PDA

View Full Version : OK so what is Must See TV, in your house?

flagger
09-23-2003, 01:07 PM
Since I posted the fall schedule, thought I would ask about your favourite shows.

Returning that have to be watched or taped:

The West Wing
Friends
CSI (The original, could not get into Miami at all)
ER

&

Alias just because Jennifer Garner and Michael Vartan are on my and Ms. Flagger's "list" :D

For new shows:

Queer Eye for the Straight Guy

And Ms. Flagger is interested in Lyon's Den

How about you?

mama2be
09-23-2003, 01:11 PM
Oprah!!!...but as long as it is not celebrity interviews :)

sweetbasil
09-23-2003, 01:13 PM
We love Alias, Ed, West Wing, and The Bachelor (I love that Bob!)--- so we're sunk on Wednesday nights- not enough tvs in the house to tape it all! Does tivo tape multiple shows at once? :o

I'm interested in Lyon's Den, and will want to watch Friends, since it's the last season and all. Some of the Friday night ABC shows look pretty cute. Who knows what'll pan out, though.

flagger
09-23-2003, 01:14 PM
OH how could you ever not want to sit through YET ANOTHER Bennifer interview.

LOL

;)

Rachels
09-23-2003, 01:15 PM
The West Wing!!!! Also, Friends, ER, and we're curious about Lyon's Den.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

flagger
09-23-2003, 01:19 PM
Bravo has been re-reruning the first and now second season of the West Wing. I am very excited because just noticed in November it will be released on DVD. We didn't get into it at all until the second season.

We hope it gets better now that Aaron Sorkin is gone. Will be interesting to see that

SPOILER...HOLD MOUSE TO READ

Gary Cole (Midnight Caller) will be the new Vice President.

rorycam
09-23-2003, 01:34 PM
For me, "Gilmore Girls" and "Sex and the City" are must-see, but DH hates them both and actually has to leave the room when they come on. "The O.C." has must-see potential for me, though I have missed the last couple episodes. (I was a huge 90210/Melrose fan, so that is my closest approximation.)

For DH, "King of the Hill" is his must-see, and is also the only "new" TV show he will watch at all. Together, we like to watch TVLand, so our must-see shows are "Leave it to Beaver" and "I Love Lucy."

I've tried to get into both CSI shows because I like forensic stuff, but I never can follow a storyline on those programs, though it looks like most of America can. I usually turn them on long enough to hear The Who and promptly fall asleep.:)

sweetbasil
09-23-2003, 01:42 PM
You are so cool, Flagger. Small font, big font, colored font, and now invisible font? It took me a minute to figure out how to read the spoiler, forget figuring out how the coding works! ;)

LucyG
09-23-2003, 01:42 PM
The West Wing
ER
Friends
Frasier

We have been on pins and needles about West Wing all summer. Will tomorrow night ever get here????????

sweetbasil
09-23-2003, 01:44 PM
Us to, and especially about Alias. DH keeps saying, "I don't know if I can wait until Sunday to see the new Alias!" Like there's another option?! ;)

flagger
09-23-2003, 02:02 PM
Just to tide you over until Sunday. MORE SPOILERS. Click and hold mouse to highlight.

* Daddy Jack Bristow has quit the CIA.
* Marcus Dixon now has Jack’s old job.
* Many, if not all, now think Arvin Sloane is a good guy.
* Some believe a heretofore unreferenced brotherhood of evil dubbed “The Covenant” is responsible for Syd’s two-year blackout.
* Eric Weiss is still with the agency, and becomes Syd’s new roommate.
* Marshall Flinkman is about to become a daddy, having presumably knocked up colleage Carrie Bowman.
* Will Tippin is not in the opener, but will return briefly at some point.
* Francie Calfo, like Will, is also not in the opener, but will be back somehow.
* Lena Olin will be back as Irina Laura Derevko Bristow.
* Syd learns something that causes her to flog Vaughn silly in the third season’s opening minutes.
* 3.1 will end, naturally, with a startling revelation.

amp
09-23-2003, 02:04 PM
Alias
Survivor
Friends & ER (we even have 2 VCRs so we have them set to tape both if we aren't home)

Edited to add: I forgot about Third Watch, Ed, & The Batchelor. Boy, it's a wonder I have time for anything else! I wonder how much of this I'll actually get to watch now that I have a baby!

mamahill
09-23-2003, 02:11 PM
We've watched West Wing from day 1, and are worried about the absence of Aaron Sorkin. We loved his "Sports Night" that got canned after 2 seasons (they started re-running them on the Comedy Channel but it was awful because they added canned laughter. It was the only comedy I've seen that DIDN'T have the stupid laughter).

Friends
CSI
Survivor (haven't watched it in several season's, but watched last week and I'm so hooked - arrrrr, matey!)
ER

Apparently it's Thursday night. Nobody call!! I'd love to watch "Queer Eye" but we don't have cable. My parents will Tivo it, though, because I watched it there once and my dad thought it was hilarious.

nathansmom
09-23-2003, 02:14 PM
We don't get our local stations so everything I watch is reruns or cable shows.

Must see-
Sex and the City. I don't know what I'll do when the series ends.
CSI- watching reruns on Spike
Law and Order SVU- reruns on USA
Law and Order Criminal Intent- reruns on USA

Sounds like its a good idea I don't have local stations as I might watch more television then I need to.

Calmegja
09-23-2003, 02:20 PM
Absolute must see...

"Without A Trace"
"MI-5"
"Sex and the City"
"Gilmore Girls"
"Monk"
"Dead Like Me"

I like "Ed", "Scrubs" and "Law/Order CI", but it's not panic time if we miss them. I use to love "Friends", but I'm so mad at Ross and Rachel, that it usually just serves to irritate me....

momma_boo
09-23-2003, 02:29 PM
There are our MUST WATCH shows:

Third Watch (DH is a fireman)
Alias
ER
Gilmore Girls
The West Wing (where on earth will Zooey turn up?!?)

Other shows we like to watch when we can:
Friends
Sex and the City
Everybody Loves Raymond

ddmarsh
09-23-2003, 02:41 PM
I'm not much of a tv watcher in general, but have to watch SATC and adore Bill Maher's new show when I can stay awake to catch it. I also love Six Feet Under and IMO, Curb Your Enthusiasm is one of the funniest shows ever :).

Oops, guess I might have to seek employment with HBO now that I look back over that list!

wendmatt
09-23-2003, 02:52 PM
Friends, Frasier and ER. ALthough if Joey is getting his own show (hmmm not sure how that'll be) it would seem him and Rachel will not be together, which is a bummer coz I liked that storyline! I know it's just a show as dh likes to remind me!
Love ER but haven't quite gotten over Mark Green dying! It happened when I was pregnant and I sobbed while it was on and got teary eyed just thinking about it....how lame am I!!!

toomanystrollers
09-23-2003, 02:54 PM
Ok, we have very strange tastes in our house:

Must see:
Sundays: Sex in the City and I cannot wait for SIX FEET UNDER

Mondays: "American Choppers" (Discovery): I'm not into bikes, but the father/son dynamic reminds me of my dear dad (who passed away earlier this year) and my brother.

Tuesdays: Queer Eye for the Straight Guy: I'd loved to sign up DH for a wardrobe makeover :)

Thurday: Survivor: We always get sucked into watching every season.

And that's about it!

egoldber
09-23-2003, 03:00 PM
OOHH!! MI-5 is my new favorite show!!! I think the Tom Quinn agent is just dreamy!!

DH's favs are:
The West Wing (I like pretty well)
ER (I can't stand anymore)
NYPD Blue (I can't stand any more)
CSI (I like OK)

My favs are:
MI-5
Law&Order
Survivor
Angel
(I'm a bit eclectic in my TV watching...)

I am still in deep mourning that Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Farscape are gone...

blnony
09-23-2003, 03:14 PM
We watch too much TV around here...;)
Monday:
CSI: Miami

Tuesday:
Nip/Tuck (I love this show, its my new fav)
Record: Judging Amy

Wednesday:
We'll probably watch the Bachelor b/c I love Bob from the Bachelorette.

Thursday:
Watch Friends
Record: Survivor
have to watch CSI
Sometimes we watch ER; but its been on a downhill slide IMO

Sunday:
Watch Carnivale and K Street
Record: Alias

We pretty much watch all of the HBO original programs esp. the one's on Sunday night.

August Mom
09-23-2003, 03:21 PM
CSI (I don't like CSI Miami either)
Without a Trace
Monk
Amazing Race (when it returns)

And, I'm getting into MI-5. I don't think it's reached must see status yet, though.

I'm also intrigued by the Lyon's Den.

peanut4us
09-23-2003, 03:23 PM
Well DH's list is easy, 24/7 The History Channel (yawn!) or hockey.

My list has been seriously pared down. I just realized that with working f/t and spending time with Sara, I can't turn on the tube without some serious rules, or I won't get anything done. So my new rule *gulp* is 1 show a night except Fri (my end of week treat is 2 shows). So this is my list right now:

Sun--Law and Order Criminal Intent
Mon--nothing, family time (read, time with DH where we actually talk instead of watch TV or surf net)
Tues--Real World (until the Paris season is over)
Wed--West Wing
Thurs--Survivor
Fri--JAG (maybe, not sure about this season. If they go too far away
from courtroom drama, I'm outie)
Boomtown (love this show!)
Sat--DH obtains Dead Like Me from somewhere, so we watch it then

gravymommy3
09-23-2003, 03:25 PM
Goodness, what don't we watch??

Survivor
Friends (thank you Tivo)
Will & Grace
Frasier
Fear Factor (but only after it has been recorded so you can fast forward through all the junk!!)

Boston Public
Law & Order
The Practice
Malcom in the Middle

Still ticked that they cancelled Family Law

Thanks to Tivo, even though we like a lot of shows, we don't spend that much time watching cause we cruise past all the commercials...

At least it sounds better that way :)

deborah_r
09-23-2003, 03:37 PM
Hmmm I was only into the West Wing for about a season, but for some reason I can't explain I am a Gary Cole fan! He just always seems to stand out in any role he plays. A friend of mine met him once and he is really nice and down to earth.

Didn't know Aaron Sorkin was going...

Vajrastorm
09-23-2003, 03:55 PM
Buffy and Farscape were the only two shows I ever made it a point to sit down and watch!!!

McQ
09-23-2003, 04:28 PM
I'm a tv junkie. I was just saying earlier today that if my imaginary friends and tv worlds collide my husband my never see me.

Sunday - Alias, Law & Order CI - Will check out Lyon's Den
Tuesday - Gilmore Girls and 24
Wednesday - Ed, West Wing, and Law & Order
Thursday - Friends, Survivor, OC, CSI and ER
Friday - going to check out Miss Match

We have the satellite dish/tivo combo and we can record two shows at once. Now that's must have.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03

MartiesMom2B
09-23-2003, 04:33 PM
I have a friend who's husband went to high school with Darren Star. He's so jealous of Darren's fame that he refuses to watch any show that he' related to.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

deborah_r
09-23-2003, 05:02 PM
ME:

Law & Order
NYPD Blue
ER Sometimes - used to love it before Carol & Doug left)
I like Malcolm in the Middle (but don't always catch it)
Six Feet Under
Sopranos (shenever they decide to bless us with new episodes)
I like to watch TNT during the day for old ER, NYPD Blue, Law & Order, and most recently I started watching Judging Amy reruns and I LOVE them.

Darling Husband:

Nothing that I like
Any documentary
Simpsons
That 70s Show

Has anyone else noticed that anytime you turn on the History Channel, day or night, there's a program about Hitler, or in some way relating to Hitler (Hitler's Mistresses, etc.). I've about had my fill of Hitler related documentaries.

NancyJ_redo
09-23-2003, 05:28 PM
Hmm...well I try to keep it to a minimum but am not so successful at it. The must see's are:

Friends (even tho the old ones are funnier)
Sex in the City
Sopranos
I'll be watching the new Bachelor with Bob
Conan O'Brian (I love that show, and am up late enough to watch it much too often!)
And of course House Hunters...but really just to catch a rerun of the one with the suave, ultrahip and ubercool couple from Manhattan Beach (me and DH!)...LOL

jojo2324
09-23-2003, 05:41 PM
LOL!!! I was just reading the latest TV Guide (yup, you read right...), and there was a snippet about the History Channel. Here, a direct quote:

"On a recent evening we tuned into the History Channel to see what was new with WWII..."

Then they go on to talk about how they were surprised to find a show about fraternities and cleavage. Anyway, I thought it was VERY fitting!

Hmmm, what DON'T I watch? I am such a junkie, something I am trying to work on. We just downgraded to a cable package with (gulp) no premium channels, so no HBO. I am desperate to know what happens with SATC (Carrie and Big! Carrie and Big!!), and Curb Your Enthusiasm has me peeing my pants every episode.

SUNDAY - Alias!! I missed all last season because I had to work Sunday nights, but, oh my, Micheal Vartan is SUCH a cutie.

MONDAY - Sometimes, Everybody Loves Raymond, but I always catch those in repeats. Now that I am preggo again, Maternity Ward. (Bad JoJo, bad!)

TUESDAY - Oooh, this is a doozy day. DEFINITELY 24. I caught the 24-hour Labor Day marathon and it sucked me in big time. Then Law and Order SVU. I actually like this better than the original. But then there's that new MTV series, Nick and Jessica, and I can't NOT watch. It's so awful, the poor girl messes up an animal's name every episode. "Oh, I thought it was platypotamus....What were mouses doing in our pool?" And did anyone catch the Chicken of the Sea confusion??? "Honey, is there chicken in the sea? It says so on the can..."

WEDNESDAY - Law and Order

THURSDAY - I am a diehard NBC follower, so Friends, Scrubs, Will and Grace, and ER. Then there's that new one, Coupling...

FRIDAY - I am SO excited for MissMatch!! I think Alicia Silverstone is so adorable, and I think it's great that she's being given a second chance. Besides, my best friend looks like her.

Oh, and of course we watch the Daily Show Monday through Thursday. Because Jon Stewart is sooooooooo dreamy.

Is that enough, do you think? Now, to get DS to bed before primetime...LOL. :D

mom2kandj
09-23-2003, 05:50 PM
Deborah -

I think we are married to the same guy! I just bought him the latest Simpsons(3rd Season?) DVD set for his birthday! Last night, I had to "do the laundry upstairs" so that I could watch the end of Fear Factor rather than watching another WWII documentary on PBS(a Hitler crony)! Yes, my choice was a bit low brow, but I NEED that after a full day with my two!

Rose
mom 2 katie (33 months)
& Jack (16 months)

lukkykatt
09-23-2003, 05:54 PM
Must see: SATC, Nip/Tuck, West Wing, 24 Hours and The Shield.

Like to see: Survivor, Oprah (if kids are still napping), Alias.

Want to check out: Lyon's Den

barbarhow
09-23-2003, 06:46 PM
Am I the only fan of Monday Night Football?
West Wing, Law & Order (I've been known to watch 3 episodes in a row on TNT. Do I care that I've seen them multiple times???
CSI
Boomtown
Third Watch

DH is right with me on Monday nights
He loves the history channel and Discovery. He has seen the episode of the building of the Hoover Dam as often as I have seen some L&O episodes...
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

pritchettzoo
09-23-2003, 07:04 PM
Yay! There are other TV junkies!

SUNDAY
Alias
Sopranos
Sex & the City

MONDAY
Hmm...If I weren't afraid of embarrassing myself, I'd say 7th Heaven...

TUESDAY
Gilmore Girls

WEDNESDAY
West Wing

THURSDAY
Friends
Scrubs
CSI

FRIDAY
I think there's a new show we're looking forward to...

SATURDAY
College Football

Sadly, I'm sure I've left some out!

Anna

houseof3boys
09-23-2003, 07:32 PM
I feel better that we are not the only TV nerds..

Alias - I cannot wait until Sunday!!!
West Wing
Gilmore Girls
ER
Friends
Queer eye for the Straight Guy
Angel - very excited that Spike will be on
Monk
Ed
The Practice - excited about James Spader joining the now diminished cast
Nip Tuck
Miss Match - looks like it could be promising so we shall see

KMommie
09-23-2003, 08:11 PM
Everyone should have a tivo or other type of DVR!! DH and I watch all our shows this way. We actually have two! One for our livingroom and one in our bedroom! Yikes! We watch way too much tv, instead of sleeping. Most of our watching happens after 11pm, with a bad for you midnight snack! We're always catching up on CSI or L&O or JAG---we can get through an episode in 45 minutes, without the commercials!

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

cdlamis
09-23-2003, 09:03 PM
I may be the only one that doesn't watch shows like CSI and West Wing. I probably should since they seem like more intelligent shows but I LOVE all the mindless trashy MTV reality shows like Real World, Road Rules, Soroity Life, etc. We are thinking of cancelling our cable but I could not get by without my MTV!

Other than that, it's Friends, Will and Grace, 7th Heaven. One show that I am totally surprised that I like is Reba. When I am home on Friday nights, that's what I watch.

**Deborah- I think our DH's are related. My DH will laugh out loud anytime the Simpson's are on. He watches in every night and owns the DVD's. He also likes the 70's Show and has some weird facination with documentaries about boring topics.

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02

mharling
09-23-2003, 11:38 PM
Monk (So excited that Tony Shalhoub won an Emmy! Wish the season wasn't over already!!)
West Wing
Survivor
Malcolm in the Middle
Queer Eye
7th Heaven (got sucked in somehow; dh laughs at me!)
Trading Spaces

I'm curious about Coupling. Dh and I LOVE the British version and I'm skeptical that this one can measure up.

Also curious about Lyon's Den.

We have Tivo, but don't have it set up so we can record and watch something else at the same time. Need to work on that!

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b32e1840e40d - New 9/8

dogmom
09-24-2003, 07:46 AM
Now that we have TIVO (should have registered for it for the Baby Shower!)
I am really looking forward to watching the new shows and catching up on old.

New:
Angel (I actual enjoyed it more than Buffy last season, so I'm not in too much mourning about BtVS demise)
Dinner for Five on IFC (great show, check it out if you like indie films)
The Daily Show with John Stewart
Law & Order: Original & SUV
K Street (trying to follow it to see what it will turn into)

Old we're catching up on:
Farscape ( we got all season one, starting on the season 2 replays, don't get me started on how they canceled)
Charmed (although I think we've watched all of them)

Things we are looking forward to the new episodes:
South Park
Stargate (it will be a while)
Six Feet Under (ditto)

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03

Jenmv
09-24-2003, 05:51 PM
>I'm curious about Coupling. Dh and I LOVE the British
>version and I'm skeptical that this one can measure up.

Oh I love the British version of Coupling but I have reservations about the American verson too. I'm not sure I will find it as funny with the American actors. KWIM? I have a couple of gripes related to this show. Several months ago BBC America had been promoting the new upcoming season of Coupling and then I noticed no new episodes were ever aired. Could it be that they agreed not to air them because the American version will be using all of the same scripts? Second my holier-than-thou local NBC affiliate decided that the show was too racy and will NOT be running it. Aaaargh!! that ticks me off! If the show is crap than let people figure that out for themselves. I certainly wouldn't let my kids watch it but it infuriates me that our local affiliate WNDU(the ND part should give you a good clue as to where I live) is choosing to censor my choices based on their own standards. I guess you can show any immoral crap on TV as long as it is not about sex. Oh well, I live close enough to Chicago that I can point my antenna west and watch it from there. Haa, they can't stop me from watching trash!!

Okay this got rather long. Here are my other fav's

Good morning Miami(DH)
Scrubs
Friends
Nip/tuck
The Shield(DH is a cop, sees a lot of truth in this show, scary but true.)
South Park

gravymommy3
09-24-2003, 07:59 PM
Oh, I forgot about Scrubs. DH thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread... Oh, and he likes Mail Call (some army type show.)

parkersmama
09-24-2003, 11:14 PM
Sorry...TiVo only tapes one at a time but you can watch one while you record a different one.

I will say, life with TiVo is *terrific*! I don't know how anyone with children who enjoys any "must see" shows can live without it! Dh & I got one not too long after they came out and we've convinced practically everyone we know to get one!! LOL!

parkersmama
09-24-2003, 11:23 PM
Us too, Amy! Don't think I could live without Tivo!! I swear we watch less tv now because we watch what we record and don't just sit there looking around for things to watch (a.k.a the Dateline NBC syndrome!! LOL!).

parkersmama
09-24-2003, 11:31 PM
My favs:
West Wing
Law & Order (all of them but especially SVU)
Judging Amy (why, oh, why did they put SVU on at the same time?!? choices, choices)
ER (still tolerating it but it gets watched last ususally)
Friends
Third Watch
Queer Eye (when I catch it)
What Not to Wear

I really loved Crossing Jordan and I'm crushed to see that it must have been cancelled! I'm a sucker for a good cop/med examiner/who-dunit show! LOL!

luvbeinmama
09-26-2003, 12:35 AM
It is interesting to see what everyone is watching nowadays... we haven't had ours hooked up for the last 3 years. Before that we were Babylon 5 and Friends junkies, but that was it. I tell you, I haven't missed it in the least, either!