PDA

View Full Version : I might have just done something really stupid--help

peanut4us
09-21-2003, 09:52 AM
So, I have managed to catch the cold that DD has (which I think is turning into an ear infection for her). In any case, since DH is around and I want to get some sleep, I just took some "nighttime" theraflu from our medicine cabinet, without considering the breastfeeding repercussions (duh!? I'm an idiot). A while ago, I asked my ped if I could take sudaphed, and they said just about anything over the counter is OK. Whatabout, knock you out stuff? Can anyone help me on this?

And it would be a Sunday, where I can't get a hold of my ped. Should I just give her ebm today from yesterday? and pump and dump? can I still nurse her? I really hate to give her the ebm if I don't have to, since I don't make "extra" for when I'm at work.

flagger
09-21-2003, 10:18 AM
While it is possible that any medication can pass through the breast milk, unless you were a Nyquil junkie (or in this case nighttime Theraflu), I would think that the amount would be so small that Breastfeeding would be ok.

If you purchased over the counter, and your Ped said otc would be ok then I would think you should be fine. She is going to get your antibodies to the cold anyway in much bigger amounts that any amount of Theraflu should be neglible.

stillplayswithbarbies
09-21-2003, 10:47 AM
If you can find the phone number for your local La Leche League leader, they usually have a copy of Hales and can look up any drug to see if it is safe while breastfeeding. Or you could join the Yahoo group "breastfeeding" and post there asking for a Hales lookup. Or call a lactation consultant. (does the hospital where you delivered have one on staff? Call the nursery and ask.)

One concern would be the alcohol in the Theraflu (I am assuming it contains alcohol). Alcohol is found in the breastmilk in the same concentration as in the blood. I would think that whatever is in it would be out of your system by the time it is time to take the next dose, so as long as you don't nurse during that time it should be okay.

You can also check the http://www.kellymom.com site under the "is this safe while breastfeeding".

I don't think your ped is correct that anything over the counter is okay. (he did say "just about anything", but he didn't say what isn't okay?)

If it were me, I would find someone who can look it up in Hales and trust that source before I trusted a ped or anyone on a message board. :)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

flagger
09-21-2003, 11:00 AM
I don't know the active indgredient of Theraflu is but here are some links that might help:

http://www.perinatology.com/exposures/druglist.htm

http://www.pdr.net/HomePage_template.jsp

peanut4us
09-21-2003, 02:53 PM
Thanks you guys. Between all the sites, I was able to figure out that there was only one questionable drug, but that it's OK to keep bfing. Phew! DH is going to take Sara to the Dr tomorrow anyway, so I'll lay off the theraflu until after they go (hopefully, I will feel better and won't need it).

FYI for anyone else, pseudophesrine (in sudaphed, theraflu, etc.) can cause your milk supply to decrease by about 30%. So I popped some fenugreek just in case. Oh the onset of fall and winter. lovely.

Thanks for your help.