PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have any great reading to share for Tristan's Baptism this weekend

mama2be
09-08-2003, 09:48 PM
Small little affair in New Hope PA in the church we got married in 4 years ago almost to the day!!!! I would love a sweet reading to read to him...any ideas???? He will wear a simple outfit that I wore for mine...

Jen841
09-08-2003, 09:57 PM
Right Start, BRU and other stores have a cute Daily Blessings book with a recording. Maybe incorporate that in some way, and he will always have the book.

There are great bible verses too.

Lots to choose from!

mamahill
09-08-2003, 10:25 PM
Have you thought of writing your own? When DH blessed Ainsleigh, he spoke of different parts of her body kind of like this-

feet - that they may take you places of happiness and success
legs - that they may help you stand with integrity
belly - that you may always be healthy and someday you may be blessed with children of your own
heart - that it may turn to our Heavenly Father for guidance and that you may love those around you
hands - that they may serve your fellow men
shoulders - that they may easily carry any burdens you may be given
your mouth - speak truth, smile often and be quick to laugh
eyes - that you may see the good in others and see right from wrong
brain - that you may know of the deep love your mother and father have for you, and that through their love and the love of your Heavenly Father, you will be able to acheive wonderful things

etc. - It really was beautiful and we have a couple friends who are court reporters who wrote the whole thing down (it was done on the spot - no notes or anything). As Ainsleigh gets older, we'll bring it out on the anniversary of her blessing and share it with her. Anyway - just an idea. I thought I remembered you saying you wrote what was read at your wedding and thought it would be a nice tradition of you sharing your own thoughts. That's so great that it is in the same church, and in your outfit. BEAUTIFUL!

NancyJ_redo
09-09-2003, 01:50 AM
Ooh...that's beautiful! I wish this was posted just 2 days ago. Braeden was baptised this past Saturday and I would have loved to have had something as beautiful, sweet and touching as this.

Btw, Ainsleigh just could not be any cuter. I just checked out your link and she's adorable. The picture by the pumpkins made me giggle out loud because it's so cute, which made DH look at me from the other room with an odd look on his face. He doesn't get this online stuff :)

NancyJ_redo
09-09-2003, 01:52 AM
Neve - I didn't even think about a reading when Braeden was baptised two days ago so I can't help you there, but just having the baptism in the church where you were married, with your baptism outfit, sounds so sentimental and very sweet!

mama2be
09-09-2003, 08:26 AM
oh that is beautiful!!!
i would love to steal it w/permission...

I looked at your shutter bug acct yesterday and then Nancy mentioned a "pumpkin pic" so I knew you must have updated...Miss A is an angel!!!!-you two are having fun that is obvious (you three are having fun that is obvious)..
What a talent for picture taking you have!!!!

lukkykatt
09-09-2003, 08:43 AM
Neve, just wondering if there was anything read at your wedding that would be appropriate for the baptism too? Seems like it would be nice, since in the same church and in your outfit...

Whatever you do, it sounds like it is going to be a beautiful day for Tristan and your family!

Rachels
09-09-2003, 10:02 AM
We asked everyone to join us in reading this in unison to Abigail:

We welcome this child. We accept the responsibility and privilege of providing a warm and caring environment for her spiritual growth. May we be strong in discernment and patience, giving of ourselves to her in wisdom and love. As we receive this child, we wish for her a life of courage and purpose, rich in hope and joy, blessed by the love of her family and friends, and sustained by the comfort of her God.

And we had two other readings. One was from Kahlil Gibran:

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you, yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts.
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.
You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as he loves the arrow that flies, so He loves also the bow that is stable.

And the second was sort of made up. We got the book Wonderful Ways to Love a Child and had someone read all the chapter headings. Strung together, it was just lovely.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02