PDA

View Full Version : gift for expectant mom, second time around?

cindyl
09-11-2003, 09:39 AM
friends of ours are expecting their second, due sometime at the end of march. they have been eager for this pregnancy, as she experienced a miscarriage about a year and a half ago.

she is a very thoughtful person, who baked and brought over treats for me when i was on maternity leave and bfing (in the dead of winter). she lent me a number of very useful books on bfing that saved my life those first difficult weeks.

i would like to get her a small gift to celebrate their happy news. but as you may have gleaned from the description above, she's one of those people who has everything she needs -- she's the giver. any ideas?

tia,
cindy
mom to chloe (1/3/03)

mom2kandj
09-11-2003, 10:12 AM
Givers always give to others and never give enough to themselves.

She seems so thoughtful. I would probably give her the gift of time. Since she does have another child, why don't you get her a gift cert for a pedicure and a personalized gift cert for babysitting. That way, she gets pampered without worries!

As a mom of two under age 3, I would LOVE an offer of three free hours to myself to do nothing(windowshopping, have a nice lunch by myself, read a good book, etc)!

Givers also love gifts that no matter how small show some thought. Maybe a journal or start a photo album of her pregnancy...

Just some thoughts!

Rose
mom 2 katie (33 months)
& Jack (16 months)

trumansmom
09-11-2003, 04:04 PM
I agree with the other post, but if you want to give a gift, how about a gift certificate for a manicure/pedicure/massage/movie tickets/whatever she enjoys, with an offer to babysit while she does this? Or, you could take the older child out for a movie or Chuck E. Cheese, or whatever in the middle of the afternoon and give her a gift certificate for a nap. As someone in a similar situation, a nap would be the greatest gift in the world.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and EDD 4/23/04!

cindyl
09-11-2003, 04:24 PM
thanks for your suggestions. i get the gist -- babysit, babysit, babysit! her son absolutely loves my husband, so i'll enlist his help and we'll give her and her hubby a coupon for a break.

thanks again!

cindy

ddmarsh
09-11-2003, 07:02 PM
I have given those frames that hold ultrasound pictures that have various sayings (love at first sight is the one I have) when friends and family have announced pregnancies and they are a big hit.

Debbie

brubeck
09-11-2003, 08:01 PM
In terms of a baby gift you can always give clothes if the new baby is a different gender.

If it is not, I have had success with giving packs of diapers and wipes. Make sure you get them from a place like Target (with a gift receipt) so she can exchange them if she doesn't like the brand you chose.

I had to give a shower for an Earth Mommy who is having her second boy and CDs. No gift ideas there! So I gave her a 'hospital pack'. It contained some Lansinoh, some washable breast pads, a calling card (for phoning the out-of-town relatives from the hospital room), a new nursing nightgown and some aromatherapy 'pulse point' relaxation cream. I also put in some 'mother's milk' tea. She loved it!

flagger
09-11-2003, 08:17 PM
Besides time, I know it may be a little impersonal but I would love gift cards for BRU, Target, Wal-mart as a gift whether it was first or second child.

trumansmom
09-12-2003, 10:43 AM
What a wonderful idea! I love that! Hmmm.... maybe I can "accidently" forward this to a couple of friends...

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and EDD 4/23/04!

ginalc
09-12-2003, 02:03 PM
I would have paid $3000 for an afternoon nap after DS (baby #3) was born (and DH went back to work).

A nap and homemade dinner. Ahhhhhhhh. Still sounds nice! :)

gina, mom to 3

ginalc
09-12-2003, 02:06 PM
Time is more important than money when you've got 2 (or more) children! :)

gina, mom to 3

mom2kandj
09-12-2003, 05:55 PM
Homemade dinner made by someone else!!! :) Oh, and they'd clean up the house, too!

Rose
mom 2 katie (33 months)
& Jack (16 months)

cilantromapuche
09-13-2003, 09:43 AM
as a librarian i give books!! i love them and can't get enough. i jsut posted about "how to get your child to love reading" by esme codell. i am so in love with this book that i am buying it (and giving with food) for all my friends' second babies.

MKH76
09-13-2003, 01:59 PM
I have a 13 mo old and expecting our 2nd in mid-March. I have EVERYTHING...even diapers that he outgrew before we could use them, we packed up and saved in the closet. I know our little guy has blankets that he knows as specifically "his" so we will get the Bean (we try not to say "the new baby" LOL) some blankets. We are also planning on getting a new outfit for coming home from the hospital.
I think the gift of time and food are great...I know I'll be having a C-section. But I also think a little something personal that the Mom may not have thought to get or had the energy to shop for. Picture frames, photo albums are great thoughts too.