PDA

View Full Version : Child proof fan

suribear
09-14-2003, 11:26 PM
Our ceiling fan fell down!! It was installed by the previous owners. Long story short, it came down when dh was trying to figure out why it was wobbling! Thank goodness it didn't come down on the kids..

We have a fairly low ceiling in our family room, so I have always been nervous of it anyway.

What are our options now? Either low profile ceiling fan (which I think we had before, but this time installed properly) or a child proof stand fan??? (With fine wire mesh, tip proof) Has anyone used those narrow tower fans? We saw one in the store but we felt the kids could fit their fingers through the back.

Would appreciate any feedback. We don't have A/C and we're going through a heatwave. ugh.

Kris

jd11365
09-15-2003, 12:10 AM
We have ceiling fans all over the house...I've actually helped DH install them...I can't imagine how, if installed properly this could happen. I say get another...low profile...we have one in the nursery. There are ones at Home Depot that snap together in minutes. They have a lifetime warranty...we've actually exchanged one twice for a wobble, but it was never in jeopardy of falling, just off balance. If you install it properly I just can't see how it could fall. Personally, I'd be more nervous about a standing fan with the kids.

Good luck!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5/1/03

suribear
09-15-2003, 12:41 AM
I'm definitely leaning towards a ceiling fan. I want to get it installed properly as I'm still shaking from this incident :(

But the other thing I'm nervous about is that if someone grabs the baby off the floor and swings him up, they could well hit the fan. Now it's unlikely to happen, but it's possible. The ceiling must be around 8 feet tall.

A friend of ours (who is around 6 ft., maybe more) almost fit the fan the other day!!

Kris

pritchettzoo
09-15-2003, 09:00 AM
Our low-profile fans are less than a foot tall (without light fixture!), so your 6 ft friend should be okay. If you need the light fixture attachment or are otherwise still worried about the height problem, can you put a table underneath? I had a dining room once that had an off-center chandelier and made the mistake of not putting the table under it. After getting whacked in the head several times, I moved the table regardless of how stupid it looked. Other furniture would work too...

Anna
#1(DD) EDD 9/10/03