PDA

View Full Version : Good Morning America segment on BF'ing

jd11365
09-23-2003, 09:43 AM
Did anyone catch the segment on BF'ing on GMA this morning? My neighbor said she saw something about flame retardant and a link to cancer? I didn't watch GMA this morning, so I don't know what she's talking about. I did a search on the GMA website and found nothing. Anyone see it?

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5/1/03

heytootsy
09-23-2003, 09:58 AM
I saw parts of it (I was busy playing with Maya, so the info I got is somewhat filtered). They did a study on American women who were breastfeeding, and 100% of them had levels above the "safe" levels. I did not catch what exactly the flame retardant was found in, but they still stressed that it is better to keep on breastfeeding than to use formula. I hope someone else has more info.

slknight
09-23-2003, 10:18 AM
This is the front-page story in USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2003-09-22-breast-milk_x.htm

I dropped Alex off for his first day of daycare, and then saw this at the store on my way home. What a day - I am depressed. :-(

Susan and Alex (04.18.03)

suribear
09-23-2003, 11:39 AM
They tested breast milk b/c it's an easy and non-invasive way to test the levels of the chemical in the body. It wasn't done to show how dangerous breastfeeding is, or anything like that :) The benefits of breastfeeding still far outweigh any slight risks, so not to worry about that part. It is always worrisome to see environmental hazards, though, so I hope the companies are forced to look at this issue.

Kris

Vajrastorm
09-23-2003, 04:06 PM
The sample of women was very small - something to remember.

khakismom
09-23-2003, 05:01 PM
The study was done to test the levels of toxic materials that we ingest--not to say BF is bad. The result show that we are breathing in high levels of toxins and then passing this crap onto our kids by breastfeeding, and that government needs to regulate the levels.