PDA

View Full Version : Realization--I am a good parent (and so are you)

peanut4us
09-05-2003, 09:19 AM
I'm at work (very boring conference call). It's the end of my first week at work (thanks pritchettzoo for remembering). With everything else going on in life, I haven't been too emotional this week. Just psycho stressed about my milk supply. All I've had time to do really is post in the nursing forum and get help. I just read through all of the replies and the theme is the same, RELAX (and drink more water ;-)).

Then I had a realization as I was skimming through some of the other eating issues some of the other parents had, when we trust our instincts and pay attention to our child (not necessarily our ped, mother, MIL, friend, playgroup mom... the dog), we almost can't go wrong. My milk supply will or won't decrease, nothing I can do about that except try, without worrying. Your DD or DS won't eat, nothing you can do about that but watch your child and try to read their cues about hunger or variety or whatever the problem is.

And the thing about it is, I am a much better, more fun, together mom when I relax and let Sara show me what to do. Go figure, we were up all freaking night nursing last night. Exactly what my milk supply needed... by her cue, not mine.

So let's all pat each other on the back, tell each other we are doing a good job (the best we can), and relax.

deep thoughts, by Joey

chrissyhowie
09-05-2003, 10:30 AM
So well stated! It put a smile on my face during a busy and stressful week. Thanks for the pick-me-up note :).

trumansmom
09-05-2003, 11:30 AM
The best thing my mother ever said to me during DS's early days was, "God made mommies long before he made pediatricians."

I try to remember that, and know that as long as I'm doing what I believe is best for my child, odds are I'm not going to screw it up too badly. (I especially try to remember this when he's throwing a tantrum in Target screaming, "BAD MOMMY!" at the top of his lungs!:) )

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and EDD 4/23/04!

cara1
09-05-2003, 12:34 PM
Hmmm, yes, I'll try to remember that when I stop beating myself up for giving DS some beer. Well, not really. Someone suggested breaded zuchinni in the feeding forum. Rather than bread it myself, I wanted to see if DS would eat it, and saw some ready-made in the store. He ate some, but not much. It wasn't until much later that I read the label, "Beer Batter zuchinni"! Great, my son eats beer, batteries, and dirt. With an occasional Cheerio. But he's still happy!

barbarhow
09-05-2003, 08:34 PM
Thanks Joey! I needed to hear this. I've had a tough week and the pat on the back is a big help.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

mharling
09-05-2003, 11:28 PM
Wonderful post; thanks, Joey!

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3237413c427 - New 6/18