PDA

View Full Version : Help, We are staying with friends of vacation and I need to purchase gifts ...

tippy
09-12-2003, 01:51 AM
HI! I'm a new user on this site (although I've been a baby bargains fan since I was pregnant with my son ). I have a question I was hoping some of you could point me in the right direction with. My husband and I are going on vacation this sunday with our 8 month old little boy. We are going to Delaware (from NY)and stopping at the Jersey Shore for two nights on the way. We are staying with friend for both parts of our trip and my husband informed me tonight he wants me to pick up a gift for "all the kids". One couple has a 6 1/2 year old boy, a 3 1/2 year old girl and a 7 month old boy. The other couple has a 6/12 month old girl and a 4 1/2 year old boy. My first problem is that I don't have a lot of time! Secondly, we don't see these folks that often and they are really more my husbands friends so I'm not sure of sizes, preferrences etc... and third, I don't have an awful lot of $$$ to spend. Just wanted some suggestions from some of the "experienced folks" out there. Thanks so much in advance for any help.
AJ's Mom:o

bluej
09-12-2003, 04:54 AM
I'm sure the 6 1/2 year old boy and the 4 1/2 year old boy would love matchbox cars and they are cheap. Caden literally has probably more than a hundred cars and he's always thrilled to get a new one. Strawberry Shortcake dolls are in again and I think they are relatively inexpensive as well for the 3 1/2 year old girl. Books are also always good gifts for any age. Coloring books and new crayons are a big hit around here.

daisymommy
09-12-2003, 07:25 AM
What about a family gropu gift? Like a game everyone could play (except the baby I guess ;)). It would obviously have to be a more kiddy game, but then parents are already playing these type games wit their kids anyway. I usually give a food type gift when I stay with someone. I've given chocolate, nice popcorn bowl with speciality popcorn inside, etc. that they all could enjoy. Good luck, and Happy Travels!

August Mom
09-12-2003, 08:06 AM
Getting 1 gift per family for all the kids is a challenge because the ages are so disparate. The best I could come up with is balls. Kids of all ages like those. The Gertie ball is especially nice (and won't take up much room in the car because you blow it up with a straw). Those are $4-5 or so. Someone mentioned in another recent thread that you can get them at Zany Brainy. Gymboree clothing stores have a similar product.

If you wind up doing separate gifts, coloring books, stickers or Play Doh would be fun, inexpensive gifts for the older set or perhaps the cars mentioned above. And, for the younger ones, you could go with an FP classic toy like snap beads or teethers or board books. You might take a trip to TJ Maxx or Marshalls and see what's available for less.

Happy Travels!

dogmom
09-12-2003, 08:24 AM
.."he wants me to pick up a gift for "all the kids"

Uh, and he can't pick them up because?????? I know, because he's got no idea what to buy. I was just thinking about the inequitable distribution of Holiday shopping yesterday. I buy all the gifts except mine, and my DH buys mine.

I would second going to TJMAXX or Marshalls and buying some toys. You wold also just jump online and try to buy books for everyone. After all, these gifts aren't really for the kids, but the parents who are putting you up.

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03

Jen841
09-12-2003, 08:47 AM
Ralph's World CD's! My understanding is this would be good for all fo the ages you mentioned. I think he has 3 out now. They would be easy to pack, and my nieces and nephews (oldest is 5 1/2) LOVE Ralph.

If you don't do Ralph, what about a Disney movie or there is a Disney Song CD. Again, something that would be good for a variety of ages, and could be a "family." gift. The song CD my nieces and nephews listen to in the car all of the time. You will know the words to everything.

Books are always enjoyed and appreciated. I give Curious George books all the time. Our son's room is all Curious George, so he is a special little monkey to us. Marshalls and TJMaxx always have great books for great prices.

Happy Shopping!

bluej
09-12-2003, 08:50 AM
"After all, these gifts aren't really for the kids, but the parents who are putting you up."

Yeah, definitely don't get something that might annoy the parents!

amp
09-12-2003, 02:04 PM
I second the books idea. Love, love, love books! And then you can get them for different ages, but not have to shop all over the place!

jec2
09-12-2003, 04:01 PM
I seem to always buy as gifts for kids either books or art supplies--coloring books, pens, crayons, stickers--and kids seems to love them. Obviously the art supplies wouldn't work for the baby but a book would be wonderful.

tippy
09-13-2003, 12:40 AM
WOW! Thanks to everyone for all the great advise. I must say that I failed miserably in my endevors based on the feedback i received. Unfortunately I didn't have time to log on before heading out to the store this morning (not sure how early people posted their responses). I think the gifts are ok but i spent WAY TO MUCH $$$. For anyone interested, here's how NOT to shop for kids when visiting and not wanting to spend a lot of money....
Don't buy..A squeeze my left ear, I winny, clip-clop and snort horsey head on a stick for $13.00. (I got this for the 3 1/2 year old girl. It's a white stick with a pink horse head, purple glitter ears and nostrils and a pretty, sparkly mane) And as if that wasn't enough I also got her I'm A Big Sister, by Maxie Chambliss for 6.99. I guess one of them would have been sufficient.

A Clikits Cool Room Decor Kit by Lego for the 6 1/2 year old girl for 9.99.

A Spider-Man Activity Fun Set by Marvel for 9.99 for the 4 /2 year old boy(it comes with a paint with water book, coloring book with crayons, coloring book with paint, 2 coloring and activity books and one sticker book. I REALLY hope he likes spiderman!

For the 6 1/4 year old boy I purchased:

One 3D viewer by view master 5.99
2 3D view master reals (0ne Dinosaurs and one Disney's Atlantis the Lost Empire) for 3.49 each
and one view master storage case which holds 48 reels! for 5.49.

Last but not least I purchased for the 7 month old baby a lamaze infant developement system, peekaboo I see you soft book for 12.99

Ok, Ok, I told you all I failed miserably at the not spending a lot of money part of this. The hardest part of shopping for all these gifts for me was not knowing if the kids already have any of this stuff. With the selection I got, I feel relatively comfortable that they won't already have these things. That is one of the reasons I stayed away from movies, video games and trading cards and books.

I will make sure in the future I post my questions early enough to take advantage of all the great advise you all gave. That is if my husband doesn't wait until the umpteenth hour to assign me to a task like this. I know, I know, I could have insisted he get the gifts himself (especially since I had to drag my poor 8 month old to the store during my shopping frenzy), but I felt too sorry for the kids. They probably all would have ended up with gift certificate!!!! At least that is what his family has told me they used to get for every holiday, birthday etc.... before he met me and I started doing the shopping! Thanks again!

:D