PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Baby Name Question

sbaker
09-16-2003, 11:06 PM
What do y'all think about Chase as a girl's name? She would probably be Chase Elizabeth. Normally, I wouldn't even consider a name that rhymes with DS's name, BUT since DH is actually making the suggestion I feel I must give it thought. I think I actually like the name. I know that if I were calling both kids at the same time "Rayce and Chase" would sound more than a little hokey. But, on the other hand, it very easy to say. Am I nuts to even consider this? What do y'all think? If you hate it can you give my other boyish girl name suggestions? I'm open to ideas for other girlie middle names to go with Chase, too.
Thanks!

Just my two cents...
:) :+ :)
Sara
Mom to Rayce 02/09/02
Baby #2 due 01/05/04

cara1
09-17-2003, 07:45 AM
Um, yes, I think you'd be nuts to think about it. There's the rhyming thing, and then the fact that everyone would be chasing Chase. Boyish girl names? Sam for Samantha. Jordan/Jordyn Sydney Alex for Alexandra Bobbi

momathome
09-17-2003, 07:54 AM
Chase is cute - I like it with Elizabeth. It's hard to tell if it would become annoying to have rhyming names - the kids might not be overly happy with that as they become older. Other cute boyish names for girls are Jordan, Avery, Casey, Jamie, Ryann, Kyle, Tyler, Joelly, Dylan, Aidan, Bailey, Eliot, Emerson, Reilly, Skylar, Spencer, and Taylor. Good luck - I had to fight dh to get the name Kasey for my dd - he thought it sounded too boyish - now, he loves it!
-Lauren

jojo2324
09-17-2003, 08:26 AM
I know a little girl named Chase, and she is quite adorable. But her brother's name is Max, so they don't have to deal with the rhyming thing. But I do like the name, especially with Elizabeth.

lizajane
09-17-2003, 09:21 AM
i love it! i love a "boy" name for a girl.

i LOVE the name tyler but didn't want to have rhyming children, so i did intentionally name my dog tyler, knowing that i would have a child named schuyler. because even if you shorten- you get ty and schuy. (yes, that is like "skyler." i just use the original spelling.)

i am really into dylan or dillon for a girl these days. i have a family girl name picked out for #2 if we have a girl someday. but i would seriously consider dillion if i didn't. i know a female kyle who is TOO cute.

i have a friend who is elizabeth but goes by eli. (e-lie, not ellie) i LOVE that idea. and you already have elizabeth in the running.

rhyming kids' names is not for me, but if it doesn't bother you- then go with it, if it is your first choice!

starrynight
09-17-2003, 09:46 AM
I like the name but not the rhyming thing. But if that doesn't bother you or your dh personally then it doesn't really matter.

houseof3boys
09-17-2003, 10:03 AM
I love the name Chase for a girl. I think unisex type names are hipper/cooler than girly girl names. The rhyming thing doesn't bother me that much. As far as a middle name, I think it really depends on your last name. I am big on initials so I tend to go for the vowel beginning middle names (like Elizabth)or...

Chase Amanda
Chase Ashleigh
Chase Aubrey
Chase Alexendra
Chase Evan
Chase Emily
Chase Alanna
Chase Isabella

bluej
09-17-2003, 10:20 AM
I love the name Chase for a girl and I won't comment on the rhyming thing since I have a Caden and Ryden (don't rhyme, but are similiar). Everyone gave great suggestions for names, I'll just add in Quinn.

masblooms
09-17-2003, 10:31 AM
I think you should name your baby whatever your heart tells you too.

Not to hurt your feelings, but I just don't understand why people choose boy names for girls and think it's cool. There are so many great girl names, and I really believe that it sends the wrong message to girls. Like being a boy is better than being a girl. It just doesn't seem empowering to me. Woman have fought for equal rights for a long time, and to me the current trend of choosing boy names for girls sets things back a long way. And it would look pretty silly if we stating seeing boys named Rebecca or Emily.

I also don't really like rhyming names, because I think it takes something away from the uniqueness of each child's own name.

Again, I don't mean to hurt your feelings, and obviously there are a lot of people here who don't agree with me. I just wanted to give you the other side of it for your consideration.

stillplayswithbarbies
09-17-2003, 11:49 AM
I love boy names for girls, and I love the middle name Elizabeth! (see my sig). But. . . how would you feel out at the park some day yelling "Chase and Rayce"? That is the ultimate test, go to the park and yell it out loud. :)

To me, Chase Elizabeth does not flow, because when you say them together, it sounds mushed up and there is no clear boundry between the end of Chase and the beginning of Elizabeth. I do think that the masculine first names need a really girly middle name to balance them out. How about Chase Victoria?

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

stillplayswithbarbies
09-17-2003, 11:51 AM
Not to hurt your feelings, but I just don't understand why you think that giving a girl a traditional boy name is sending a message that being a boy is better?

Did you know that many "girl" names started out as boy names? Shirley, for one. Now doesn't that sound feminine?

The name doesn't shape the person, the person shapes the name.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Tondi G
09-17-2003, 12:08 PM
I know a set of twin girls named Chase and Chandler!!!! They are beautiful girls so I love the name!!!!! I think Chase Elizabeth is cute..... I wouldn't worry about the rhyming.... if you and DH like it.... go for it! I wish my DH would have some input more than just shooting down names I suggest!!!!! LOL

Good luck
~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01

jec2
09-17-2003, 12:13 PM
I think Chase is great for a girl. I really do like it. I don't know about the ryhming with your son, perhaps something to consider some more. My DH and I play baby names in the car! It sounds silly, but we pretend the baby is back there and start talking to it with the names we are considering. Maybe this game would work for you!

Middle names? I have no ideas. I am stuck on short middle names since that is what we need but think a short name like Chase needs a longer middle name.

jeneli
09-17-2003, 12:18 PM
I think Chase is cute for a girls name and it goes well with Elizabeth for a middle name. That said, I personally would avoid sibling names that rhyme since I agree that it would be hokey/confusing. What about Mason for a girl? You'd still have the "ayce" sound in there, but the extra syllable at the end would make it different enough. Mason Elizabeth would be adorable.

lukkykatt
09-17-2003, 01:41 PM
I really like the name Chase for a boy or a girl - I think it is very cute.

In your particular case though, I am not sure that I would use it. I would not want two names that rhyme. Also, because they are both "action" words, it would sound like you are having some kind of game when you yell them out - with alot of chasing and racing going on! Names are very personal though - and you just have to go with how you feel about it.

Other names I like for both boys or girls are: Peyton, Riley, Casey, Avery, Taylor and Mason. Some of these have the strong "A" that you might like, without actually rhyming. Or how about Chase as a middle name?

luvbeinmama
09-17-2003, 06:19 PM
JMHO, but I have to vote against that one. I have heard too many complaints from women with boys names that they always have to fight being called "Mr.", and vice versa for the boys. I have to agree with the poster who said she likes girls names for girls and boys names for boys. If the girls keep stealing all the boys names, it gets harder and harder to name the boys (who wants to name a boy a girls name???) because the names BECOME girl names.

Besides all that, it almost seems as if you'd be naming them what they do (Rayce races around, while Chase chases him). I don't know, it did just sound a bit hokey to me. Personally I'd go with something else.

sbaker
09-17-2003, 10:52 PM
FWIW, Rayce is named after my great-grandfather Rayce Anderson. Not because he races around.

Just my two cents...
:) :+ :)
Sara
Mom to Rayce 02/09/02
Baby #2 due 01/05/04

luvbeinmama
09-18-2003, 03:02 AM
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that he was named for that reason! LOL! I did remember that he was named after a relative, and I think Rayce is a great name. It was just what popped into my head when I read "Rayce and Chase". :)

lizajane
09-18-2003, 10:30 AM
i agree with karen.

i think it sends the RIGHT message- that gender doesn't have to define what we are called, who we are, what we do, what we like, who we love...

i like that schuyler, while traditionally a man's name, is used for girls. i hope my schuyler meets other female schuylers (it is my middle name) so that he can see that boy and girls can "have" the same "stuff."

just like if schuyler wants to play with dolls, i am not going to stop him by saying they are "for girls."

JustMare
09-18-2003, 07:58 PM
OMG, I just mentioned the name Chase to DH last night!!! I was referring to a boy, but regardless I still love the name!!!

I've seen a designer on "While You Were Out" named Chayse Dakoda. I think for a girl I prefer the different spelling.

I also agree that it doesn't matter if it rhymes with Rayce. I think they sound adorable together!

heidi_timms
09-18-2003, 08:37 PM
DH's name is Jamie and we do get a lot of telemarketers asking for MRS. Jamie Timms. Just a thought...

I really like Chayse though...

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

mom2kandj
09-19-2003, 02:15 AM
I still like Rhayne, but here's a new one...what about ZANE? Still has a strong A sound and goes well with Elizabeth. Similar, but not the same! (This is like a contest now and I WANT TO WIN!!! LOL!)

Rose
mom 2 katie (33 months)
& Jack (16 months)

masblooms
09-19-2003, 08:55 PM
I was just giving my opinion. Whatever you name your child, there will be some people who like it and some people who don't. I know that there have been other names that started out as boy names and have moved to more mainstream, but that might not happen to a more trendy name for 20 years, if at all.

Someone mentioned that they liked giving very femine middle names to girls with a "boy's" first name, but that only works if you are calling the child by both names all the time.

masblooms
09-19-2003, 09:05 PM
I'd don't mean to be on a high-horse here, but I wanted to add one more thing. I do agree that in a perfect world, a name wouldn't define who you are. But....I have a 12 year old and an 8 year old. Kids are MEAN. You wouldn't believe the stories I have heard going on at school, or the things my own children have been teased about. My daughter was teased a lot last year in second grade (for looking like a boy) because she prefers to wear nice (hannah anderson) t-shirts and bike shorts to school instead of tight, frilly stuff.

Just be certain that it won't bother you if the most popular kid in the class is a boy with the same name, and your daughter ends up getting teased. No matter how much love you pour into a child, a 7 or 8 year's ego can be kind of fragile.

parkersmama
09-19-2003, 11:17 PM
Although I really like the name Chase, I think I would avoid it in your situation. The rhyming thing would drive me nuts! Walker is a family name for us but after having Parker I just couldn't bear having a Walker as well. Similar jokes to Rayce & Chase, you know...Walk her (Walker) over here and Park her (Parker) there. Just too rhyme-y and similar to each other.

Another twist on the boy names for a girl thing: I have always loved boy names for girls but after naming our first Parker (a boy named for my maiden name) I started noticing that there were lots of girls being named Parker. After that, it dawned on me that if we had a girl with a boyish name, people would always be asking who was a boy and who was a girl. I don't think that this is in any way damaging to the girl with a boyish name but I was worried that it might be damaging to Parker for people to be asking all the time if he was a girl. Does that make sense? It seems like most folks these days are pretty open-minded about girls taking on boyish names, roles, etc., but boys still often get teased if they have any girlish things about them (enjoy dolls, have a girl-possible name, etc). After going through all the senarios, we decided that for us it was best to use a girly name for our daughter to be sure that she was differentiated from the boys. I know that this is probably over-thinking the whole thing but I feel that names are an important part of every person's psyche and parents should think carefully before choosing a name (which you obviously are!!).

Boyish girl names that I like: Ryan, Kyle, Avery, Emory, and (don't kill me, Neve!) Tristan. There is a family at church with two girls: Trinity and Tristan...they are adorable. The mom told me the other day that they didn't realize that Tristan is normally a boy name when they chose it. She sounded very matter-of-fact about it when I asked as though they'd been asked a thousand times. :-)

Good luck choosing a name Sara! It's hard but fun!!