PDA

View Full Version : Where did my baby go? And does my new baby actually expect me to know what to do???

jojo2324
09-13-2003, 12:20 AM
ACK! I am currently going through all of our crap in the basement, gearing up for a monster yard sale. I want to zen, have bare bones stuff kicking around. And I'm going through all of his baby clothes, trying to think back a year and how did he ever FIT into any of this stuff? Where has the time gone?

And then I'm going through the really itty bitty stuff and realizing that (gulp) I have another one on the way and I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO WITH HER. I am so used to my walking, rumble tumble boy that I am sure I am going to break her arm within the first hour home. (Though, given Gannon's disposition, he might take care of that.) What about all those little snorts and weird arm spasms? How am I supposed to dress her? What if I go overboard and spend a half million dollars in Gymboree? (I am trying soooooooooo hard to not look at that website, or Janie and Jack, or anything for that matter.)

And the real humdinger here? I've just remembered that in order to have my baby, I actually need to HAVE my baby, as in give birth. My pants are close to being soiled.

bluej
09-13-2003, 07:45 AM
The good news is that labor is usually easier and quicker the second time around. Plus since you've experienced it once already you know that it's not as bad as you imagined it and that as soon as it's over you forget about it relatively quickly. When you see how tiny she is you will know, oh that's right, I have to be delicate w/ this one. It just all kicks back in and you really will be able to go from tumbling on the floor w/ Gannon and rough housing w/ him to being delicate and quiet w/ the new one. And Gannon will model your behavior and actions w/ the baby. If you are really concerned about how he is going to be w/ the baby you could always get a doll and show him how careful he needs to be w/ the baby (then if he has any aggravations toward the baby he can take it out on the doll maybe?).

Now the bad news. You think you have a lot of clothes w/ Gannon? You will have twice as much w/ your daughter. Even if you are on your best behavior and don't buy the stuff yourself, all of your family and friends will. People just cannot resist buying girl clothes. And the hats that go w/ every outfit. And the matching socks. And the shoes. And the coordinating blankets. Your zen-like basement is soon to become even more overflowing!

Rachels
09-13-2003, 07:55 AM
Honey, I'M already picking out girl clothes for you! You're going to be clothes-swamped, there's no getting around it. As for giving birth, you know you can do it. You've done it. You don't have to think about it-- your body will take care of the details. But if you need some support, call me. I'll remind you that you're going to be very good at giving birth, and that you're a wonderful mother no matter what ages your children are. :)

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

ddmarsh
09-13-2003, 09:09 AM
Just remember you'll get a few good laughs along the way as well when you receive some of those girl clothes! Seriously, what is it about having a girl and people thinking you need to place things on their heads that make them look just ridiculous and outfits that have so much stuff hanging off of them that your baby looks like Liberace in full dress?

Remember the best thing about the difficulty of birth is that it soon fades from memory once you're holding that beautiful baby!

MartiesMom2B
09-13-2003, 09:40 AM
Joanne:

The good news is that having a girl means that you'll get a ton of clothes for gifts. When you shop for her there is so much of a better selection so you can get good deals on clothes.

When your little sweetheart comes out, you'll know just what to do. It'll just come naturally.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

pritchettzoo
09-13-2003, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the laugh!

You DO know what to do! You've guided (contained?;-)) Gannon through to this point! My Peanut could have already been here and I have no clue. I looked at my husband last night as I tripped over a pile of junk (half-cleaned-out closet remnants, completely un-zen-like) on the way to the bathroom and said, "We can't take care of ourselves; what are we going to do with a baby??" Well, it's too late now.

And you will spend too much in Gymboree, but keep the receipts and you can take it back when you hang it all up and realize you have gone completely bonkers.

I'm not looking forward to the birth thing either. Again, at least you have some idea as to how it will go... I'm still hoping for some last minute reprieve--some miracle 3rd option...

As for the soiled pants...remember that in the later stages of pregnancy, your pants are pretty much always soiled...;-)

Good luck obtaining basement zen status!

Anna
#1(DD) EDD 9/10/03

pritchettzoo
09-13-2003, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the laugh!

You DO know what to do! You've guided (contained?;-)) Gannon through to this point! My Peanut could have already been here and I have no clue. I looked at my husband last night as I tripped over a pile of junk (half-cleaned-out closet remnants, completely un-zen-like) on the way to the bathroom and said, "We can't take care of ourselves; what are we going to do with a baby??" Well, it's too late now.

And you will spend too much in Gymboree, but keep the receipts and you can take it back when you hang it all up and realize you have gone completely bonkers.

I'm not looking forward to the birth thing either. Again, at least you have some idea as to how it will go... I'm still hoping for some last minute reprieve--some miracle 3rd option...

As for the soiled pants...remember that in the later stages of pregnancy, your pants are pretty much always soiled...;-)

Good luck obtaining basement zen status!

Anna
#1(DD) EDD 9/10/03

mary b
09-13-2003, 04:07 PM
Hi Joanne, I couldn't agree with you more! I am sitting here waiting on DD #2, about to be induced on Monday and wondering how on earth I have gotten to DD's 2nd birthday! People keep asking me "are you ready for #2" and I am like, I am so ready to not be pregnant anymore but absolutely terrified about birth and bringing the baby home, even though I have already done this! The first couple months are such a complete blurr, I really hope friends/family are right that "it all comes back to you"...

I have had friends have newborns recently and I don't want to hold them for fear I will treat them like I treat a 2-year (who's disposition is frightenly similar to Gannon's!)...

So, let's both hang in there and hopefully your sense of humor will get us both through this!

Take care and know others are in your same boat!

Mary
Mom to Noelle 9/24/01 and #2 9/7/03

mary b
09-13-2003, 04:07 PM
Hi Joanne, I couldn't agree with you more! I am sitting here waiting on DD #2, about to be induced on Monday and wondering how on earth I have gotten to DD's 2nd birthday! People keep asking me "are you ready for #2" and I am like, I am so ready to not be pregnant anymore but absolutely terrified about birth and bringing the baby home, even though I have already done this! The first couple months are such a complete blurr, I really hope friends/family are right that "it all comes back to you"...

I have had friends have newborns recently and I don't want to hold them for fear I will treat them like I treat a 2-year (who's disposition is frightenly similar to Gannon's!)...

So, let's both hang in there and hopefully your sense of humor will get us both through this!

Take care and know others are in your same boat!

Mary
Mom to Noelle 9/24/01 and #2 9/7/03