PDA

View Full Version : Sleep question...

deborah_r
09-19-2003, 12:57 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions for a 4 month old who will only nap on his back for 20-40 minutes, but on his tummy for 3+ hours? Also, in the carseat he will nap for 2-3 hours (we went for a walk around 9 and he is still sleeping in the carseat - it's almost 11am now)

At night we co-sleep and he mostly sleeps on his side. I try to put him on his back and he eventually rolls over toward me.

I really am not comfortable with the tummy sleeping, but I wonder if maybe he has some kind of discomfort when he lies flat on his back?

flagger
09-19-2003, 01:12 PM
It could be that laying on his tummy feels better to him. Ask your ped, but what mine said was if you are able to keep an eye on him during the day then tummy sleeping is ok.

He also stated that the beds that most babies sleep on are much less forgiving and harder than the ones in the original study that led to the back to sleep campaign. He really places a good amount of emphasis on the power of sleep.

peanut4us
09-19-2003, 01:58 PM
So, Deborah, is Kai rolling over then? We were told by our ped that if she can roll over and ends up on her tummy, we could leave her there. And we have and it hasn't been a problem at all. You mentioned that you cosleep. I would just make sure that your mattress is good and firm... Our DD couldn't sleep with us, even if I really wanted her to because we have a very squishy (it's wonderful, like a cloud, ah, *sigh*) feather mattress on our bed.

If you're still not comfortable, then I would just do what works for you. Sara would only nap in her swing until she was about 4 months old. I decided her napping was more important than opinions on swing-sleeping.

deborah_r
09-19-2003, 02:45 PM
He can roll over, but doesn't do it often. He is not rolling himself to his tummy, I am putting him there. He tends to fall asleep against my chest in the rocker and then I lay him down on the mattress , which is a similar position. It just seems so natural to me, but I can't deny the Back-to-Sleep campaign statistics, and I would never forgive myself if something happened to him...

Edited to add: My mattress is very firm and we just bought it last year, so I'm not worried about it being saggy. DH and I both prefer a firm mattress. Although I think that might be why my hips hurt so much during pregnancy...

jojo2324
09-19-2003, 02:57 PM
All I know is that I was DILIGENT about rolling him back onto his back when he got on his tummy, and it usually woke him up and caused many hours of crying and my getting frustrated. Belly sleeping really freaked me out, but he has been sleeping that way for months now. (Not that he's a better sleeper.) Don't know if that really answers your question, but that was my situation. We also co-sleep, and he always sleeps on his side when in our bed. (I guess better access to the boob! :P) And he does take much longer naps when he's in his carseat than his crib. One thing I did when he was really little was put a sheepskin in his carseat or stroller and just leave him in there. I guess he just likes feeling snug. (But now, with all the stuff about extended car seat use coming out, who knows what the right course is.)

kristine_elen
09-19-2003, 03:00 PM
Do you get a good burp out of him before putting him down? I know that sounds like a silly question, but even now sometimes that keeps my son up.

lizajane
09-19-2003, 03:18 PM
ds naps on his tummy. best decision i ever made.

KMommie
09-19-2003, 08:14 PM
Since you aren't comfortable with Kai tummy sleeping, perhaps, he's startling himself awake when he sleeps on his back? I'm just trying to figure out why he can take longer naps on his tummy or in his car seat... I know that Kiki would startle herself very easily when on her back. Maybe he's used to a cozy feel, since when you cosleep, you're right there, and in the carseat, it's nice and confined too. Did he like being swaddled earlier? I don't know when you stop swaddling, but maybe something like that, to help him feel less "out in the open"?

Just a thought,

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

jd11365
09-19-2003, 08:22 PM
Yep...me too. I do however respect and understand your concern with tummy sleeping...just something that has worked for us in our home...it also went with our newborn survival motto "Whatever Works!" :-)

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5/1/03

deborah_r
09-19-2003, 10:03 PM
I can't seem to get a good swaddle on him these days. It's like the blankets are too small (which would make sense, as he has grown) and it's hard to even keep his arms in there long enough to wrap him.

peanut4us
09-19-2003, 10:09 PM
At about the age he is now, we had to stop trying to swaddle Sara's arms. We stil (to this day) wrap her trunk and legs. Could you try that? Also, knit, thermal, stretchy blankets seem to work best. Or you could make some of your own that would be large enough. If you're interested in making them, give me a PM and I can help you with instructions if you need it.

Melanie
09-20-2003, 02:48 AM
Ds always had to sleep in a car seat or swing b/c the startle reflex would wake him and he just was not all that comfortable on his back. Side-sleeping is not unsafe (actually was advocated for a while before they realized how hard it was to keep a baby on their side), I guess are you worried that he'll roll to his tummy if you aren't there to stop him?

mommyj
09-20-2003, 08:33 AM
DS is the same way. He hates sleeping on his back, and he tends to spit up a lot more if he's on his back during the day. We co-sleep at night, and he tends to sleep okay on his back then. I usually wear him in a pouch or sling during the day, so he just sleeps in there. I've also found that he sleeps well in his bouncer chair with the vibration thing on. I think he likes it because it's more upright. He'll also take very short naps in his swing. HTH!

KMommie
09-20-2003, 11:22 AM
Oh, I think someone here, mentioned just buying a large piece of flannel at a fabric store, and hemming the edges. I can't remember the dimensions though, but that way you could make it as large as you needed.

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

Tondi G
09-20-2003, 02:16 PM
Well I had the SAME problem with my son as an infant.... he was not a good sleeper on his back and rolled to his side in bed the day we got home... also a Breast fed baby so did it in his search for a boob most likely! He didn't sleep/nap well at all.... it was exhausting.... people thought I was joking that my child didn't sleep longer than 20 minutes during the day and was basically nursing all night long if I let him!!!!! We were a mess! My ped said... where does he sleep the longest... the swing? the car seat? the crib? the bassinette? We figured the car seat mostly..... He told me to let him sleep there then!!!! My son slept in his car seat in his crib from 4 months to almost 9 months when he climbed out of his seat at night and slept cuddled on his side next to the car seat in the crib..... we tried many sleepless weekends to attempt to get him to sleep in his crib..... it was up to him!!!!!

I've heard all the news about Plagio from car seats.... my son has always had a big beautiful ROUND head.... people have even commented on his perfect head!!!! Call me lucky or whatever but it did not affect my child! Now when he was awake the child did not like being in the seat or the stroller... he wanted to be held or be in the Bjorn.... so before he even totally had full head control he was front facing in the Bjorn (he didn't like facing in)! He wanted to see the world coming at him when we were out and about!

Have you tried putting him in the crib/bassinette/cradle with his back against the side...on his side??? It might be enough to help him not be awakened when he is falling asleep or going through sleep cycles and does those little jolts..... my Son ALWAYS woke himself up that way..... swaddling didn't cut it for him!! I would say let him tummy sleep if that is how he gets his best sleep.... or put him in the car seat!!!! You could even consider getting one of those Noggin nest head inserts when you know he'll be sleeping in there if you are worried about Plagio (www.babystyle.com has them on the website). My Ped told me where ever he sleeps best let him sleep there.... It worked for us and what a different child my son became.... that sleep is SO important!!!!

Good luck!
~Tondi