PDA

View Full Version : When did yout babies start showing an interest in drawing?

jojo2324
09-06-2003, 08:21 AM
Gannon has lately really become fixated by pens. Most likely because I am on the computer too much, he will sit on my lap, grab a pen, and play with it for quite some time. (Cap on!)

Well, of course he sticks everything in his mouth still, so I tried giving him a nubby pencil, which didn't work because that went dangerously near his eye. Am I awful because I don't have crayons, chalk, cray-pas, paint, anything?!?! He doesn't even point at stuff yet, so why would I think he could color? I did get him some crayons to use in the bathtub, but he chews on those too, and then his teeth get all green. Our driveway is all loose stones, so he can't play with chalk there.

Any thoughts? Is it okay for his teeth to get all green? (With a good brushing, they look good as new.)

twins r fun
09-06-2003, 12:46 PM
Jacob and Caleb got their first crayons in their Easter baskets so they were about 17-18 months old. I had noticed a few weeks prior that they had stopped eating the ones provided at restaurants so I figured they were ready. Up until that time crayons went right in the mouth. However, they were okay with pens earlier than that-I guess pens don't look as appetizing! Other people (grandparents, babysitters, etc) always took pens from them whenever they got ahold of one as if they posed a danger, but I never saw a danger in pens (except maybe to the walls if you aren't watching). We just got sidewalk chalk, markers, and paint (which they don't care for) last month because they seem to really be interested in coloring, writing, etc now. I would say if Gannon is still eating everything then there's no point in giving it to him and I suggest starting with pens since they seem the least edible.

Andrea S
09-06-2003, 01:07 PM
Andrew is the same way -- loves pens, but eats everything so I have not tried crayons yet.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

egoldber
09-06-2003, 01:36 PM
I want to say it was around 14-16 months that Sarah started to "color" with crayons as opposed to eating them.

trumansmom
09-06-2003, 02:43 PM
Ditto. The good part about it is that it makes going out to eat easier again! I never, ever leave the house without crayons.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and EDD 4/23/04!

lukkykatt
09-06-2003, 02:48 PM
I just started putting my 14 month old in his high chair with 2 pieces of paper taped to his tray, and a few crayons. He loves it, and I can actually get dinner made...sometimes!

But you are right, pens for some reason are the most coveted items in the house.

mamahill
09-06-2003, 06:16 PM
Ainsleigh has loved drawing since about 14 months. She has crayons (the Crayola Kid's First), but she by FAR prefers a pencil. I have no idea why. I don't let her have pens for obvious reasons. She doesn't seem to care - as long as whatever I give her draws. I've given her unsharpened pencils and for some reason she loves to 'draw' on the furniture and walls without noticing it isn't leaving a trail. What a weirdo.

egoldber
09-06-2003, 06:48 PM
Another good activity is "painting" with water!

jojo2324
09-06-2003, 07:02 PM
Yeah, I don't want him to play with pens...Hence me giving him a dull pencil. I just worry that a) he'll stab himself and b) he'll get ink all over this green Earth.

He *does* want to do something with the pen or pencil, though. He always starts to "draw" on the desk or scraps of paper that are lying around. I put a piece of paper on his high chair tray when I gave him the pencil, but that was a near trip to the ER.

Maybe I will try the water painting...I guess I should hold off on the bath tub paints, huh?

colleenfs
09-06-2003, 07:36 PM
Julia has been into coloring any all writing implements since @ 17 months old. She has stopped trying to put crayons in her mouth, so this is good news!! She yells "gooo" when she sees a pen, pencil, or crayon. It cracks me up. I don't know whay gooo is supposed to mean to her, but we just go with it.