PDA

View Full Version : Would you ever buy a tv online?

etwahl
09-20-2003, 07:33 AM
we unfortunately need a new tv but the weight on the ones we're looking at are around 200 pounds. i'm wondering if it's okay to buy something like this online (especially if you've seen and liked the real thing in person). they're so much cheaper online. my biggest fear is if there's a problem, how do you get it fixed? shipping 200 pounds isn't feasible. we've been looking at sony models. anyone know how their warranties would work in this type of situation?

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

KMommie
09-20-2003, 09:06 PM
When we had to fix our Sony 53" tv, the local tv repair shop did a pickup and delivery. We didn't buy it online, but the store we did buy it from doesn't deal with warranty work, we had to deal with the Sony Repair Center. Sorry, I'm not much help, but we do LOVE our tv!!

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

sbaker
09-20-2003, 09:29 PM
Tammy,
Two years ago I bought DH an wide screen HDTV for Christmas. I bought it online from www.onecall.com. They shipped it motor freight to my door. I was very suprised how well it all went. I went to all the local stores and picked out the one I (he) wanted and then found it online. If I remember correctly, the tv was about $200 cheaper online and it included shipping. Also, by buying it online I saved another $100+ in sales tax.
I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Just my two cents...
:) :+ :)
Sara
Mom to Rayce 02/09/02
Baby #2 due 01/05/04

khakismom
09-21-2003, 12:11 AM
Have you guys looked into a TV with DLP technology? They're way lighter than normal TVs. Our 43-incher only weighs like 60 pounds and is TONS lighter than our normal Sony 27-incher. Just a thought... maybe that would help in the weight department. :)

http://www.dlp.com/dlp_technology/dlp_technology_advantages.asp?bhcp=1

etwahl
09-21-2003, 06:26 AM
Never even heard of it. The maximum size we can get is a 36 inch. Does this come in that size? It's because that's all our cabinet can hold...we bought this really nice cabinet so we could hide the tv in our living room!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

etwahl
09-21-2003, 08:15 AM
Oh Sara!!!! You're just the person I need information from!!!

We have been looking at the sony widescreen 34 inch ones, hdtv. BUT I'm wondering something. I've read on Cnet and different places that if you watch more tv (we have digital cable) than dvd's that we might not like the widescreen tv? What are your thoughts?

online is so much cheaper...and you're right, no tax. it saves so much money!

also, we don't plan to buy the upgraded dvd and receiver for quite some time (when we save) but I'm wondering do we need any special cables?

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

sbaker
09-21-2003, 02:24 PM
We went from a 29" regular tv to a 42" widescreen. I love it! At first it did seem a little weird to have everything widescreen, but after just a few days you realize that it seems more realistic. Now when I see "regular" tv's they seem strange.
We don't have a fancy dvd or an hdtv receiver either. Just a plain old dvd and Directv. We tried using the same cables we had from our previous tv and then bought the better cables from a local electronics store. The upgraded cables do make a clarity difference. Dvd's and regular Directv programming look awesome! DH keeps hoping that we'll be able to afford an HDTV receiver, but with Baby #2 coming it may be awhile.

Just my two cents...
:) :+ :)
Sara
Mom to Rayce 02/09/02
Baby #2 due 01/05/04