PDA

View Full Version : Were you at Potomac Mills Mall in Virginia yesterday?

daisymommy
09-16-2003, 12:08 PM
I was shopping at Potomac Mills Mall yesterday (Monday) and saw a mom there with her baby in a terra cotta Ergo carrier, pushing her Pliko. Trust me when I saw, that stands out like a diamond in the rough around here. This is the land of Snugli's and Graco's. When I wear Josh in a sling I practically create an accident with every body stopping to stare, wondering what "that fabric thing is" :). So I know she had to be from out of town, OR one of us! How else do you hear about such great stuff? I alsmost stopped the lady to ask if she was from the BB Boards, but felt too silly ;). So, was it one of you?

cinrein
09-16-2003, 03:15 PM
LOL, it wasn't me! If you ever see a brunette sporting a red cotton Zolo, that is me! I have yet to see another ring sling in these here parts.

Cindy\r\nMama to Anna 2/11/03

lizajane
09-16-2003, 03:54 PM
seriously... where are we all? why don't i ever see other people wearing slings? if there are so many of us... where are we? i guess i use my bjorn and my backpack just as much as i use my sling. so maybe everyone else in raleigh does, too.

Calmegja
09-16-2003, 04:13 PM
I've been asked if my sling was a religious garment before.

That's about as often as you see them around where I am. ;-)

I think I would fall over in shock if I saw another Ergo.

kfcboston
09-17-2003, 08:38 AM
Too funny! All I have is a boring khaki corduroy hotsling, and I inevitably get looks and positive comments/inquiries every time I'm out wearing DS in it! I guess we're starting a revolution from the grassroots.

egoldber
09-17-2003, 08:57 AM
LOL! You should have seen the looks I got at the Costco in Fairfax the other day when Sarah was sleeping in my pouch sling! :) But I have to say that most other moms looked really envious.

cinrein
09-17-2003, 09:47 AM
Beth,
Were you at that Costco that is near the Home Depot with the stupidest parking lot ever designed? That is close to my house. I live in the Fair Lakes area, right off Stringfellow. I noticed on another post a few days back you were debating getting an Ergo carrier. You are welcome to borrow mine for a while and see if you like it. I bought it only because it was on sale and have no plans on using it regularly until Anna is older. Right now she is just 7 mos, so the Zolo works well for us. Anyway, you are welcome to try before you buy.

Cindy\r\nMama to Anna 2/11/03

MartiesMom2B
09-17-2003, 09:56 AM
We should come up with a secret question and password so we can identify each other. LOL.

I really need to get around to getting a sling as a hip carrier. I really would like to carry Martie around more and the snugli ain't cutting it.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

egoldber
09-17-2003, 12:38 PM
Yes, the Fair Lakes Costco is "my" Costco! We're out in the Fair Lakes area all the time, practically every other day. I live close to highway 50 and Nutley, between Fairfax City and Vienna.

I would LOVE to borrow your Ergo! Or at least try it on to see how well it works! Are you going to the DC area get together?

cinrein
09-17-2003, 01:10 PM
Yes, I'm planning on going to the get together. You can borrow it then. Or if you'd like to try it for a while to see if you can get the hang of using it by yourself, you are welcome to borrow it earlier and return it at the get together.

Unfortunately, I can't be of any help as far as tips on using it. I only wore it twice to make sure it was comfortable (it was) and both times dh put Anna in.

McQ
09-17-2003, 01:35 PM
Hope this doesn't sound stupid but I'm having a hard time picturing a 2 year old in a carrier. I think the weight alone would cripple me. Beth ~ you'll have to model this for us at the get together.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03

egoldber
09-17-2003, 04:21 PM
Carrying her in the carrier is easy. It's carrying her if I DON'T have a carrier that's hard, LOL!!! :)

cara1
09-18-2003, 08:43 AM
Really? I stopped using the Baby Bjorn at 6 months, and haven't felt the need for a carrier at all ever since. Is Sarah less wiggly when she's in there?

Calmegja
09-18-2003, 09:13 AM
I'm with Beth. If I don't have a carrier, it's crazy time when we're out......it makes me nervous...

Before I went sling crazy, I had a frame backpack that I always used as crowd control when we were out.....

egoldber
09-18-2003, 09:44 AM
She's occasionally wiggly in the sling, but not usually. She really likes being carried in the sling. And lately she won't stay in either the stroller or the shopping cart for any length of time, so I ALWAYS end up carrying her at some point when we are out shopping. And now that she is almost 30 pounds, without the sling, it would be impossible. I can't let her run around uncontrolled in Costco (well, I guess I could....). I LOVE my pouch sling because I roll it up to nothing and it just slips in my diaper bag, purse, or even pocket.

cara1
09-18-2003, 12:50 PM
and it really is easier than just carrying her on your hip? I still just can't picture it...

Calmegja
09-18-2003, 01:02 PM
Not Beth, but yes, much easier. It distributes the weight better, and you can carry a child for longer periods of time. Properly slung or carried, the child is closer to your center of gravity, so you don't get as much of the achiness in your back, hip, or shoulder, as you would from carrying a child without assistance.

I don't do it as often, but I do sling my 3 year old (39 inches, 36 pounds) occasionally when she's sleepy or sick of walking, and it is a million times easier than carrying her in just my arms.

On some of the sling/carrier websites, they've got pictures of older children being carried, as well as infants and toddlers.

egoldber
09-18-2003, 01:54 PM
Oh MUCH easier than carrying her in my arms! And when she's in the sling, I have two hands free!

Look here: http://www.hotslings.com/babywearing.html

McQ
09-18-2003, 04:09 PM
Beth ~ what are you doing on the boards! I thought you were on vacation! Or are you grounded with this weather we're having. I can tell you that I wouldn't want to be at home waiting out a hurricane with my MIL :)

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03

egoldber
09-18-2003, 04:43 PM
Oh no, NEXT week! :)