PDA

View Full Version : question for parents who co-sleep

mommyj
09-17-2003, 04:02 PM
Even though I bought a co-sleeper, ds is in bed with us 99.9% of the time. I'm curious to know what kind of sleeping arrangements those of you who co-sleep have (i.e. size of bed, whether or not you have a bed frame, etc.). I know I've read some old threads about this, but I'm wondering what we should do once ds starts rolling over.
We have a queen size bed, which is plenty big, but I'm worried about our headboard. Also, should we buy a crib if we plan to continue co-sleeping for a while?
I would appreciate hearing about your sleeping arrangements and any thoughts or suggestions you might have.
TIA!

Calmegja
09-17-2003, 05:00 PM
King size bed, kid mattress on the floor for when they get older, and are transitioningout of our bed... We did put our bed frame (the pretty wrought iron thingamajog) in storage for the duration. OUr crib is also now in storage. I kept it out and prettied up for our first three kids, but this time, I just gave up and admitted that the child probably wasn't going to see the inside of it... ;-)

True story....When we had our first two kids, we had a queen bed, and we couldn't get our then almost 2 year old out of bed, onto our transitional mattress, as the birth of our third child approached.

So we put our queen size bed in his room, bought the king, and he never came into our room again.

It was just nigh impossible to get the comforter cover in the nursery print that went with his room! ;-)

Rachels
09-17-2003, 06:30 PM
We have the same setup-- king bed, mattress and boxspring on the floor, crib mattress between our bed and the wall on the floor. Abigail naps really well there and starts her nights there as well. She comes in with us when she's ready and will spend more nights on her little bed when she's ready for that, too. It works really well.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

deborah_r
09-17-2003, 08:17 PM
Jessica,

This begs the question: when did you find time to conceive these children??? :) You guys must have been determined!!!

(Hope that's not too personal of me, I am just amazed. There's nothing going on in our house that could result in a baby, and we're both too tired to care!)

deborah_r
09-17-2003, 09:22 PM
We have a king size bed and no bedframe (just the metal frame that same with the mattresses). I do need to come up with something next to the bed in case he rolls off.

lisams
09-17-2003, 10:19 PM
We have a king size bed and are going to get rid of the frame soon. We do not have a headboard, just put the mattress up against the wall. DD sleeps in her crib for the first 1-2 hours at night and we bring her into bed with us when she wakes up for the rest of the night. I like this because it gives us some quiet time together. DD also takes her naps during the day in her crib.

Lisa

lizamann
09-17-2003, 10:41 PM
We have a queen size bed with an under-used co-sleeper as well. I've lately been trying to put Nora down in her crib at night (in a different room) to buy us some of that quiet time together. Sometimes it works, most of the time not. She spends most of her time in our bed. No head or foot board. I am trying to talk dh into putting the mattress on the floor, but he isn't buying it. So I"m really not that happy because our current arrangement doesn't follow official co-sleeping guidelines. I'm not at all worried about her rolling off while we're there (and she does roll over, but never in her sleep so far), but I am too nervous to let her nap there alone.

Calmegja
09-18-2003, 08:30 AM
Deb...

I'm sitting here laughing, because you aren't the first person to say that!

Two reasons....one, you should see my husband (too much information, I know), and two, there are other rooms in the house for fooling around....... ;-)

jmofarrill
09-18-2003, 11:39 AM
Dd is in our queen-sized bed all night with us. I also still have the headboard attached. The space is kind of tight b/c I haven't lost all my pg weight (only 10 lbs more to go!), and dh I think gained with me lb. for lb. (and he hasn't lost any weight). So b/c of space and b/c dd has begun rolling from side-to-side (can't get on or off her tummy yet), we are rearranging the room to bring her crib in to our bedroom. If that doesn't work, I'll experiment with taking the mattress out of the crib and putting it on the floor.