PDA

View Full Version : When did your kid(s) start taking only one nap per day?

kristine_elen
09-07-2003, 03:13 PM
Just curious about when kids generally go down to one nap a day. My son usually takes two -- one at about 8 a.m. and one around 2 p.m., give or take. And, when they do just take one, is it usually in the middle of the day? Or is it all so random that these questions are meaningless? (I don't mind at all that he naps twice, believe me.)
Thanks.

sugarsnappea
09-08-2003, 07:33 AM
It was sometime between 18 months and 2 years. The afternoon nap stopped and the morning nap actually lengthened. Right now, JG takes a 3 hour nap. She goes down anywhere from 10:30- 12:30. :)

sweetbasil
09-08-2003, 08:03 AM
Right around 18 mo. He dropped the morning nap and we moved the afternoon nap to noon, then over the next few months kept moving it later (as he could stay awake longer and still act sweet!) until it reached about 2pm, where it now stays. The later we moved it, the longer it got, too...now it's around 3 hours. It ended up being a net positive thing to me- instead of two shorter naps, one really long one, so I could get lots done at once while he napped. (But now that we've got a new baby, that breaks up my 3 hours a fair amount!)

HTH,

mamahill
09-08-2003, 01:18 PM
We dropped the morning nap around 14 months. I noticed her morning nap was still about an hour and a half, but her afternoon one was getting shorter and shorter, and she was REALLY crabby by evening.

If I'm running errands, she'll sometimes fall asleep in her carseat or stroller in the morning, but not for more than 20 minutes at a time. She always has an afternoon nap, though, and practically asks for it. All I have to say is, "Do you want to go night night?" And she'll walk toward her room. Her naps are generally 2-3 hours.

If he's still napping like a champ both times, don't mess with it. My cousin's kid was still taking THREE naps at 18 months. He'll let you know when is naps need to be altered.

kristine_elen
09-08-2003, 02:18 PM
Oh, no, I wasn't planning on trying to alter his schedule at all. In fact, our "schedule" is just a rough out line of when I've noticed he's generally tired. I just follow his lead on the sleep. I was just curious about this and trying to get a general idea of what to expect. Thanks for the info!