PDA

View Full Version : When do you stop using a changing table?

ralu
09-21-2003, 07:48 PM
(I am not sure whether this is the right place to post, but I'll do it anyway.) I heard that after 6-7 months, it's recommended that you change the baby on the floor instead of a changing table. Is that true? What do people do?

TIA,
Raluca

daisymommy
09-21-2003, 08:09 PM
I don't know about everyone else (although I have wondered), but I still change Josh (13 months and 26lbs.) on a changing table. It is a sturdy solid wood dresser/changer combo, or else he would have broken a flimsy one by now ;). It seems he less room to "escape" on his changing table, and he is at the perefct height. However, on the floor, it kills my back bending over him, and he can get away from me much easier.

C99
09-21-2003, 08:21 PM
I stopped changing Nate on the changing table about a month ago, so right in the range you cited. I just change him on the floor. He squirms so much that even with one hand on him, he'd have his head over the edge of the table in about 5 seconds. He just wants to get over onto his tummy and crawl, which is a lot more feasible on the floor. If he squirms to get something and then I flip him back over, he doesn't have to be in the same exact position. In terms of logistics, we're both on the floor. Nate's on his back (though sometimes I'm doing up the buttons while he's in the crawl position) and I'm sitting on my butt. My husband still uses the changing table -- I have no idea how he does it!

egoldber
09-21-2003, 08:52 PM
LOL! I still change Sarah on our changing table at two years and 28 pounds! But she has never been a squirmer during diaper changes.

Momof3Labs
09-21-2003, 08:54 PM
We still use the changing table for all changes. It is easier on my back, and Colin knows that he has to stay put. If I try to change him on the floor, it takes a lot more effort because he sees the floor as a place to play - not a place to lay still for a few minutes!

MinnieMouse
09-22-2003, 09:25 AM
We still use both our dresser changing table w/ the pad on top and the Jenny Lind style one in the living room (picked it up for only $20 at the consignement shop) with our dd who is 2yrs and 3mo.

It is WAY easier for both dd and I to change dd on the table. I wouldn't dream of switching to the floor at all.

Well...let me rephrase that...if dd was HUGE I would...she's about 29lbs right now.

HTH

Christine

amp
09-22-2003, 10:24 AM
I think it's personal preference. When I worked in daycare, we had and used changing tables in each room that housed kids up to the 3-4 yrs. of age room. After age 4, they were in a room that didn't have them. I will admit, my son is getting pretty squirmy, but will continue to use the changing table unless it gets to be a problem. I guess I just got so used to changing 10 1-yr-olds on the table that I don't mind the squirming most of the time.

mamahill
09-22-2003, 10:27 AM
Ainsleigh (at 18 months) is still changed on the changing table. She hasn't ever been a big squirmer, though.

Sandy
09-22-2003, 10:32 AM
We still using the changing table with Alexander at 18 months. We also will change him on the floor but he tends to actually be squirmier on the floor and trys to run/crawl away.

Sandy mom to Alexander Thor 3/16/02

Melanie
09-23-2003, 01:01 AM
We switched to the floor when Ds would quickly grab the rail and flip over into a crawl position.

etwahl
09-23-2003, 06:30 AM
i put my changing pad (higher on all sides) on the floor, not because of the safety issue, but because i never go into her room which is across the house (sad that a pretty room never gets used!)

so her changing pad has a permanent place in the corner of my bedroom, and I just sit cross-legged to change her. it works for us.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

Rachels
09-23-2003, 07:24 AM
There's no right answer. We still use the changing table at 16 months because Abby is MUCH squirmier on the floor. If she were squirmier on the table, we'd do things differently.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02