PDA

View Full Version : Mother's Groups

Jen841
09-22-2003, 08:54 AM
What do you talk about? I am a working Mom so I have not been able to attend one before.

parkersmama
09-22-2003, 10:46 AM
The mother's groups that I've done are relatively informal although I'm a sometimes attendee of our local Mom's Club. Most of the time the talk is very much like it is here: what baby/child is doing what, where to find a cute outfit, who makes the best birthday cake, how do you measure shoes, what are the kids going to be for Halloween, how to find the time to get things done, etc. As a matter of fact, these boards are often a very good substitute for a mom's group. Of course, meeting with people IRL and getting to know them and their baby is a lot of fun. I have found that since Parker has started school, I only really have the need for something like this in the summertime to provide activities for us to do. During the schoolyear, I mostly just have occasional visits with friends either in homes or at Burger King, etc. The kids play and we chat. The Mom's Club that I'm in is more formal as far as the activity goes: story time at B&N, tour of the airport, visit to the zoo, etc.

August Mom
09-22-2003, 12:27 PM
Mostly our kids. Occasionally we'll talk about other things - redecorating, TV, vacations. I find that I only talk about more important things when it's a one-on-one or may a group of me and two other moms. Then, we've talked about Bible studies, being saved, what it's like to be an only child, problems with in-laws and other interesting stuff.

egoldber
09-22-2003, 12:42 PM
Like the others said, initally you talk mostly about your kids and comparing information. Also other moms oftn have good tips on places to get things cheap locally, where to go for pitcures, info about preschools, etc. But as your group gets to be closer and (hopefully) you become really good friends with another mom or two, you start to talk about other things too!

And in my group, we've helped each other out with impromptu babysitting, sharing baby gear and clothes for second babies, etc.

lizajane
09-22-2003, 02:39 PM
everything from sleep ideas to poopy diapers to sex!

Karenn
09-22-2003, 03:19 PM
At MOPS (Mothers of Pre-Schoolers) there's often a speaker. Usually she speaks on something about motherhood. Some of last year's topics were early writing skills, cooking light, relating to your husband, planning a birthday party, redecorating your child's room. Afterwards, the moms talk about the speaker and EVERYTHING else that you've been wanting to talk about but can't discuss with a baby. :) (i.e. Liza's post!)

nathansmom
09-23-2003, 11:16 AM
We talk about everything from babies to sex. The lady that runs the group has guest speakers come once a month..

suribear
09-23-2003, 11:35 AM
Depends. Ours is huge so there are many subgroups, inc. a book club, hiking club and "ethnic" subgroups. My playgroup is essentially a group of friends now so we talk about anything and everything :)

The larger group always has speakers on topic pertaining to parenting, etc...

Oh, there are also playgroups for working parents. They meet in the evening or weekends! I know, however, that we're very lucky to have this resource. Not everyone does..

Kris

C99
09-23-2003, 08:50 PM
All of the moms in our playgroup are either SAHMs or work part-time. We talk about a lot of different things -- there isn't really an agenda. What we did the past week, comparing what our kids are doing and/or asking for reassurance on what is normal, etc., husbands, deals on baby gear, mothers-in-law/mothers problems, working, mini-vans, babysitters, etc. I love my playgroup; it's the highlight of our week!