PDA

View Full Version : Amina Lawal exonerated!!!!!

Rachels
09-25-2003, 09:40 AM
What an unbelievable relief. It was on radio news this morning. For anyone who isn't familiar with this story, this is a Nigerian woman who was sentenced to be buried up to her neck and then stoned to death for having sex (and a baby) out of wedlock. The baby's father denied having slept with the mother, and was released without penalty or trial. What a horrifying, archaic situation. Thanks to everyone who participated with Amnesty International and other organizations to try to save this young mother's life. The world is a little better this morning.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

lukkykatt
09-25-2003, 10:29 AM
This is wonderful news! I saw her on Oprah last year and was shocked and saddened by her story. I am so happy for her and her baby.

Thanks for letting us know.

mama2be
09-25-2003, 10:38 AM
I am thrilled!!!
BUT for some reason this gal got attention when such activities go on all of the time, in some manner. I mean did many know before Sept 11th the life women were leading in Afganistan. When just 15 (don't quote me) years ago it's was a trendy fashionable place for women to live.

Or that in (I'm not going to name countries so I don't offend anyone) but that in a country I have longed to visit "virgin" girls are taken to brothels and it is believed that those with AIDS who have sex with them will be "cured"...

That in an Estern European Country (that I have visited) young educated women from other poor European countries sign up to be housekeeprs and are taken to a brothel and made to have sex some 20 times a day.

...and that in one country (atleast) if you rebuff a guys advances they can pour acid on yor face and disfigure you...
...in this same country that if you are RAPED that then men in your family can kill you because you are "dirty"...

I'm so glad this women is safe now...but the battle is far far from over, won, represented...
We really are not exposed to a lot of what is going on in this world to our "sisters"...

Cheers to Madeline Albright who took much of this on...

friedmana1
09-25-2003, 10:58 AM
That's wonderful news! I haven't heard anythng about this woman in a while, so it's nice to see that everyone's efforts really paid off here. Imagine what else we can do if we all get together...

Aimee
Mother to Leah 10/26/02
http://mystudio.kiddiekandids.com/options.asp?img=1495600&page=2

Andrea S
09-25-2003, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the good news. I remember her story on Oprah, but have not heard about her in awhile.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

Jenmv
09-25-2003, 04:59 PM
Once again Neve, you made a very good point. I for one am very thankful to have been born in a relatively civilized country where women have rights and are not treated as property under the law.

Momof3Labs
09-25-2003, 05:07 PM
I'm so glad that she was, too, but did you hear why? Something about they believe that conception takes place FIVE YEARS before a birth, and she was still married five years before the baby was born, so her then-husband is considered the father. I gotta find an article on this...