PDA

View Full Version : Good online scrapbooking resources?

etwahl
09-20-2003, 06:47 AM
Before having Lauren i had decided i wanted to get into scrapbooking but so far haven't had time. there isn't unfortunately any local scrapbooking stores (or classes that I can find). are there any good online resources for scrapbooking? for buying supplies? and is it possible if you haven't taken a class? i don't know when i'll ever get time for something like this, but i know the longer i put it off, it might never happen.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

Kimberly H
09-20-2003, 07:08 AM
Tammy,

I got hooked on scrapbooking almost 8 years ago when it was still in its infancy on the East Coast. I learned/purchased exclusively online since there was nothing available locally. Now, of course, you can find stuff everywhere.

If I remember correctly, you live in NC? Are you anywhere near Cary? There's a nice shop there called Raindrops on Roses that I visit when DH takes his yearly trip to Duke's Eye Center.

My favorite online site for messages boards, layout gallery and shopping is http://www.twopeasinabucket.com

One caveat - don't be intimidated! The girls on this site are the ones being published in all of the magazines so it can be a little scary seeing what they're doing.

I *highly* recommend the Simple Scrapbooks magazine for a resource. While it has some of the more trendy layouts using everything but the kitchen sink for embellishments, they feature things that are more simple, thus less expensive and time consuming.

Becky Higgins, one of the all-time great scrapbook gurus, has a book coming out very soon titled Creative Sketches. (http://www.creatingkeepsakes.com/shop/item.ihtml?prod_id=BHsketch) Becky is the creative director/editor for Creating Keepsakes magazine and has a HUGE following in the scrapbook world. This book is based on Becky's column in CK titled "One Sketch, Many Looks" which shows a black/white line drawing of a layout and then how many ways you can interpret that with your photos and supplies. GREAT for a newbie scrapper.

I've always been bummed I didn't start scrapping when my boys were little since there are SO many neat things you can do with baby pictures that you might not have taken otherwise and now that we have a new baby on the way, I'm getting excited about scrapping all over again!

Please feel free to email me with any questions. I'd be happy to help you get started, Tammy.

etwahl
09-20-2003, 07:31 AM
Kimberly, these are some great resources. thank you so much. I'm going to look into all this stuff, including the magazine. i bought a baby scrapbook before lauren was born and i'm afraid i'll never use it if i don't start. i never did a traditional baby book for her, since i thought this would be it.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

nigele
09-20-2003, 07:46 AM
Tammy,

When Lauren is more travelable (is that a word?!) you should head over here - I'll be happy to take you to Raindrops on Roses (which is actually in Raleigh) as well as another great scrapbook store in Raleigh called Scrapbook Plaza.

You should also check into Creative Memories - there's bound to be a consultant in your area. They hold crops at their houses which is a great way to get your scrapbook done as well as meet other women. I did a search for you and here is what was listed:

Dawn Peace
[email protected] New Bern, NC
252-672-5860 SRC

Marylynne Osteen
[email protected] New Bern, NC
252-637-5961 CON

I started Tom's scrapbook before his eye surgery in February and haven't had time to touch it since. I really need to get moving and found a Creative Memories dealer in my neighborhood. She has a schedule of crops and I plan to attend a couple to motivate me and to get ideas.

Kimberly - I live in Cary and take my son to Duke Eye Center every six weeks to see his pediatric opthalmologist. Let me know the next time you're in town! I plan to check out the scrapbook web sites you recommended to Tammy - what great information.

lizajane
09-20-2003, 08:01 AM
i think scrapbooking looks SO fun, but i am too afraid to start because of the cost. there are so many cute things to use and i just know i would want to buy all kinds of expensive little decorations.

how do you scrapbook without letting cost get out of hand?

MartiesMom2B
09-20-2003, 08:33 AM
Tammy:

I second Lisa's idea to find a creative memories consultant. Maybe you can host a party and learn how to scrapbook, and get some stuff for free. Creative memories can be a little pricy, but I think you can apply what techiniques you learn when buying lower priced scrapbook supplies.

Liza:

Someone told me that Wal-mart has scrapbooking supplies too. Michael's has stuff too.

I tried to make an engagement scrapbook and it's laughable. My poor attempt at creativity. My SIL however is very talented at scrapbooking.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

lizajane
09-20-2003, 09:07 AM
michaels is what i think is so expensive!
i am such a cheapskate...

Kimberly H
09-20-2003, 06:14 PM
Liza, one of the most beautiful books I have ever seen in my life was simply photos, cardstock and a black pen for journaling. Class doesn't have to be expensive!

Edited to add: there's also a group on Two Peas that holds a budget challenge every so often and I think there's a Frugal Scrappers Yahoo Group too. I find lots of scrappers are SAHM's on a budget so cheapskates will never be lonely in scrapping!

lizamann
09-20-2003, 06:22 PM
My local Target has an aisle with a pretty extensive scrapbook supplies section. All sorts of acid-free papers, albums, die-cuts, scissors, the right markers. It's worth a trip!

I have a very cute Creative Memories baby album that I got as a gift and I bought some stickers and markers from my consultant, and I went to a party held by my SIL. But it does seem expensive to go that route, and I don't really feel comfortable with the whole party-but-feel-obligated-to-buy vibe that this kind of marketing creates.

LisaMom2Allie
09-20-2003, 11:47 PM
I think QVC has some great scrapbook things.

Lisa
Mom to Allie Nicole
3-10-03

DDowning
09-21-2003, 12:01 PM
You might want to try this site:

http://www.scrapbookuniversity.com

suribear
09-21-2003, 12:41 PM
I started scrapbooking and love it!! My advice is keep it simple, or you'll never finish! Of course, here I am doing my dd's 11th month, and she is almost four! I haven't even started ds's book yet.. but I *only* started scrapbooking 1.5 years ago. I don't get to do it as often as I'd like.

I love the creative memories tools b/c they really are excellent and have a full guarantee. I'm not crazy about their stickers and embellishments, though, so I buy those from scrapbook stores/ebay. My favorite album company is K and Co. Those are easy b/c you buy fancy paper and stick your pics on it. No need for elaborate embellishments if you're in a hurry. I did the creative memories album for my dd so every page has a white background. Premade borders are great!

I would recommend going to a CM class to get started, but don't feel pressured to buy everything in sight :) The CM technique is fairly simple, and you'll get some good ideas. Beware of the triangles, though. My first few pages were full of them, but now I don't like the way they look. You'll understand if you go to a CM class, unless they've changed. I would also start scrapping baby showers or something while you get the hang of it.

Have fun!

Kris

heidi_timms
09-21-2003, 01:51 PM
I would definitely host a Creative Memories Scrapbook party. They are great fun and will help you get started! My friend did consulting for a while. They are limited as to what they sell, but it's a good way to learn! Some consultants even host scrapbooking workshops at either the local community center or at their house. I would call them and ask.

Ebay is also a great place to buy scrapbooking supplies. It's a great place to get specialty things like vellum paper for cheap!

Also, Michaels has a 40% off coupon usually in the Sunday paper. I use that to buy the expensive items such as paper cutters, albums, etc.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

mama2be
09-21-2003, 02:20 PM
I'm glad you've posted this becasue now I am into journaling and getting my pics in order...

I know I won't beable to do massive scrap books filled with my art and few pics...I'm jealous that do, I jsut know I'd never get done. I also shared with Gina who had emailed me some great info (she feared she'd spam if she put it here and I highly encourage her to put her info here...she is real into it and has a lot of knowledge and is a member of the boards so I hope she shares with eveyrone)...

So I went to Walmart and they had the absolute classiest adorable "gift tags" that are three diminsional that have things like a fabric wedding dress, fabric football outfit etc... that I plan to use on pages filled with picutres. Each item (there are a few in each wrappr) is $3 the check out gal gasped at how expensive they are BUT if you look at their detail they are so classy...

I bought about $100 worth of things, but again they are so classy...i highly recommend folks checking them out...

One company is called RebeccaSower designs "fresh tags" hand made gift tags
It appears there might be a web sire www.eksuccess.com

The other company is jolee's boutique sticker collage distributed by stickopotamus by Jean Card

They are too pretty to describe!!!

calebsmama03
09-21-2003, 03:05 PM
LOL - you sound just like me!! I bought a cute book and some pages from Creative Memories before DS was born and have yet to even start!! (He is about the same age as your daughter, too!!) I'm intimidated by it (the time, the cost). I also didn't get a baby book thinking I'd make my own. I'd better get moving. There is a store here called Archivers and they have a "crop room" - they let you use their die cutters, scissors, etc for free if you buy your paper and stickers there, so I might try it. I think they have classes, too.

Sorry no help here, just wanted to offer moral support from another procrastinator who started out with grand intentions! Too bad we don't live closer (I'm in Denver)- would be a fun undertaking with a buddy :)
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

amp
09-21-2003, 04:11 PM
Another scrapper here. Others have already mentioned the places I use most for supplies and ideas. I get the Creating Keepsakes magazine, as well as Simple Scrapbooks and PaperKuts. I shop at local scrapbook stores and at Target, Walmart, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, QVC (Lisa Bearnson, the editor of Creating Keepsakes and her staff are regularly on QVC. I find out though the CK online newsletter.) Also, there are catalogs of stuff...Current even has one....also www.creativeexpress.com There are lots more that I direct you toward if you want more...let me know (I have a bunch bookmarked).

suribear
09-21-2003, 04:19 PM
I forgot to mention.. most scrapbooking stores have crop nights. you pay $5 or so to use the facilities/equipment and scrap with other people. Our mother's club also has a scrapbooking subclub. Great way to learn new ideas. It's fun to meet the other moms, too!

Sometimes my friends and I get together to do it, which is always a ball :) All you need is a child-free zone and you're set! Though I have managed to scrap with the baby. Even my four year old is ok with it, though I give her leftover stickers to play with!

Kris