PDA

View Full Version : Flu Shot for Pregnant Moms

himom
09-22-2003, 06:54 AM
Inspired by the flu shot question in the feeding forum...

Every time I get a flu shot I get sick (like a very bad cold). The last time I got one was when I was pregnant and my OB recommended it so I could pass some of its benefits to the baby. She didn't tell that I would spend almost a week at home sneezing, weeping from watery eyes, and blowing my nose raw. It was worse than a "regular" flu would have been! I was pretty mad.

I'm never getting another one for my own benefit but I might do it the next time I'm pregnant if someone can convince me that the baby really does get some real immunities out of it.

Anyone? Anyone?

Jodi
Mommy to Joshua, born February 2003

MartiesMom2B
09-22-2003, 07:49 AM
Jodi:

Unfortunately one of the side affects of getting a flu shot is to get the flu. I think it's not supposed to be as bad as getting the regular flu.

I used to get the flu shot every year. Of course the one year that I didn't, I got a nasty flu virus that I think picked up on a plane along with a very nasty case of strep throat.

I don't think that getting the flu shot preggers passes on any immunities to the baby though.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

Calmegja
09-22-2003, 09:38 AM
I've always gotten a flu shot, even when pregnant/nursing.

It's not about the immunities to the baby, it's about protecting the mom from serious flu complications that could harm the baby, if the mom were to contract a serious case of flu (dehydration which can lead to preterm labor, secondary bacterial infections, other complications).

You can read up thoroughly on it at http://www.cdc.gov

Hope that helps.

himom
09-22-2003, 05:48 PM
Thanks, I'll take all that into consideration next time!

Jodi
Mommy to Joshua, born February 2003