PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! 33 Weeks Pregnant and having a "Big" Birthday!

eaj7889
09-15-2003, 09:33 AM
I need some serious help here! I've been feeling a bit depressed lately and now to top it off....I'm turning 30 and my husband has BIG plans! I'm so stressed here...He won't tell me anything, but I have a feeling he is flying in some friends from home for a big surprise! He will only tell me one thing...that I need to dress up that night because we are going to D.C. for a very nice dinner! He only told me because I asked some questions. WHAT!! A pregnant woman "dress up"! Oh boy....so I need to find a dress quick! I've been searching for a dress for a wedding and have completely struck out! So, that makes this that much more stressful! I'm a petite woman and at 33 weeks I've gained 17 pounds. Everything I try on swims on me and makes me look twice as big as I truly am.... i.e. depressing! Does anyone have any ideas where I can find something to wear that would fit....FAST? It can be online or in the D.C. area! I want to look nice and really enjoy the night! Thanks for your help!

mama2be
09-15-2003, 09:38 AM
My mind is racing to where I think he is taking you...but I best not say :)...

I want to put you mind at ease so you will relax and enjoy your birthiday...but imagine yourself at a dear friends birthday party and she was 33 weeks pregnant you wouldn't go judging her appearance you'd be glowing over her celelbration and the baby to be...so be comforted that your friends are not expecting you or wanting you to stress over your attire.

This sounds like a wonderful time!!!! last winter I wore a lot of that stretchy cordoroy look. It hugged the body but also the black let it look formal if a great accessory was used with it.

How about a simple black skirt and a white maternity top...add pearls, faux pearls or even a scarf around your neck that will "jazz" you up well.

Have fun, it sounds like he is a wonderful DH!!!

nitaghei
09-15-2003, 09:42 AM
If you can afford it, check out A Pea in the Pod. They have very nice dressy clothes. I got a beautiful silk outfit (pants and shirt) from them, and it was the most flattering maternity thing I owned. I'm petite too, so I share that pain!! They have great bargains online, and they do have 2 stores in No.Va. - Pentagon City and Tysons II.

Would something like this work?

http://apeainthepod.com/Product.asp?Product_ID=79369004

Good luck!! And have a fun birthday.

Nita

Rachels
09-15-2003, 09:52 AM
Just wanted to say happy birthday! The 30s are fun. I knocked myself out working in my 20s, and am now getting to enjoy what I worked so hard for. Being in one's 30s is highly underrated. Enjoy yourself!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

amp
09-15-2003, 11:05 AM
I don't know if it will help or even mean anything to you if you are really bummed about this, but I just wanted to tell you to have a GREAT 30th birthday. I love my 30's (I'm 34 right now), because they've been filled with my husband and my new son, the two biggest blessings of my life! Also, enjoy your beautifully pregnant body! It's big because you are supporting and nurturing a life in there. I know you might feel huge, but trust me, there is little that is more incredible than that miracle! Have a great birthday!

houseof3boys
09-15-2003, 11:28 AM
Don't stress it will be fine. Being thirty is a walk in the park (I'm a "new" 34) and you should be enjoying this time. You are certainly not huge with only gaining 17 pounds either!

It is hard to find stuff but I would stick with something basic like black (I can't help it..3/4 of my clothes are black) and then jazz it up with jewelry as Neve said.

I got a simple jersey gap maternity dress in black and wore it to a wedding. I felt huge in it since it was a little big on me but got tons of compliments on how radiant and happy I looked (of course I was, I was pregnant). A little lipstick and a good hair day made all the difference! So put on your shopping hat and start looking for something that is your style so you feel comfy in it and enjoy your 30th birthday! :)

Is this your style at all? You could get XXS since gap runs big

http://www.gap.com/asp/Product.asp?wdid=902510&wpid=205277

nohomama
09-15-2003, 12:27 PM
I'd tell you to look at www.babystyle.com. They have a number of dresses and separates that I think are appropriate for an evening on the town. Their styles are simple and elegant and their maternity line runs small according to many. And don't forget to check out their outlet page too--they've got some very nice dresses for cheap or relatively cheap.

As for the big 30, enjoy it!!! Like Rachel said, the thirties are highly underated.

starrynight
09-15-2003, 01:04 PM
Happy Birthday!! And just enjoy yourself I'm sure you will look great :).

lukkykatt
09-15-2003, 01:50 PM
How about going to Mimi Maternity? I got alot of stuff from there when pg. They tend to have alot in stretchy material, so you will only look big in your belly.

I know how hard it is - I had to go to DH's work Christmas party just a few weeks before I delivered. And I was meeting these people for the first time! I went to about 7 stores!

At least you will be with your friends. So relax and have FUN! Happy Birthday!

dogmom
09-15-2003, 01:59 PM
I had about 3 long black skirts I got at various places and would buy different tops to go with them. For a big dress up thing I wore a black skirt, nice pearls, and bought a long jacket in a nice brocade. It was one of those things only meant as decoration and not warmth. You could always get a nice wrap, or shawl, or something, you don't have to shop in a maternity store for that. I counted on my pregnancy "glow" to get me through all occasions.

Oh, and wear low heels or flats.

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03

sweetbasil
09-15-2003, 02:19 PM
I got a great maternity dress on babystyle.com for Valentine's Day and loved it...it's not there now, but like Sarah said, they've got several really nice things to choose from.

Enjoy your party, the wedding, your thirties, and your pregnancy. What a special time!

parkersmama
09-15-2003, 03:55 PM
How about this top and the matching pants from Lands' End maternity? http://www.landsend.com/cd/fp/prod/0,,1_2_1930_40884_69962_48409_5:view=-1,00.html?sid=2684095023876158130

I had the tunic top (it was winter), pants, and skirt in black when I was pregnant and they were great! They fit nicely (but were adjustable) and could be dressed up or down with jewelry, scarves, shoes, etc., to suit just about any occasion that came along. Simple and classic is the best way to go when you're pregnant and trying to dress up! Plus, black is slimming!! :-)

I agree with everyone else...the 30s are terrific! I feel like I found my true self in my 30s and gained a lot of confidence in who I am. It's a great time because you've got some maturity but yet you're still young and vibrant! Have a terrific birthday!!

jojo2324
09-15-2003, 04:46 PM
Have you heard of the store Calypso? It's all island/tropical wear, and one of their big items is a bustle skirt. They make them in silk and cotton/linen, and the great thing is they're all one size, so you can wear it after PG too! If you are on the smallish side, it would probably work really well; you could just sling it under your belly, pair it with a sleeveless top and nice jacket or sweater.

The store isn't cheap, but it's probably on par with A Pea in the Pod. They have them all over the country, NYC, LA, Boston, so maybe they have on in DC? I am searching in vain for a picture, but am coming up with nothing. :(

KMommie
09-15-2003, 05:23 PM
First of all, Happy Birthday! I remember 30 well... and I can tell you, for me, 26-30 were the hardest but after that, it's been a cakewalk! :)

Dressing up...well I love Japanese Weekend. They have some nice dresses and separates. They also have petite sizes! If it isn't "dressy" enough...you can dress up their basic black dress and it would be functional for you to wear again. Their clothes are so comfortable and soft! The styles are more form fitting and less tentlike, so that should help with the petite factor.

HTH,

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

lizajane
09-15-2003, 07:02 PM
JANPANESE WEEKEND!!!

they have great stretchy black dresses that will hug you and your pretty, petite belly. i wore mine at 6 months and it was SUPER and it also still fit at the 8th and 9th month. i would loan you mine if i hadn't already loaned it out!!!