PDA

View Full Version : Sign you are a happy mother

dogmom
09-09-2003, 08:51 AM
OK, this maybe the hormones talking, but sometimes I think I live on a different planet than other people. I was listening to a bunch of women complain about how their breasts look after pregnancy. My DS is 8 months and his nursing is dropping off dramatically with his increase in food intake. My breasts are starting to "deflate" for a lack of a better word. I can definately see where this is going, and they are not now, and never will be, perky again. I was never big busted, so maybe that helps. But when I look at them I think, "this is what a womans breasts SHOULD look like." It actually makes me happy in some strange way. When I see women with their "twins" out I am just relieved that I don't have to feel like I need to look like a 19 year old beach bunny anymore. Which, let's face it, I never did, but felt bad about it.

It's the way a feel about marriage. Oh, I soooo miss the single days: Was I going to get a date? Was he going to be a jerk? etc. etc. I am just so much happier now with my dear son and husband, why whould I miss looking like a twenty some year old with all that baggage? The other day at a wedding a person asked the table what age whould they like their body to be, not go back in time, just rejuvinate your body. I was the only one who said 30, everyone else said their early 20's. Does anyone else out their feel like me? I'm going to be 40 soon and most female friends I know over 40 take every opportunity they can get to complain about their body. It just seems like such a waste of time. Every time I see my droopy breasts I think, oh they look saggy for about a second, then think about my DS and I am just as happy as I can be. Oh course the fact my DH seems to still like them just fine probably helps my attitude a lot.

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03

mama2be
09-09-2003, 09:28 AM
I kid you not I was in a store once and a mom said "shut up or I'll bite you" to her little toddler running behind her crying!!!

kristine_elen
09-09-2003, 09:35 AM
I know what you mean. I would like it if my stomach got rid of some of its pillowy-ness so I could fit into regular clothes again (my son is 9 months old and I still sometimes wear maternity t-shirts) but other than that, it feels pretty natural to have my body doing what it's doing, sagginess and all.

Rachels
09-09-2003, 10:04 AM
I love this post. I totally agree. Whenever I get a little whimpery over the fact that my belly has little stretch marks now, I can reflect on how they got there and feel very proud. My twenty-year-old body looked okay, but it had never grown and delivered and nourished a human being. I'll take stretch marks and saggy boobs any day for the privilege of having participated in that miracle!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

amp
09-09-2003, 10:33 AM
I hear you! Although there are moments when I feel insecure or self concious about this flappy overhang on my belly and the million stretch marks that cover it, I also feel like this is what my body was meant to do. I know that it will never be the same again...I don't think the flap is going anywhere....my boobs are hanging lower than ever before....there is a road map on my belly...and underneath all of that is a scar from my CS. These are my war wounds. They aren't pretty, but they are the scars of the most beautiful gift of my life, and I am so incredibly proud of the story they tell that it brings tears to my eyes!

caffeinedreams
09-09-2003, 11:52 AM
One thing that has drawn me to this site is how incredibly happy and proud all you moms here are of your babies and your role as a mother. It seems like IRL I hear so much about moms who are irritated with their children and who complain about how hard it is to be a mom and how unhappy they are that their lives and bodies have changed. I know every mom has days and thoughts like that, but you so rarely hear about all the wonderful and amazing things. My DH and are now starting to TTC and the posts on here make me so excited about all I have to look forward to.:)

mamahill
09-09-2003, 12:22 PM
I still can't believe what my body went through - and here I have this toddler to show for it. Every morning I wake up and am in awe of where she came from. And, for the most part, whenever she wakes up in the morning or from her nap, I'm excited to get her up. What are we going to learn now?

I love what going through the good and bad times with her has taught me. And I love that I'm learning and getting over excited over small things again - balloons at the grocery store, a dog crossing the street, running water...

My body isn't what it used to be, but thankfully DH marvels at that as well. He finds it sexy that my body has changed and is more "womanly." And his attraction more than makes up for the stretchmarks and saggy boobs.

I'm just thankful I've had the opportunity to go through a wonderful pregnancy, a not-so-wonderful labor/delivery, and bring forth this little girl who gives me new things to laugh about every day.

mommyj
09-09-2003, 12:23 PM
I totally agree with you. I loved my big pregnant belly, and I've been amazed at how the body just does its thing to produce and then nurture a new life. I think the problem for a lot of women is the body is so sexualized in the US it's hard to deal with it when it suddenly doesn't fit the idea of what a sexy body is. I've never bought into mainstream ideas about what the female body should look like, but I can see that doing so would make it really hard to accept a pregnant or postpartum body. Our youth obsessed society is so concerned with covering up any signs of maturing or aging...I think I'm the exact opposite. My c-section scar and the few stretch marks I have are like a road map of where I've been and what I've experienced. I just feel incredibly blessed to have been able to experience pregnancy, childbirth, and to be a new mom.

cdlamis
09-09-2003, 03:29 PM
I love this post. I may want to get rid of the extra skin around my bellybutton which I affectionately call the Sharpei skin but I don't dislike my c-section scar. I love that everytime I see it, it reminds me of the day Julia was born and where she came from.

I'm proud of all my imperfections that say "I'm a mom". Ok- some of my imperfections. =)

Edited to say: Sarah- I love that picture of Ainsleigh in the pink flowers!

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b32ed938a48d

ginalc
09-09-2003, 03:51 PM
Oh Jeanne, I TOTALLY AGREEE WITH YOU!!!

My 13 yr old DD and I were talking about this "subject" just a few days ago. She commented on how her 8th grade friends couldn't wait to get older. They want to drive and date. We sat down over a cup of cocoa and discussed that life is wonderful enjoying it one day at a time, happy with what we have and being content with who we are. All day, every day, no matter whether you're 13, 37, or 63...

I agree, kids "suck the life" out of those breasts. I wear each little stretch mark with pride and consider myself lucky to be a Mommy. Some days are certainly a challenge, but worth every hug, snuggle, kiss, (time out!) cup of cocoa, and tug on my heart strings.

I'm not the girl who crossed the stage at high school graduation. I've grown into a unique woman and Mother who finds peace among the chaos and joys in my life. And I'm loving every minute of it! :)

gina, mom to 3

mharling
09-09-2003, 08:49 PM
I so agree! My body has been through the most amazing and miraculous thing the human body can do. Why wouldn't I be proud of that?

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b32e1840e40d - New 9/8

wendmatt
09-09-2003, 09:00 PM
Thankyou so much for that post. I was very fit and felt the best I'd ever felt when I got pregnant. Now I don't have the time to work out every day and sometimes I feel bad, but reading your post made me so happy that I have dd instead. I'd much rather be crawling around with her than sweating at the gym! I'm so proud I am a mum and not having that body just doesn't seem important anymore. You just reinforced it for me. Nothing I can do about my saggy boobs anyway, gym or no gym!!

himom
09-10-2003, 05:43 AM
Thank you so much for that post! I tried on some pre-pregnancy bras the other day and I was so unhappy that they didn't fit. I felt even worse when I realized they will probably never fit again.

Of course I already knew I'd much rather have my wonderful DS then get the old breasts back! But I'm so glad to be reminded about how lucky I am to have my baby. Thanks again!

Jodi
Mommy to Joshua, born February 2003