PDA

View Full Version : ear infection?

cindyl
09-10-2003, 10:51 AM
hi moms --

i need advice -- my 8 month old daughter is getting over a cold and is pulling on her ears. she does not have a fever, and except for a couple of morning naps in the last week, has not had any trouble sleeping.

we just went to the doctor this past friday for her 8 month check up, and the doc looked in her ears and declared them just fine.

should i be worried about an ear infection now and bring her into the doc again? i'm such a neurotic, worrying first time mom -- i'm trying to be reasonable.

what would you guys do?

tia, cindy
mom to chloe (1/3/03)

ddmarsh
09-10-2003, 11:09 AM
All of my children have had ear infections and never once has any of them pulled on their ears while infected! It's funny b/c we are always asked "are they pulling on their ears" and they never are, so I'm not sure how true the relation between infection and ear pulling is.

OTOH, it never hurts just to have a quick check and if you are concerned call your ped and see if you could get in soon to have them looked at.

Good luck -
Debbie
Mommy to 3 DS's, 1 DD

Rachels
09-10-2003, 11:37 AM
She sounds okay. If she has been congested, that could be bothering her ears. Barring fever or fussiness or sleep disturbance, I'd guess her ears are probably okay.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

sweetbasil
09-10-2003, 12:20 PM
Was she pulling on her ears when you went to the appt. last week? Having had tubes as a child myself, then taking DS#1 to have the same done at 14 mo., IMO, I would rather hand over the copay than end up with what was in his ears. You know, when there's no place for the mucus to go, it just builds up in the ears and hardens- that's no fun for anybody!

Good luck,

spence1
09-10-2003, 12:36 PM
So what are the biggest symptoms fo an ear infection besides ear pulling?