PDA

View Full Version : first flight for baby

lilye13
09-13-2003, 11:08 AM
We are making our first trip on airplane with our then 2 month old- AZ to NY so he can meet the family but we are first time parents so have no clue what to bring, what not to bring etc. Any advice and tips would be most appreciated!!!!!
Thanks
elizabeth and jo
mommie and papa to nicholas 7/22/03

stillplayswithbarbies
09-13-2003, 11:55 AM
The most important thing to bring is the car seat. You can use it on the plane. If you have a stroller that takes the car seat, bring that. You can wheel the stroller right up to the gate, and then just as you are about to get on the plane, you fold up the stroller and they put it in the plane for you. They bring it back out for you when you land, so it is ready when you get off the plane.

Most airlines now charge half price for babies.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

flagger
09-13-2003, 12:48 PM
Make sure his wings are securely attached. ;)

My advice is to have your folks buy diapers, BUT make sure you over estimate the number of diapers you need for the travel days including the connections. If the plane is late, delayed or cancelled, you want to make sure you have extras hidden away just in case. They don't sell diapers that I know of in the airport. (We want THAT concession)

My next door neighbor just flew back two weeks ago from a wedding in CT and was delayed in Balitmore where her baby pooped and she was out of diapers. So she had to sit for three hours until she got home. :(

jd11365
09-13-2003, 08:49 PM
A jacket and some pants and long sleeved shirts for baby. Went to NY in June...thinking summer...hot weather...and forgot nights can get a little cool...especially now that we are in coming upon Fall, NY can get a bit cool. You tend to forget cool weather when living in Florida like us or Arizona like you. I do recommend buying diapers when you get there or have your family pick some up for you...less stuff to carry. An inflatable bathtub (packs so nicely) might be helpful if you are going for a while...Nicholas probably won't be comfortable doing the sink thing so young. You DON'T need a Pack n Play this young. They only use the bassinet part anyway at that age and it's rediculous, IMOH, to schlep the whole thing across the country. You can definitely do something makeshift or ask if family can borrow something from friends or other family members ahead of time...everyone usually has something or connections to something like this. The baby will probably sleep on the plane...they usually do that young...at least mine did. Much easier to travel with a newborn than an older baby or toddler that wants so move around. Otherwise, normal essentials that you would use daily..and you are good to go!

Remember, you are not going to Somalia...you are going to NY. If you need something, there is a store around every corner!

Have a great time!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5/1/03

jbeamer
09-14-2003, 10:54 AM
I flew with my DD at 3months from CO to NY. I had her carseat and stroller, went right up to the gate. My connection had a two hour layover so the stroller was nice. I bought diapers/wipes when I got there, saved room in the suitcase. My mom had borrowed a bouncy seat and bassinett from a friend so I didn't have to bring those. For the plane I dressed DD in layers so if was cold or hot I could adjust. Brought an extra onsie and coverall incase of a diaper leak. I also had a paci and a bottle for take off incase her ears popped. Never had a problem though. DD slept most of the way. On our last trip (5months) I just put her in the Bjorn and checked the carseat/stroller. You can only use the carseat on the plane if there is an empty seat. Never had an opportunity. Hope this helps! Have a great vacation!

stillplayswithbarbies
09-14-2003, 12:24 PM
If you ask the flight attendant, they sometimes have diapers on board. I know that British Air used to give out a baby pack that had a paper changing pad and a few diapers and wipes in it.

I think if I was in that situation, I would ask other parents if they had an extra diaper. Something about take off makes my baby poop every time we are in a plane.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

mharling
09-14-2003, 09:17 PM
>You can only use the carseat on the plane if there is an empty seat.

You didn't mention if you bought a seat for your baby or not. If you did, you can use the carseat. I believe it needs to be in a window seat.

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b32e1840e40d - New 9/8

lilye13
09-14-2003, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the all the help. When we booked our tix the agent was really helpful and said that if the flight wasn't full they would let us take him on in his car seat.If not they will take both the stroller and car seat there and then we won't have to check the seat as one of our pieces of luggage. We are not sure if we will take ours or borrow once we get to the city. Nicholas has mixed feeling about his car seat at this point, freaked out yesterday after a day out and about in it. I never ever thought about the diaper dilemma. Yeah- where in a airport could you get some....interesting ...I'm still trying to think how many since the flight is 4 1/2 + hours plus the extra time in car to ( and from) and then the airport time. Jeesh we need a whole carry on just for diapers and possible changes of clothes!!! Did I mention that the day before we leave he will be going to the doctor for his two month shots. ugh. They wouldn't let me change it to earlier.......hopefully he'll sleep but right now he's not much of a day sleeper.

kransden
09-15-2003, 08:09 AM
I would seriously try to move your shots to a week later. He will already have enough problems with the cold germs in the air on the plane without the extra problems of shots.
One thing I always bring for my little flyer is gas drops. I give them to her right before we board. Katie is very gassy though.
She always seems to have a bm right before we land.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

Jen841
09-15-2003, 09:13 AM
We flew the day after Jude's 2 mo. shots. Bring Tylenol just in case!

Also, have an extra bottle or two with you just in case you need it.

I was all set to feed going up and down. Both ways I breastfeed going up, and he was asleep going down. It was interesting having the middle seat between 2 business men and breastfeeding, but I did it. It was a personal accomplishment for me!

Go easy on packing the toys. Bring a favorite or two. Babies are so entertained by everything else that toys become extra baggage.

We had a few more changes of clothing than what we normally use, and it was appreciated. Jude's poops got pretty messy with the traveling, so it was going to have a few spare outfits.

Jen841
09-15-2003, 09:14 AM
Don't forget your Halo Sleep Sac if you use them. It will be colder in NY so you may need warmer sleepwear.