PDA

View Full Version : OT-Buying furniture for YOU

cara1
09-07-2003, 06:38 PM
We're looking for a new bedroom set. Two questions. 1) The one we like has no drawer stops. DS aleady had a field day in the store with the knobs and drawers. Would you even consider getting a set that your child (or you) could potentially pull the drawer out completely without a stop? 2) We found the same set online with free delivery and set-up for 1/2 the price. There are a lot of North Carolina sites like this, although this one is out of Ohio (It's called Basista furniture). It's such a deal, but I worry about the reliability, and if there ever was a problem, there's no nearby store to fix/replace/etc. Anyone ever order furniture this way?

SeekerMage
09-07-2003, 11:14 PM
I personally am leary about ordering things I have never seen online, however, if its furniture you have already checked out at the store, just sold online then I say go for it if you like it. Just find out what their return, repair policy is incase they have any problems. If their customer service is good then it shouldnt be a worry but if just trying to find out is a hassle then it might not be worth the savings.

As far as the drawer stop is concerned that really doesnt bother me too much. Especially with stuff in the drawers they will be harder to pull open. you might also be able to find some sort of child proofing gizmo that might act as a stop...dunno. We personally dont let our kids play with drawers etc so its not a problem for us. And as its in your bedroom just make it something that is off limits from the start so you dont have to worry about it. Yes kids will get into things I know you just have to not allow it from the start so they dont get used to the idea and want to play. Thats just my opinion though. Angela has never gone into our dresser drawers so I know its not a problem for us, and unless the drawers are on an easy glide track where they just slide open and keep going I dont see it as a major problem. Go with your gut, if your child already plays in your room with your drawers etc you might want to go back and see how easy they are to fall out if they have some weight inside them etc...if they done fall out easily then go for it.

sweetbasil
09-07-2003, 11:22 PM
Let's see...DS#2 has furniture in his nursery that we got at an unfinished furniture store and DH finished. None of the pieces have drawer stops, and it has never been a problem. DS#1 (when it was his furniture) pulled out a drawer once, and I just put everything back in it and put it back in place. He never did it again after that.

I've purchased through NC several times now...Just be sure they guarantee their shipping costs (we learned that lesson the hard way once). The places I've used required a cashier's check on delivery, and I didn't pay until everything was set up and I was happy. One time my new loveseat came with a small fabric separation, and the furniture company paid to have the Furniture Medics (or some company like that) come out and make the adjustment for us.

We just got our first online-furniture-purchase back in May and love it all...furniture for DS#1s bedroom, and our study, and couldn't be more pleased. All looks just as pictured, just as I imagined it would in person, as I didn't see it IRL until it was delivered to my house. Especially since you've already seen the items IRL, then I wouldn't worry too much. :)

Good luck!