N&O and it's cheaper if I went to Triangle Town Center and bought it myself. Sunday papers are only $1.00 there.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

pritchettzoo
09-05-2003, 11:37 AM
Not only are you un-lame, you have decided lunch for me--thanks! (I got the same deal at Kroger! Woohoo!)

Wait until Kroger has SUPER double coupons. You'll be dancing in the aisles!

BTW--do you have your Kroger card hooked up to Upromise? Also, if the coupons are really good one week, you can buy two papers for the price of one on Sunday and get double the inserts (or at least you can at our Kroger). I do this if I'll save more than the price of the paper...

Anna
#1(DD) EDD 9/10/03

nathansmom
09-05-2003, 11:39 AM
Smiths doesn't have a set day they just run double coupon specials. They did one last week, it ran Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. They should be having a triple coupon day coming soon. I'll call or email you the next time they run the special.

momma_boo
09-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Just to clarify, it's not just SAHMs who like to save money. :-) I get excited when something is one sale and I have a coupon for it (luckily for me, most of the supermarkets here have double coupons ALL THE TIME for coupons less than $1. Heck, once in a blue moon the Pathmark has triple coupons).

I was buying diapers at Target last weekend (huggies were on sale) and I got so pissed b/c they only had two packs of the size 3's -- I had 3 coupons! I'll just have to wait and see who is having a sale on huggies and use that coupon.

JustMare
09-05-2003, 04:48 PM
I'm exactly the same way!!!

A few months ago I was beside myself to get 4 whole chickens at Costco for $5!!! (they come 2 per a pack and they ran a coupon for buy one pack, get one free)

I always shop where they offer double coupons. The Stop n Shop near my Mom's runs a triple coupon event a few times a year. I once got a large jar of Hellman's Mayo for 25 cents!

Last week DH was excited I got a case of crushed tomato cans for $4.99! They sell her in the city for $2.89 each!

My BIL is also a huge shopper and told me that NJ does not have a bottle return deposit like NY does. So now every once in awhile I stock up on soda in NJ. I could save the bottles and cash them in NY but I'm to lazy to shelp them to the store!

I'm a coupon queen in my house!!! I just get a high from the savings!!

mharling
09-05-2003, 11:17 PM
That's very impressive Norah!!!

I've become a coupon addict and love to tell dh what I saved. I'm so thankful to be a SAHM that I figure this is an easy way to help our finances.

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3237413c427 - New 6/18

mom2kandj
09-06-2003, 02:49 AM
Try this site! www.grocerygame.com
I'm not sure this will work in all parts of the country, but in SoCal, it sure cuts down on my grocery bills. I cut coupons every Sunday, but the list tells me which coupons to use every week. It lets me know the item's regular price, sale price, and price after coupon savings in my store. I routinely pay 25-40% of regular price. I also stockpile items for free or very cheap so that my pantry is always stocked freeing up my $$ for fresh veggies and meat. If I do stockpile too many items, I'm gladly donate my excess to the local foodbank. HTH!

Rose
mom 2 katie (33 months)
& Jack (16 months)