PDA

View Full Version : Moms of reflux babies, how have you handled med side effects?

Rachels
09-22-2003, 07:49 AM
Well, my kid was NOT one of those who outgrow reflux by one year. She's having a tough time. Her frightening food strike is over, thank heavens, and she's eating enough that I don't feel panicked. The esophogitis must be healing. Now if we could just settle on a medication that works for her! Everything we try either doesn't control the reflux or causes gas / belly pain that keeps her awake. I don't have much hope at all about ever feeling rested, and I'm so sad that she's so miserable. Any ideas?

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

kristine_elen
09-22-2003, 08:08 AM
I suppose you've already had ultrasounds or upper GI to rule out a treatable physical problem? A friend's daughter had serious reflux problem and they ended up doing surgery on her -- very minor procedure, I guess -- and that seemed to clear things up. Good luck!

peanut4us
09-22-2003, 09:31 AM
Rachel, I can't remember but have you all tried the prevacid. Ours is a hard to find (read, expensive) liquid. It is so gentle on Sara and has worked wonderfully since we started her on it 2 months ago. IMO, she is much less gassy than on the nasty zantac. She can even sleep in a flat crib now (instead of one end elevated).

My heart aches for you guys.

mama2be
09-22-2003, 09:45 AM
Rachel just a thought-
But can you list what she has tried and the good and bad about each...maybe how long she has even been on each...

A list to see what almost worked, what was a definite no go etc... might help folks, and if not here showing the list to a pharmacist or the DR might help them "compare" ingrediants to see what might work...

There has to be something out there and maybe it is something with just the smallest ingrediant change that will comfort her...

But a glance at what seems to work, kinda work and is a definite no go might help for others to steer you...

I wonder if a good conversation with a pharmacist might help too...
Just a thought!!!

Rachels
09-22-2003, 11:05 AM
Good ideas, Neve. We've tried Zantac (bothers her belly and doesn't control the reflux), Prevacid (controls the reflux but keeps her up all night and causes bad diaper rash, cradle cap, and gas), and Prilosec suspension (the sodium bicarb in the suspension causes her to scream for three hours straight). We just last night tried Prilosec capsule, and it's hard to know if it did much. I think we have to give it a few days. We've also tried some Carafate, but it's really tough to give that in conjunction with other meds.

The next test on her doctor's agenda is an endoscopy, which requires an IV and general anesthetic. YIKES! Obviously I don't want to do that if we can avoid it but will do it if we have to.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

ismommy
09-22-2003, 06:17 PM
Hi Rachel,

Bella did have to have the endoscopy and I was terrified but she came through it with flying colors. It took a long time for her esophagus to heal close to 3 months. At one point she was on an antibiotic for the rflux as well as the prevacid and I was told to try to get Mallox or mylanta in her while she was having an attack. Like Abby she did not out grow it at 1 but as she has gotten older it s becoming easier - she has told me when her esophagus hurts so then I know to lt her drink lots and not push food. Also she is now off her medicine and what we were tols today is if she starts to show signs is to try to mallox and then zantac fr a few days.

helene
mommy to Isabella 9/19/01

liya
09-22-2003, 06:47 PM
Rachel out of all those meds you mentioned up there, there isnt one that Arian didnt react badly to..They are very hard meds even for a grown up to handel...I think the only combination that did work for us was zantac and mallox together....I hope she gets better soon....I know how hard it is to go through this..(((hugs mamma)))

peanut4us
09-22-2003, 08:08 PM
Rachel, was the prevacid liquid or powder? I don't know if it would make a difference. My ped will NOT give infants the powder. He says it's too harsh. But he likes the liquid. And it really is a wonder drug for Sara.

loewymartin
09-23-2003, 11:08 AM
I haven't finished reading the thread yet, but wanted to mention that I used Nexium. I have Barrett's Esophagitis, and it's done wonders for me. I don't have any side effects - except that I can eat :-) I'm not sure if this is available for children yet, but you might want to ask. It is pretty expensive, but I only take one dose a day (there are different dosage levels and I was at 20 mg).

I'm so sorry Abby's still hurting. Please give her a hug from us.

Michelle - Mom to Alia born 5/16/02