PDA

View Full Version : OT: Space bags for storing clothes

houseof3boys
09-12-2003, 09:12 AM
Does anyone use these contraptions for storing clothes? I am so tired of buying those big Rubbermaid tubs for stuff. I am putting more of Ryan's clothes away and thought that the space bags might be a good idea. In researching thus far, some of the brands are total crap and are like garbage bags. The ones that had an infomercial on TV are also reputed (at least on epinions) to be ineffective. I remember seeing them on QVC or HSN a while ago and they seemed cool. Both sites have some pretty nice looking ones but thought I would post to see if anyone has used them before. I also like the different sizes they come in since I can separate his clothes by size in each bag.

Opinions?

August Mom
09-12-2003, 09:22 AM
I've used them. I bought mine at the Container Store. They do compact the items quite a bit. But, I would recommend against using the largest bag for clothes. It's designed for comforters and such, but I put all my maternity clothes in it. It worked, but I have a very large bag to store. The large size works well for DS's clothes. HTH

deborah_r
09-12-2003, 10:25 AM
I was about to buy them and a friend of mine said she used them and that they didn't stay compact. She said they got little holes in them easily and leak air.

Marisa6826
09-12-2003, 11:10 AM
I've only used them for blankets and comforters and they seem just fine.

The only downside to them is that if you want to take just one blanket out, you have to drag the vacuum out to suck all the air from the bag before you can put it away. Not fun in the middle of the night when all you wanted was a blanket because your feet were cold! :)

I bought mine at Bed Bath and Beyond, but I did also see them at the Container Store yesterday.

-m

pritchettzoo
09-12-2003, 11:42 AM
They are great for sweaters and polar fleecies! They have a set at Costco right now that looked like a good price. The last I got were a special at Linens N Things and then I used the 20% off coupon. I think I have seen them at Target too. You're right about the differing quality. I think the Today show did a review of these...I believe Space Bags are the non-crap ones.

Anna
#1(DD) EDD 9/10/03

jd11365
09-12-2003, 01:25 PM
I've used the ones that you just squish out the air and they worked great. Used them on a trip to Spain and was able to pack a ton of stuff in my suitcase because of them. And...we didn't need to use the vacuum which made them much more convenient.

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5/1/03

ginalc
09-12-2003, 01:28 PM
We have tried them and they are OK at first, but I've had some really bad luck with the zippers. Several of our bags are currently taped together with packing tape because the zippers have given out.

I've started to use the bags that comforters and bedding come in instead. They are also clear and items are easily identified, but the zippers are better.

I also use clear Rubbermaid/Sterilite containers with recipe cards taped to the sides. I write on the cards the contents and use clear packing tape to attach it to the container. (the packing tape doesn't leave residue when removed) I like the clear containers because you can still see (somewhat) what's inside, but the clothes/contents are protected from insects and the like.

HTH,

gina, mom to 3